Snowboarding Questions

WFTW

Adventurer
I grew up surfing in Florida and when I joined the Army and got stationed in VA, I took up snowboarding. I caught on quick, but haven't done it in 10 years.

The snowboard I had at the time was a Morrow MP6 (believe that was the model). It was a great board and I'd like to get a similar one again. I'm guessing the length should be about 160 (I'm 6 feet tall).

Do any of you know anything about snowboarding? Could you recommend a snowboard that has the flexibility needed for a half pipe as well as the sturdiness needed for slalom?

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
I have two boards that I could ride, tho one is my main board.

I'm six feet tall and ride a 155 all mountain board. Its a Santa Cruz and my other board is a Burton. the SC is a little stiffer and out west some like to ride slightly shorter boards because of the fresh powder we get vs. the packed powder and machine groomed of the east.

My Burton is a freestyle and I'd rather ride the SC.

Never Summer makes some excellent boards, high quality and some variance with flex.
When you get back to the states, rent or borrow a few different styles before you find one you like.

http://www.neversummer.com/snowboards.html

WFTW

Adventurer
SWDesertTaco said:
I have two boards that I could ride, tho one is my main board.

I'm six feet tall and ride a 155 all mountain board. Its a Santa Cruz and my other board is a Burton. the SC is a little stiffer and out west some like to ride slightly shorter boards because of the fresh powder we get vs. the packed powder and machine groomed of the east.

My Burton is a freestyle and I'd rather ride the SC.

Never Summer makes some excellent boards, high quality and some variance with flex.
When you get back to the states, rent or borrow a few different styles before you find one you like.

http://www.neversummer.com/snowboards.html

Those are some nice boards...I like the Legacy model. The 156cm would work and it looks as though it's got a decent width to it.

I hadn't thought about the whole east coast vs. west coast thing. I did most of my riding on the ice in the east coast (need sharp edges) but did get the opportunity to go to Aspen for a week and LOVED it...powder is SOOO nice. :drool:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have an older Never Summer board. It was my go-to board for backcountry romps when I lived in Alaska. I really like their boards, but then again......I'm mostly a tele skier so take that recommendation with a grain of salt. :)

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
Flounder said:
I have an older Never Summer board. It was my go-to board for backcountry romps when I lived in Alaska. I really like their boards, but then again......I'm mostly a tele skier so take that recommendation with a grain of salt. :)

honestly, I would trust the word of a tele skiers opinion of a snowboard over the opinion of typical downhill skier!

dlbrunner

Adventurer
I have not really ridden in the last 6 years, so my knowledge of brands etc... is a little low. I was always a Burton man. I have a 173 but unless it is really steep and deep, it is an effort for me to ride. It is a real gunboat, but it can cut through crud really well

I am about 6 foot 165 lbs. I am most comfortable on 160-165, They are easy to throw around. Plus with the newer geometry of the sidecuts, they have a very long "effective edge" that makes them stable at speed.

155, and under just feel a little to squirrly at speed. I like to go fast though.

I would go for an all around freeriding board, the freestyle ones are a little flexy for my tastes. My opinion though.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I'd get 2 boards, short and flexible for the parks and a longer ridged board for powder and speed. Look at used sporting good stores or craigslist for some good deals; you can probably get two used or discontinued boards for the price of a new model. I like Ride, Burton, and Morrow. Use the money you save on good boots. Don't skimp on boots! Cheap boots can ruin your day, but with good boots you can pretty much ride any board and do O.K. Don't settle for cheap bindings either, I like Flow bindings, they are not very popular but they are easy to get in and out of and they are comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior