Snow

What tire pressures do you run in fresh snow? I was up in the Sierra and had a few hours to play so I took the jeep up sun plowed road at first it was only a few inches deep then more than a foot. But there were deep tracks that I assumed were from another 4X but the tread pattern in the snow looked funny I couldn’t figure out what tire made them. Then about 6700 feet the sno got much deeper and I was having trouble staying in the tracks so I decided to turn around,. Almost got stuck. Headed down the road and a razor with tank treads came up. Now I knew why the tracks looked funny! So what pressure is good low or high?

Smileyshaun

Observer
I usually run between 12-8psi depending on the depth . Under a foot of snow I usually won’t air down unless it’s icy .
It will vary a lot depending on vehicle weight , tire size , tire stiffness and your comfort level with going low but the lower the better 4CBEE0A2-218E-45C7-AB49-CA7A281D5CF3.jpeg7DF6B2A2-CCDD-45B1-B94C-0294F148D390.jpeg527FDDD4-38DC-459B-9070-44D567FA441A.jpegD7EFF25E-B87F-403A-90B4-11EED76244BE.jpeg13306E46-7B54-4B07-9EA0-C797A8FFF850.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeep

Adventurer
Nice shots of snow wheeling! Just remember not to wheel alone. That's a good way to freeze to death!

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For the street my normal tire pressure (24 psi).
For normal (less than axle deep) snow wheeling off road 12-24 psi; depending on the; tires, trail, snow depth and snow type.
For extreme depth, requiring maximum flotation (stop and you are high centered) 7 to 15 psi, depends on trail and snow type/conditions... I have gone as low as 4 psi in very deep fresh powder (makes waves as you drive).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

wADVr

Adventurer
Depends on the vehicle. My XJ on 33s is very capable with 8psi. It doesn’t have beadlocks so going lower say 4 is only in extreme cases. But it weights maybe 4300 lbs. My JKU (37s) on the other hand is far less capable at the same PSI. Having beadlocks I run as low as 1.5 but am more comfortable at 4-5 psi. But I assume my JKU weighs in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs.

my usual approach to airing down is to step it down. I run 32 normally and will air down to 18-22 If it starts getting deep and I am pushing more than I am floating I’ll step it down to 12, then 4-5 and if I am extremely determined 2. My snow travel method is low impact, low drama until absolutely necessary.

I do run lower pressures than most but do so for less impact to the terrain and wear on my vehicle With no downsides other than taking an extra minute or so to air up.

shade

Depends on the vehicle. My XJ on 33s is very capable with 8psi. It doesn’t have beadlocks so going lower say 4 is only in extreme cases. But it weights maybe 4300 lbs. My JKU (37s) on the other hand is far less capable at the same PSI. Having beadlocks I run as low as 1.5 but am more comfortable at 4-5 psi. But I assume my JKU weighs in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs.

my usual approach to airing down is to step it down. I run 32 normally and will air down to 18-22 If it starts getting deep and I am pushing more than I am floating I’ll step it down to 12, then 4-5 and if I am extremely determined 2. My snow travel method is low impact, low drama until absolutely necessary.

I do run lower pressures than most but do so for less impact to the terrain and wear on my vehicle With no downsides other than taking an extra minute or so to air up.
I've found it depends on the tyre, too. I run lower pressures with a Cooper S/T Maxx-Load E than I did with the much flexier Goodyear DuraTrac-Load C.

wADVr

Adventurer
And the follow-up question: What shovel do you use?

I don’t use this exact shovel but this type. Using many different shovels over the years this type works best for me. It might not be for everyone but I find this type best for chipping away at packed snow and ice under the axles or frame. The straight angle allows me to chop branches, ice frozen gravel and rocks etc. the D handle allows one handed use under the vehicle.

Fiskars 46 Inch Steel D-handle Square Garden Spade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BX4SLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CTojEb0KG4S6S

I always go alone ( odd days off ) but keep it mild and always have plenty of overnight gear and worst case snow shoes .
This time I was alone but my Jeep is well equipped so a was i and someone had broken trail ahead of me I often go alone but I don’t push the limit it would ave along walk out 7-8 miles I saw another Jeep when I was headed out. I have tremendous respect for Mother Nature.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
As stated, the lower the better. If you think you'll get in trouble you can creep forward a little, back up, creep up a little more, repeat. It helps pack the snow ahead of you so you don't break through in the deep stuff. This technique can work in sand too if there is a bottom to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles