Snowshoeing?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Ok so I just turned 30 and I'm suddenly thrust into this mindset of wanting to try some new things...I dunno maybe I'm just fearful of being that much closer to death so I need to fit it all in. I have no idea where it came from but I have this sudden urge to go snowshoeing this winter (if winter ever comes). I'm an avid hiker and outdoor-type-chick, but I have never been snowshoing. The closest I ever came were the old wooden racket looking shoes my parents had hanging in the garage from when we used to live in Michigan. My god, I've lived in Minnesota too and still have never done this!

Well, its time! Time for a new adventure! I'm looking for advice! On everything...equipment, what to have, where to go, whats good, whats not, whats to expect! My other half gave me the "strange look" when I told him I wanted to do this so maybe even people to go with! I'm just looking for some quick weekend day trips maybe up to Flag or something. Any advice would be great!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I just noticed the 'winter sports' subforum. Feel free to move it.

Last edited:

jcbrandon

Explorer
Step 1: rent snowshoes
Step 2: drive to snow
Step 3: park car
Step 4: strap on snowshoes
Step 5: commence walking
Step 6: rest when tired, drink tasty hot beverage, return to car

Seriously, if you want to try snowshoeing, just do it. The learning curve is that easy. The second time you go out, rent a different type of showshoe. After a few excursions, you'll figure out what style you like. Everything else is just refinement. Most of your existing winter gear will be useful: a light backpack and decent clothing are all you need. Some folks wear hiking boots, some wear running shoes.

If you are in good shape, carry a light shovel and a thin sleeping pad. Use the shovel when you stop for lunch to dig a little trench. Use the sleeping pad to sit on to insulate your rear end from the snow. Put your feet in the trench and you have an instant table from which to serve your tasty hot beverage.

Hiking on snowshoes is not a gear-intensive activity, unless you want it to be. When you first try it, you don't want it to be complicated.

It's big fun and easy to learn. You'll like it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Like J.C. says, pretty much if you can walk, you can snowshoe. Stick to existing easier summer hiking trails at first, low angle National Park and state park trails are ideal. It only gets complicated when you're going into the backcountry and that's from route finding, avy avoidance, etc., not so much from the 'shoeing itself. I highly recommend Crescent Moon Snowshoes, they are made in Boulder, CO... OK, as you might expect, they're not as cheap as imported ones, but hey, you get shoes made by a family owned business. In all seriousness, watch Craigslist or the local gear swaps, a set of used Redfeather, Tubbs or Atlas (the big names) will serve you fine and if you get hooked, then upgrade. But it is a good idea to try a few first to see how big or small of a platform you need (remember to account for the weight of your backpack, too!) and if the shape works with your stride. Key is to have fun!

Willman

jcbrandon said:
Step 1: rent snowshoes
Step 2: drive to snow
Step 3: park car
Step 4: strap on snowshoes
Step 5: commence walking
Step 6: rest when tired, drink tasty hot beverage, return to car

:elkgrin:

That is about it!!!!....I bought some used snowshoes a while back and bought my wife a pair for a gift!...It is a great workout!....Just about all of my family on my wifes side has them.....It is fun to have family hikes.....If you are wanting to go into the backcountry.....must take steps in safety......

Overall....I love the sport!.....

:)

Spenser

Adventurer
Agreed-my cross country skis have not had as much use since I got my snow shoes. The only other thing to add is you might want to take some XC poles with you, that makes life a little easier and dress more lightly than you would for skiing, for some reason I sweat way more on the shoes than I did on skis. And be forewarned, your thighs are going to hurt the next morning from the leg workout the shoes will give you

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
If you decide you like it, buy some women-specific design snow shoes. The bindings are offset relative to mens snowshoes to account for women's hip width and accompanying narrower stance.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
During the winter my daughter and I snowshoe every evening to walk the dog.

We subscribe to JC's advice and add;

Don't step on your own snowshoes or the person's in front of you.
Dogs like to walk on top of your snowshoes.
Running in snowshoes is fun.
Running down hill in shoe shoes is more fun.
Running down hill, falling, and having the dog jump all over you is the best.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Snowshoeing on its own is not real exotic. I normally use snow shoes in conjuction with other winter objectives like getting to ice climbs, mountaineering, etc. By itself, it can be just like hiking, but with twice the effort for half the distance. Great workout.

The learning curve consumes all of about 10 minutes and 200 feet.

When/if we get a big dumper of snow in Flag, go rent some shoes and go for a hike.

I'd also toss in the suggestion you spice this up with some skis. Snowshoes are great for deep snow in areas with lots of rolling changes in terrain or through areas with thick tree coverage, etc. Wider cross country ski set ups are perhaps more efficient than snowshoes as they allow for a little glide. Slightly steeper learning curve, but nothing like downhilling.

Either way, there's nothing better than walking/skiing through a dead silent forest after a fresh snow.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Wow thank you everyone for the great info! I'm going to give this a try this winter for sure. Hopefully we will get some snow up in Flag. I'm assuming REI rents snowshoes since they rent everything else. My biggest questions were what kind of shoes to wear with the snowshoes and if I should take the poles or not. I've never been cross-country skiing before either so this is all new to me. I know Josh is a little more interested in doing that but snowshoeing seems to be a bit more in my budget right now.

If anyone in AZ heads out this winter please let me know, I'd like to tag along!:sombrero:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Miss R2FJ said:
Wow thank you everyone for the great info! I'm going to give this a try this winter for sure. Hopefully we will get some snow up in Flag. I'm assuming REI rents snowshoes since they rent everything else. My biggest questions were what kind of shoes to wear with the snowshoes and if I should take the poles or not. I've never been cross-country skiing before either so this is all new to me. I know Josh is a little more interested in doing that but snowshoeing seems to be a bit more in my budget right now.

If anyone in AZ heads out this winter please let me know, I'd like to tag along!:sombrero:
I'm sure REI will have shoes. The shoes you use are relative to your weight and the floofiness (tech term) of the snow. The lighter, more powdery the snow, the bigger the shoe needs to be to achieve the float you need. For the most part, a medium sized deck will work for all scenarios. You'll want some gators and waterproof/breathable layers. DO use poles. I use treking poles with snow baskets so I can put them on my pack if I don't want to use them. Anyone who hikes or backpacks much probably already has poles, right? That might be a good purchase if you don't have them.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
My family and I have rented them a few times. They all loved it. They're easy to buy for...all under 150lbs. Me...not so much, or may be too much..290lbs. Have any "heavy" folks used some that were better than others? I'm in the buying mood. Thanks all,
Chas

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Chas Stricker said:
My family and I have rented them a few times. They all loved it. They're easy to buy for...all under 150lbs. Me...not so much, or may be too much..290lbs. Have any "heavy" folks used some that were better than others? I'm in the buying mood. Thanks all,
Chas
The bigger the load, the bigger the deck. The same applies for a small hiker with a big pack or even a medium sized hiker in really light snow. There's not too much draw back to hiking in a shoe that's slightly bigger than necessary, but hiking in too small a shoe has obvious drawbacks...you sink!

There's tons of shoes out there to chose from. You could start an entire shoe buying thread and get all sorts of opinions and buying ideas. Not all shoes are alike and your budget might be a consideration as well. Best bet, go rent until you find the ruby slipper shoe for you.

Spenser

Adventurer
Chas-I am a big man, 300lbs and Tubbs has a shoe for men our size! They work, and are very usable. Give them a look when you go shopping

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I use mine to get to some of the ponds I fish on in the winter. Good excercise and lots of fun. Do get poles though:arabia:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would second the recommendations on skis. It realy largely depends on terrain. If flat snow shoes are easy (and keep you in shape) and it is much like hiking. Cross Country skis give a full work out and cruise really well and add a little excitement. There is more learning curve but they are a blast and on mild terrain in 2-3 skis you are pretty comfortable on them...

Both will be fun regardless...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94