Snow Peak Addiction

cactusjk

Explorer
Definitely sad. The only way to keep up with SP is to buy as soon as it is available. Been building my collection since 2006. It also helps to stay on the good side of the staff who can usually find something.

geojag

Looking at Snow Peak on Ebay makes you realize how crazy some people are! Someone has a Baja Burner listed for over $500. Glad I got one when REI had them in stock.....

DesertSand05

Observer
Other than this forum, Snow Peak isn’t a huge thing in the US. Most of the stuff your seeing on eBay is from the international market, your not buying from US sellers. So it’s going to be very expensive.

There seemed like a time when more people on this site were into snow peak stuff. People come and go when it comes to camping and used stuff would come up every once in a while.

It’s funny it used to be snow peak wind screens that everyone looked for, now it’s 2U frames, SU grills, and Baja burners. All things that were never really rare like the wind screens and it does seem like snow peak is doing a good job carrying almost everything the Japan store does.

TooGouda

Eeeekkk! I found a place online that supposedly has a Baja burner in stock. I put in my order... now I wait to see if the warehouse actually has what their computer system says they do, Otherwise I found one in Japan but it will basically cost me double or more to get it shipped to my house

Ragman

I got to use the Takibi Solo last night and think it is a fine addition to the collection. If you want to check it out and hear my thoughts the video is here-

I also noticed some comments on the Solo Stoves. I have a couple videos on the page for those as well. One video you might want to check out is my comparison of the large Takibi, the Solo Bonfire and the Pop-Up Pit here-

I hope you find these interesting

Riptide

Explorer
Eeeekkk! I found a place online that supposedly has a Baja burner in stock. I put in my order... now I wait to see if the warehouse actually has what their computer system says they do, Otherwise I found one in Japan but it will basically cost me double or more to get it shipped to my house

Man, I hope you like it, for the amount of effort you've put into scoring one. I'm not a huge fan, myself. The flat burner is a better unit.

Ragman

Snow Peak Takibi Solo: First Impressions

Got the Solo yesterday. Here are my initial thoughts. I have not used it yet.

Very nice unit; drips with typical SP quality. The Japanese (or Chinese, depending on where this was made) are masters of stainless steel. Just gorgeous, and of a nice gauge. Sturdy, without being excessive. It’s not light, but it’s SS, and just bombproof.

Brilliant design. The basin rests in notches in the legs, and are held captive by the extended rods thru holes in the legs. When the legs are folded downward, the basin is pinned in place. But the holes are precisely placed; they limit how far inward the bottoms of the legs can travel. This is key, as the bottom heat shield/tray hooks over the bottom cross brackets of each leg set. The tray pulls the legs in, against the tension of the basin pins pushing the legs out. When the tray is hooked in place, the entire unit becomes very rigid, much more so that a SP Pack and Carry fire pit. This is nice, because one can easily move this unit around your site (with gloves, obviously, if burning). Moving a P&C can be a bit tenuous.

The form factor of the Solo makes it a little more stable, in my opinion. While I’ve never tipped a P&C, I’m damn careful with wood placement. With the Solo, the bottom length is longer than the fire box, and the wood sits pretty low (although after looking at the pictures, not as low as I thought). Very nice. As with the P&C, the sloped sides probably radiate and reflect heat pretty well; I’ve always been impressed how a P&C can throw off heat. Plenty of slots and holes in the Solo sides for makeup air to be drawn in, especially down low, which is important. The instructions say the slots are to limit warping of the sides.

The integrated grill support on the Solo also makes for great handles. However, the grill is a fixed height, unlike that of the P&C bridge/grills. You’ll have to adjust temperature with the amount of wood, not by adjusting height of cooking surface. I like that they used an existing grill net, as there are other SP pieces that are the same size. You could probably rest larger pans or griddles on the tops of the legs, as long as the unit was level.

One of the reasons I got this was that I like the idea of being able to use longer pieces of firewood than a small P&C, and yet still have a small unit overall. It seems perfect in that regard. The bottom of the firebox measures 9.5” long, while the top is 13” long. The box is 8.5” wide at the top, and about 4.5” deep.

Cleaning the Solo might be slightly harder, mainly because the P&C is astoundingly easy. I carry these small dustpan/brush units everywhere. I probably have 10 of them between the shop, camper, cabin, and trucks. Slim and handy, the brush makes quick work of sweeping out a P&C before folding it up. The Solo might be a bit harder, although I like the idea of flipping up an end panel and sweeping it out. We’ll see in actual use.

As far as setup and breakdown, the P&C can’t be beat; it takes mere seconds. The Solo is measured in minutes; maybe 2 or 3.

Weight is probably a draw. My P&C all have the cast iron bedplates, and my medium P&C also has a Large bedplate for when we use lump charcoal to cook; you get a larger hot surface area, with an even layer of coals as compared to firewood. So my P&C’s are no lightweights.

The Solo might also lend itself to tabletop use, something I would never try with a P&C. Somebody on the SP site suggested you could even flip the unit upside down for use as a table, since the bottom tray is captive. I did try to see if an IGT stove unit would fit; the grill net is sort of the same size. I tried the Baja and the Flat Burner. The short answer is no, and probably by design, although the Flat Burner could work with a little surgical cutting of it's frame. Dealing with the knob and fuel canister would also be a challenge. Maybe a future project.

In summary, it would be hard to recommend one over the other. They both have their strengths, and since they’re both SP, you’ll be happy with either. Or better yet, both.

Don't judge. I'm almost embarassed to admit I have two others as well. The medium gets the most use by far, and we've probably had it 10 years:
View attachment 669090

Relative heights:
View attachment 669091

All-important locking joint:
View attachment 669092

You can flip up the end triangles for dumping or sweeping out:
View attachment 669093

My handy brush. I use these things everywhere:
View attachment 669094
Hey Riptide. That is quite the collection you have there! I just posted (above) my review of the new Takibi Solo on the YouTube channel (above) and am of a like mind with you on my thoughts. I was happy with the way that it burned and didn't clog and look forward to getting some real world testing done with it in the next few months. It looks like the medium is your go to pit size-do you like that size better than the other two?

DesertSand05

Observer
Man, I hope you like it, for the amount of effort you've put into scoring one. I'm not a huge fan, myself. The flat burner is a better unit.

When I first started getting the IGT setup, I could have gotten a few Baja burners used and new just after the flat burner just came out. The portability of the flat burner really sold me, and the fact that Drifta made a cool case for it :) That kind fo sealed the deal for me.

The best option as far as flexibility vs weight and bulk was carrying two flat burners. The Baja burners fit great in the brown snow peak SU cases, buts its a bit more bulk.

Riptide

Explorer
Hey Riptide. That is quite the collection you have there! I just posted (above) my review of the new Takibi Solo on the YouTube channel (above) and am of a like mind with you on my thoughts. I was happy with the way that it burned and didn't clog and look forward to getting some real world testing done with it in the next few months. It looks like the medium is your go to pit size-do you like that size better than the other two?

The medium has been great for us; it fits in the camper well (we have a Sprinter camper, so space is always a concern). I got the large for use here at the house, since I wanted the Jikaro table. And the small is for my solo outings in the Suzuki Samurai, where storage space is even tighter. And we have one at the cabin, along with another 4U IGT setup...

I thought the Solo might take the place of the small; now it might end up in the camper instead.

Nice review yourself, BTW. Which led me to your Smokemeister review. Which reminded me that I have one of those that I've never used. I'm gonna dig it out. Thanks for that!

Yeah, my SP addiction is a little nuts, even by my standards.

Last edited:

TooGouda

I have a flat burner currently and its pretty awesome. the baja does offer some quirks that are attractive though, the two main ones for me are that i can put a bigger pot/pan on it, and it burns liquid fuel with the upside down canister which is a plus for me living in the mountains and cold winters. my house is at about 5300 ft so if i go up i do reach a point when its cold a normal isobutane stove begins to have issues.

I have a couple old brass Optimus liquid stoves from the 70's that do good work if its too cold and high up . the 123R (cylinder shaped one) my dad bought brand new and only used a few times before sticking it in a cabinet for 40 yrs and then gave it to me
62164191081__662E6CD9-708A-4A11-93E6-89ED19A13111.JPG.jpeg

Riptide

Explorer
I have a flat burner currently and its pretty awesome. the baja does offer some quirks that are attractive though, the two main ones for me are that i can put a bigger pot/pan on it, and it burns liquid fuel with the upside down canister which is a plus for me living in the mountains and cold winters. my house is at about 5300 ft so if i go up i do reach a point when its cold a normal isobutane stove begins to have issues.

Have you tried running the Flat Burner on propane? You might get better performance than isobutane.

Ragman

The medium has been great for us; it fits in the camper well (we have a Sprinter camper, so space is always a concern). I got the large for use here at the house, since I wanted the Jikaro table. And the small is for my solo outings in the Suzuki Samurai, where storage space is even tighter. And we have one at the cabin, along with another 4U IGT setup...

I thought the Solo might take the place of the small; now it might end up in the camper instead.

Nice review yourself, BTW. Which led me to your Smokemeister review. Which reminded me that I have one of those that I've never used. I'm gonna dig it out. Thanks for that!

Yeah, my SP addiction is a little nuts, even by my standards.
Hahaha, you sound like my kind of gear junkie! With the large pit for your patio check out my Floga video-I think you will find that item intriguing.

TooGouda

Have you tried running the Flat Burner on propane? You might get better performance than isobutane.
no i have not done that yet. i have an adapter to do regular butane. im not sure I want to carry a propane tank with me though unless its a day trip as space is tight as it is without strapping more stuff to the roof when i go out for multi days or weeks. if i end up getting a new vehicle in the next year or 2 it will be bigger though which will open up more stuff like that as being possible for trips. currently my short list for next vehicle is, 3rd Gen Raptor, 2018 or older G-Wagon so i stay with the previous Gen, Or a semi newer LC. in the off chance i have a stroke of luck to pick up a decent Unimog without paying too much I'll keep my current vehicle for normal life and build the Mog out.

of course gas prices could sky rocket and change my whole plan anyway haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles