Snowshoeing

98dango

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have been talking about winter activities we can do in Montana. A few days ago snowshoeing came up as we love to camp in winter. So last night I bought some inexpensive shoes off Amazon. I don't know if there even the right type or size but at any rate this will be a fun experience and if not I'm only out $160 live and learn.

by the way I purchased some MTN Apollo 30"

The shoe frames are made of lightweight 6000 series Easton aluminum tubing and the decks are made of durable, lightweight Nytex material.
• The bindings are molded around a man's boot to cradle and pad the arch and ball of the foot, so there are no pressure points.
• The lacing system holds your feet securely and easy Fast-Loc buckles make donning and doffing quick and simple.
• Accommodate user up to 255 lbs (Optimized Weight: 180-250 lbs)
• Dimension: 8.4" X 30", Weight: 4.8 lbs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zj6R3o6TL.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
We just received our snowshoes and so far impressed for the price. We will be leaving in the morning for a trip so it's good time ing

762X39

Explorer
We just received our snowshoes and so far impressed for the price. We will be leaving in the morning for a trip so it's good time ing
Have fun on your trip. My first snowshoe trip was during my winter warfare course (being a soldier in the reserves in Canada, this was no stretch). I bought a set of bearpaw style wooden snowshoes that I use to this day (about 25 years). Just getting out in winter is awesome.:coffee:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well the Suburban is all loaded up. We plan to head out at noon for 2-3 days got fire wood quads snowshoes and food so we should be good.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Good luck. We just got our shoes for Christmas. My wife, 9 yo son, and myself go in the woods with them whenever we can. My 17.5 year old son is the capitan of the high school hockey team so we are tied up with that ALOT. Have been since he was 5. Every weekend for the past however long was always hockey hockey hockey. Thank god that is over. I spent my life outdoors, winter, summer, spring and fall. And getting back to that this year is a treat. We are trading/selling our suburban with plow for a 3 seat side x side to get us out in the woods more. I can leave right from my house and be in the back country in 10 mins without driving on pavement. SO, this is a no brainer.

Snowshoeing is an awesome activity. It does not cost much to get into, and its great for you. Plus, anytime you can get out in the wilderness, light a fire, cook on it, its a good day!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
The shoe frames are made of lightweight 6000 series Easton aluminum tubing and the decks are made of durable, lightweight Nytex material.
• The bindings are molded around a man's boot to cradle and pad the arch and ball of the foot, so there are no pressure points.
• The lacing system holds your feet securely and easy Fast-Loc buckles make donning and doffing quick and simple.
• Accommodate user up to 255 lbs (Optimized Weight: 180-250 lbs)
• Dimension: 8.4" X 30", Weight: 4.8 lbs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zj6R3o6TL.jpg

Hard to go wrong with the bear paws. They're a good all around design. I still have the set I bought 33 yrs ago when I lived in Maine. They're old school wood and rawhide construction and not of much use since I moved to Ohio, but I could never bring myself to get rid of them.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Love snowshoes for getting out in snow where it would be a chore otherwise. Good activity, winter is always so great. Love the cold! Have fun!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Went snow shoeing for the first time yesterday, Its a good time, mine were a steal from a used sporting goods store, we're supposed to be a little more than $100, but were 25 because one of the nylon straps was about torn through, around here they're like Xc skis, people own them, never use them and sell them so they're easy to find cheap, for about 30 bucks total, with my repair, I had a brand new set of Yukon Charlie denalis, after half an hr of my time, super happy I got them, now for a set of bushwacker Xc skis

fredeharley8

I have TSL 225 snowshoes, which are sort of general purpose but the bindings can be a bit of a pain. Friends who bought snowshoes more recently have snowboard-style ratchet bindings which are much better.

I'd go somewhere like Decathlon with a decent range and ask their advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles