SnowTaco - 2016 Tacoma Build / Travel Thread

whwv

Observer
After lurking on the site for some months, and learning so much, I’ve decided to put together a build thread to help me keep track of things, decisions I made, and places I’ve gone. I have had the truck for 8 months, so my first couple posts will be to catch up.

The vehicle: A 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Bed TRD-Off Road 4x4.
IMG_1612.jpg

I bought a used 1997 Tacoma 4x4 back in college which I drove for over 10 years and never had a single problem. Was a great truck. However, living in the CA Bay Area, commuting wasn’t exactly fun in that truck, especially with the manual transmission. So, I sold the Tacoma on Craigslist, and went to the BMW dealership and bought a BMW 328i Coupe.

The BMW was a great car for commuting and wine tasting, but not for the rest of my lifestyle which is mostly skiing and mountain biking, with some rock climbing and surfing thrown in. The car worked for a while since my wife has a 4Runner, but not having a truck around was an inconvenience and only having one 4x4 vehicle was limiting some of our weekend options. My wife was always calling the BMW useless, and although I defended the poor little guy for five years, deep down I knew it was true... I was going to have to go back to a truck.

I started looking for a truck in 2014. My requirements were for a truck that could get me to a remote trail head so I needed some off-road capabilities. However, my off-roading would not be rock crawling or anything even close to hard core and I preferred to keep the truck stock. I also needed at least a 6’ bed so that I could sleep comfortably in the bed on trips. A double cab was high on the priority list as I keep my vehicles for a long time and there was a good chance that eventually the truck would need to haul more than just my wife and me. I was heavily biased to the Tacoma based on my prior experience, but was open to other makes/models. I wanted the TRD Off-Road package because of the rear differential locker which had gotten me out of some jams in my old truck, but that package was only available on the Access Cab or the Double Cab Short Bed. Yes, I could always get an aftermarket locker from ARB, but I really wanted to keep things stock. In 2014, there were some baseless internet rumors that Toyota was going to refresh the Tacoma in 2015, and I wasn’t in a huge rush to pull the trigger, so I decided to wait.

2015 came and went and of course there was no Tacoma refresh. However, there was some reliable news coming out that there would be a 2016 refresh. I was having trouble waiting so I test drove a Tundra. That truck was a beast, but it was just too big. Wouldn’t fit in the garage with the 4Runner and parking it in Bay Area wouldn’t be fun. I then went to test drive the redesigned GMC Canyon which looked pretty good on paper. However, at the dealership I couldn’t drive any of them as they had been pulled of the lot for a recall since the airbags were wired incorrectly. That brought back my quality concerns for GMC/Chevrolet and I never went back.

By this time, I figure I’ll wait and see what the redesign is like. My thinking is hopefully they will have a DCLB TRD OR and I’ll be set. If they don’t, or I don’t like the redesign, I’ll get a 2015 DCLB and have the suspension upgraded and lockers installed. Someone leaks the model codes and allocations, and it turns out the 2016 has DCLB TRD OR configuration! The configuration that I wanted is the DCLB TRD OR in the color Quicksand with the technology and JBL options. There was flexibility with the JBL option, and a couple of other colors that I liked less but could live with. Once the truck actually started hitting the dealer lots, I was searching inventory just about everyday looking for a truck which met my requirements. I had dealt with my local dealerships and they weren’t very helpful so I was going to do the search on my own. On October 27 I see this search result on CraigsList:

2016 2016*Toyota TACOMA*4X4*Premium Tech*Quicksand*TRD OFFROAD*LONGBED - $40237 (burlingame)

FINALLY!!! I called the dealer who made the posting on CL, and make an appointment after work. I drove down to Putnam Toyota in Burlingame and the truck is waiting for me. Several people were looking at it stood out as it was there weren’t many of the new models out yet, and this was the only one in Quicksand. I took it out on a test drive and was hooked. Get back from the test drive, and ask what they would give me for the BMW which was in perfect shape and had less than 40k miles on an eight year old car. I wasn’t expecting a great deal on the trade in, but the offer was horrible. I got them to come up $1k, but it was still well below what I could sell it on my own. Since now I wasn’t going to trade anything in, I attempted in vain to negotiate on the price of the truck which was listed at MSRP. I had no leverage since this was the only truck in this configuration and dealer would not have any trouble selling it. Plus, if I didn’t get it now I would be probably waiting sometime to find another. Also to note, at this time some of the more shady dealerships were actually marking up the new Tacomas above MSRP! I played my last card, walked out of the dealership and they just let me go. I circle the block, and then do a walk of shame back into the dealership to tell them I’ll take it.

So, I sign the papers, leave the BMW in their service department parking to be picked up in a couple days, and drove off in the new truck ready to start some new adventures!

whwv

Observer
Mod 1 - Homelink Mirror

Since I was able to get all the options I wanted I didn’t think I would be making any modifications. But, less than a week after I bought it, the first mod is installed: An auto-dimming Homelink mirror to replace the standard auto-dimming mirror. The Homelink mirror was only available for the 2016 Tacoma Limited. I only lasted a couple days pulling out the garage door opener before I was ordering a replacement. Easy plug and play swap.

IMG_1790.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
Congrats on the truck ... your needs (wants) sound similar to mine; access to trail heads and remote camping, and saved by the locker I the past. I also watched those CL ads from Putnam Toyota but never had the time or motivation to drive that far, so ended up buying a lightly used TRD OR from my local dealer. I also got a shortbed, time will tell if that's going to be a problem but felt that a DCLB would be a handful in town or on the trail. Even so, this is the longest vehicle I've owned in 41 years of car/truck ownership. I found the short bed adequate for sleeping solo, but since my usual travel mode is with my wife and 2 mountain bikes in the bed, we just added a Tepui RTT and it's working great.

whwv

Observer
Congrats on the truck ... your needs (wants) sound similar to mine; access to trail heads and remote camping, and saved by the locker I the past. I also watched those CL ads from Putnam Toyota but never had the time or motivation to drive that far, so ended up buying a lightly used TRD OR from my local dealer. I also got a shortbed, time will tell if that's going to be a problem but felt that a DCLB would be a handful in town or on the trail. Even so, this is the longest vehicle I've owned in 41 years of car/truck ownership. I found the short bed adequate for sleeping solo, but since my usual travel mode is with my wife and 2 mountain bikes in the bed, we just added a Tepui RTT and it's working great.

Thanks! It is a bit long, but I'm getting used to it. I was torn on long bed vs short bed.

whwv

Observer
Mod 2 - Seat Covers and Floor Mats

In early November, I took the truck up to Mendocino for some mountain biking and camping. The mountain biking was great, and camping was working out fine in the bed. Well, until the final night... It was threatening to rain before I went to bed, so I secured a tarp over the bed just in case. I thought I had it quite secure by using several tie downs. Did not work out. I woke up in the middle of the night because the tarp has collected a couple gallons of water and is pushing against my face. I slowly try to move the pool of water down the tarp so that it will empty outside the bed. I almost got there, but just at the tailgate the water dumped into the bed. It had to have been a couple gallons, and both me and my sleeping bag were soaked. That marked the end of that camping trip, so I jumped into the truck at 3am and drive home.

IMG_1686.jpg
Before it all went bad...

After driving home soaked from Mendocino, I decided that I needed to protect the interior of the truck before it gets trashed. I had gotten the all weather mats, but they all they did was funnel the water under the seats. I decide to order a set of Husky X-Act Contours which fit perfectly and actually contain the water and melted snow.

IMG_1943.jpg
Before

IMG_1944.jpg
After

I also ordered a set of Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. I tried to install them myself but wasn’t happy with how it turned out. Luckily, I had a race down in SoCal about 45 minutes from Wet Okole so I made an appointment and had them install the covers while I was down there. They got the fronts in no problem, but had to make a small modification to the rear cover to get it to fit correctly. Glad I was able to get down there.

IMG_2033.jpg
Installing...

IMG_2173_2.jpg
Installed

With the new floor mats and seat covers, the car is close to being dirtbag proof!

whwv

Observer
Mod 3 - SnugTop Rebel

With the Mendocino tarp failure, it pretty obvious I was going to need to get a topper. There weren’t too many options available for the 2016 Tacoma yet, so I decided on a SnugTop Rebel. I ordered it from Campways and they called me as soon as it arrived and did a great job installing. No leaks or issues so far.

IMG_1881.jpg
Inspecting the new topper...

Before the topper arrived, I made a basic sleeping platform out of a piece of plywood and 2x6 planks. I wanted something that I could install and remove quickly and this met my needs! For storage, I used a plastic underbed storage container which slides under the platform. With an Exped MegaMat on top of the plywood, it's as comfortable as my bed at home!

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

whwv

Observer
Putting the SnowTaco in Snow

Packed up the back country gear and drove to Lassen at night.

Ready to go
IMG_2057.jpg

Woke up to this
IMG_2078.jpg

Was a good day in the back country
IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_2087_2.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Paradise Royale? I haven't gone yet but really want to get up there. Doing a family trip next week Avenue of the Giants. Tempted to pack the real MT and see if the wife will let me go ride. Though kinda doubt that will happen this trip. So daddy pack mule old beater MT it will be.
Our Subaru OB is our go too Bay Area do it all and our camping rig. I have a Sequoia but its too big for Bay Area parking so we pretty much never use it.

My dream rig 4dr mid sized 4x4 diesel Canyon. I can tolerate minor quality things "I have a Subaru" they arent exactly perfect. The taco fails the wife test. Too rough and interior comfort fails in her view. Unhappy wife ='s it aint happening.

whwv

Observer
Paradise Royale? I haven't gone yet but really want to get up there. Doing a family trip next week Avenue of the Giants. Tempted to pack the real MT and see if the wife will let me go ride. Though kinda doubt that will happen this trip. So daddy pack mule old beater MT it will be.
Our Subaru OB is our go too Bay Area do it all and our camping rig. I have a Sequoia but its too big for Bay Area parking so we pretty much never use it.

My dream rig 4dr mid sized 4x4 diesel Canyon. I can tolerate minor quality things "I have a Subaru" they arent exactly perfect. The taco fails the wife test. Too rough and interior comfort fails in her view. Unhappy wife ='s it aint happening.

Yeah, I made it Paradise Royale on that trip. Great single track and camping. Only problem with Paradise Royale is that the trailhead is about 3 hours from Mendocino. Need to do a couple laps out there to make it worth the additional drive.

IMG_1643_2.jpg

IMG_1640.JPG

Looked at the Subaru OB and really liked it. My wife surprised the dealer a bit when the first thing she asked was to put the seats down to see if she could sleep in the back comfortably... Tacoma interior has come a long way, but not going to lie about the seats. They are still Tacoma seats...

The diesel wasn't available for the Canyon when I bought the Tacoma, but that sounds like a nice setup!

Attachments

• IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 48

whwv

Observer
Removing TRD Decals

After the topper was installed, I didn't really like how the TRD decals were almost under the topper.

Before
IMG_2124.jpg

I went back and forth for a couple weeks about pulling them off, and finally decided in May to do it. Most of the forums had people saying they peeled right off. Well, I went for it, and perhaps they peel right off if they are new, but after a couple months of being exposed to the elements they are a ***** to remove.

I left the truck in the sun and used a hair dryer to try and soften the decals. The decals came off almost whole, but there was a lot of adhesive left on the truck.

This is going to take some work
IMG_2126_2.jpg

A combination of rubbing alcohol and adhesive removers took about an hour per side to remove by scrubbing with a rag. After I got it the best I could, I could still see some residue at the right angle. However, I was done with it so I waxed the truck. When I went to remove the dried wax, the remaining adhesive came off and it ended up coming out ok.

Final
IMG_2128.jpg

Lesson learned: either remove the decals immediately or order one of those 3M adhesive remover wheels from Amazon as nobody carries them locally...

Last edited:

whwv

Observer
Camper Curtains

It's now June, and I'm finally caught up with posts. I’ve spent quite a few weekends camping in the bed of the truck during mountain bike trips and backcountry skiing.

Just a few examples
IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

Everything has been working pretty well, but I’ve realized I need some curtains. For privacy, stealth camping if needed, and mostly so that I can sleep in past sunrise. I look on the web, and there are plenty of ideas out there. My main concern is that I don’t want to put any holes in the liner or have bulky curtain rods. I took a first shot at some redneck curtains by just running a taunt piece of twine over the windows which were anchored by two of the window frame screws. Yeah, that doesn’t work as the twine will sag with the weight of whatever you are draping over it.

So, I decided to put a little bit of effort into it and make something that will work and provide some insulation. I bought a roll of reflectix from Lowes, along with some medium strength double sided velcro. The velcro attaches to a carpeted headliner, and Reflectix is not heavy, so I was worried that the industrial strength velcro would pull off the headliner and make removing the curtains harder than necessary.

Reflectix Curtains
IMG_2158.jpg

I cut the Reflectix down to size, attached some bits of velcro, and the curtains were complete! They work better than expected as they block out the light and provide some decent insulation. I also placed the velcro so that I could open the windows and have the Reflectix still attached to half the window. I keep it rolled up when not in use, and it installs in less than a minute.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yup I like the Tacomas but the seat comfort makes it a no go if the wife nixes it.

Curious what your top MT must ride trails are. I was out of the loop for a few yrs. Little kids but starting to get back to it again. Itching to ride....

whwv

Observer
I ride a lot in the East Bay for convenience, but my favorite areas right now are up in Mendocino. There's so much single track up there that I'm still trying to figure the trails out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior