Snugtop Rebel vs A.R.E CX

pittsburgh

tacocat
Guys I've been trying to research a Snugtop Rebel vs A.R.E CX for my Tacoma with the following options, but I keep finding the same old threads with limited information;

Roof Rack
Drivers side windoor
Front slider
12v LED Light
Pop lock for my tailgate

Looks like the A.R.E saves me around $200-$250. Is the snugtop that much nicer and better quality than an A.R.E?

TwinStick

Explorer
I can only comment on mine. I have an ARE MX series. Yakima roof rack, 3 windoors/no windows, except the solid front. DSide tool box, LED lights, cloths hanger & carpeted. I have no complaints. I love it. Been on for 2+ years now & still no leaks, i have not removed it since it was installed. I use a Yakima load warrior basket w/extension & keep the camper spare tire up there. No issues at all. Very happy with my purchase. It is on our 2008 Dodge Power Wagon. Taking delivery of our new 2017 4 Runner TRD Premium tomorrow. Yeah.

pittsburgh

tacocat
TwinStick, thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the ARE CX. Seems like both brands are good quality. Buying the ARE puts a couple hundred dollars towards the move budget which is a good thing.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
FWIW I have a 2012 Tacoma DCSB, I sold my Leer 180 (raised roof) for a Snugtop Rebel with all of the options (keyless entry, reinforced roof (500lb capacity), Yakima tracks, double vented windoors, sliding front fold-down window, etc...).

I checked out the cab height offerings from the big three (Leer, ARE, and Snug). The Rebel seemed to have the best fit and finish. It's definitely a better made product when compared to my previously owned Leer. I leave my RTT mounted for most of the year and the Rebel supports it without issue. I mounted it via two 40mm Front Runner feet and 49" load bars (IIRC).

I'm not sure what bed configuration you have, but when I ordered my Rebel, Snugtop was the only vendor offering vented windoors for the Tacoma 5' short bed. I'm not sure how important vented windows are for you, but they're a must for me as my 70lb dog rides in the back. I would also recommend windoors for both sides of the shell. They are worth it, especially with the cab height ceiling (less headroom when crawling inside to retrieve or stow cargo). It's so much easier to reach in from the side.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
The only real downside with going with Snugtop (over Leer or ARE) would be the fact that their dealer network doesn't go past central TX (I think) - not 100% sure where their territory stops in the eastbound direction. If you ever move to the East Coast and have a warranty issue, the lack of dealer support in the area could pose a problem or at least delay the claim. That wouldn't deter my decision to purchase a Rebel, but to each their own.

perkj

Explorer
Snugtop has a $100 Sportsman option which brings the load baring weight of the top of the shell to 500 lbs...up from 200 lbs. If you plan on running a RTT or carrying anything heavy on the roof, I'd definitely recommend this option.

I went with a Snugtop Rebel with Sportsman Pkg, Windoors with Sliders, Front fold down window, rack tracks, and remote prolock. Absolutely love it:

IMG_6427.jpg

pittsburgh

tacocat
It was a tough decision, but, in the end A.R.E won out since I am moving back to Pittsburgh. Good thing there isn't a snugtop dealer back there other wise I would still be thinking it over. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles