Snowpeak Home & Camp Burner

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Herbie,

how cold haveyou been able to use your stoves with straight butane canisters?

The Kovea canisters are an iso-butane that I’m going to try. My brother and I are splitting a case to bring down the per can cost.
Plus in the interest of allows being able to use any found source of compressed gas fuel, I’ll have adapters and hose to run from butane, Jet Boil, propane, etc

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I haven't really stress-tested them in cold weather. They've never failed to light, but my coldest morning probably only around 35°F. I specifically sized the drawer in my van cabinet to hold one of my butane stoves, so when push comes to shove, I can at least boil water inside the van (with a window cracked), though I'd never cook solid food inside. If it were sufficiently cold, the canister could be warmed in my sleeping bag for a few minutes. Once the stove is lit, it's self-sustaining because the fuel is pre-heated by design.

I keep a few different white-gas stoves in the garage, and if I were ever planning to do serious cold-weather camping, I'd probably bring one or more of those instead.

I should be careful in my butane evangelism to specify that I think it's my best fuel for my primary usage, which is weekend to week-long trips in fair-ish weather. If I were going round-the-world or snow camping on a regular basis, I'd stick to white-gas (and just run gasoline for the RTW scenario). If I were doing longer off-grid trips in North America, I might prefer propane for the ability to store larger amounts. If I were full-timing in the Americas, fuel-agnosticism as you propose would be a good idea. (Especially since I've read of a lot of hassles of trying to get bulk propane fills outside North America as many Central/South American countries seem to have unique fitting requirements, requiring a mess of adapters.)

alia176

Explorer
I have a single burner stove like GasOne and I love the simplicity and turn down features of it. However, I hate the fact that I can't refill these Iso-Butane canisters. I refill my 1lb propane bottles so there's less guilt on using them. This burner looks to be the cat's meow, I won't lie! The form factor is super sweet.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Herbie,
Haven't noticed the butane canisters at my local Asian market. Will have to go down a few more aisles or just ask.
Thanks for the tip.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I've got the similar thing in pure butane. The major issue is that the butane and isobutane stoves lack cold weather burn-ability due to the fuel not vaporizing. In my area they are good until the thermometer plummets, I use mine in late spring to early autumn . For Winter BC style I revert to my MSR WHISPERLIGHT .

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Ok, at first glance this stove looks neat I guess. But unlike my Iwatani single burner you can’t leave the butane canister connected/stored together, so not sure how much space is really saved. And looks like lots of pivots/joints/moving parts...

How about its performance in wind? Small pot/vessel compatible?

Last edited:

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I just recently bought one of these to go along with my ultralight isobutane stove. The GS-600 is a pretty solid stove in terms of what kind of cookware I can use on it. I've been using it at home with pretty much full-size pots and pans - stuff that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting on the ultralight stove. It also has a quiet burner, which is a nice change from the turbo sound coming from my ultralight stove.

It has some interesting features. One of the legs is a bottle opener, for example.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find out that the 8oz butane canisters are cheaper than the 8oz isobutane canisters.

Also another interesting thing is that the design of the production GS-600 is different from the initial prototype that Snow Peak created a few years ago. The finished design rotates the stove opposite to the direction that I would have expected, which is the long way around. From what I can tell, this is because the heat shield is fixed in place. I'm assuming that this change was made to prevent the butane canister from getting torched by the burner just in case someone operated the stove without the heat shield.

The prototype design (I've attached pictures below) seems to have been designed the opposite way to the production design - no fixed heat shield, the burner assembly rotated the "right way" around, and locks at an angle. The prototype also seemed to hide the burner control inside the body of the stove when folded, while the production unit exposes it on one side (again, because of the fact that the stove opens opposite to the direction the burner is located.)

Attachments

• foldable-gas-burner-2.jpg
    foldable-gas-burner-2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
  • foldable-gas-burner.jpg
    foldable-gas-burner.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I haven’t had much success with butane stoves at 35f. Had to start up the truck and put the canister on the defrost for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier