Snow Peak Addiction

jerdog53

Explorer
which solo stove did you get? I have the lite and the campfire size... both are legit and pack pretty easy... i like the idea of the bigger ones if i had a regular crowd that just waned flames for ambiance and maybe some marshmallows, im not sure i can see how the bigger solostoves are able to cook anything without blasting it to charcoal lol

I have the Yukon at the house for backyard use, I like it, works as advertised and produces lots of heat!

TooGouda

I’m not sure about a 2 Unit frame, but if you keep an eye open, you might see a single unit grill or Baja burner come up. I remember seeing them come up on eBay.

I missed out on the 2 unit frame, but snagged a single unit bbq just before they got discontinued. The Baja burner always seemed kind of hard to transport to me, the new version seems like a decent upgrade, for big pots a dream setup would be two giga stoves in a three unit frame.

but I think my new dream setup is less stuff, and a few cooL IGT things like the corners and racks for when we have things in the yard.
yeah i see them sometimes... usually they are $600 USD or so though. Im not about to pay 3-4 times their sale price for a used one though so i doubt ill ever get one unless i randomly find someone who wants to sell one without making 200% profit off it after using it for a while already

DesertSand05

Observer
Finding a 2U frame is going to be tough, but a SU Grill or a Baja Burner do come up. I havn't seen the SU Grills or Baja Burners go for extreme amounts yet like the 2U Frames go for.

But then again finding any used snow peak products on ebay is kind of rare.

I understand why someone might want a 2U frame; but most people would at least also carry a short extension table with their setup. Since the 3U frame is the same size as the short table extension, I can see why they might have discontinued the 2U frame.

Then again if someone was going to carry two or three 2U frames, and use a 2U with a cutting board and use that as a table, then the 2U frame would come in handy.

Every once in a while snow peak brings something you thought was long gone back from the dead, I can see the SU grill re-appearing one day.

The thing i don't get is all these colored mugs and can coolers all of a sudden. They are going up against companies like yet and hydro flask, offering all these colors and styles. I would be thrilled if they brought back some of those rare double mugs like the H600 and H860, or maybe even the windscreens to the IGT frames.

It really is amazing how fast some of the snow peak stuff gets discontinued.

Riptide

Explorer
Snow Peak Takibi Solo: First Impressions

Got the Solo yesterday. Here are my initial thoughts. I have not used it yet.

Very nice unit; drips with typical SP quality. The Japanese (or Chinese, depending on where this was made) are masters of stainless steel. Just gorgeous, and of a nice gauge. Sturdy, without being excessive. It’s not light, but it’s SS, and just bombproof.

Brilliant design. The basin rests in notches in the legs, and are held captive by the extended rods thru holes in the legs. When the legs are folded downward, the basin is pinned in place. But the holes are precisely placed; they limit how far inward the bottoms of the legs can travel. This is key, as the bottom heat shield/tray hooks over the bottom cross brackets of each leg set. The tray pulls the legs in, against the tension of the basin pins pushing the legs out. When the tray is hooked in place, the entire unit becomes very rigid, much more so that a SP Pack and Carry fire pit. This is nice, because one can easily move this unit around your site (with gloves, obviously, if burning). Moving a P&C can be a bit tenuous.

The form factor of the Solo makes it a little more stable, in my opinion. While I’ve never tipped a P&C, I’m damn careful with wood placement. With the Solo, the bottom length is longer than the fire box, and the wood sits pretty low (although after looking at the pictures, not as low as I thought). Very nice. As with the P&C, the sloped sides probably radiate and reflect heat pretty well; I’ve always been impressed how a P&C can throw off heat. Plenty of slots and holes in the Solo sides for makeup air to be drawn in, especially down low, which is important. The instructions say the slots are to limit warping of the sides.

The integrated grill support on the Solo also makes for great handles. However, the grill is a fixed height, unlike that of the P&C bridge/grills. You’ll have to adjust temperature with the amount of wood, not by adjusting height of cooking surface. I like that they used an existing grill net, as there are other SP pieces that are the same size. You could probably rest larger pans or griddles on the tops of the legs, as long as the unit was level.

One of the reasons I got this was that I like the idea of being able to use longer pieces of firewood than a small P&C, and yet still have a small unit overall. It seems perfect in that regard. The bottom of the firebox measures 9.5” long, while the top is 13” long. The box is 8.5” wide at the top, and about 4.5” deep.

Cleaning the Solo might be slightly harder, mainly because the P&C is astoundingly easy. I carry these small dustpan/brush units everywhere. I probably have 10 of them between the shop, camper, cabin, and trucks. Slim and handy, the brush makes quick work of sweeping out a P&C before folding it up. The Solo might be a bit harder, although I like the idea of flipping up an end panel and sweeping it out. We’ll see in actual use.

As far as setup and breakdown, the P&C can’t be beat; it takes mere seconds. The Solo is measured in minutes; maybe 2 or 3.

Weight is probably a draw. My P&C all have the cast iron bedplates, and my medium P&C also has a Large bedplate for when we use lump charcoal to cook; you get a larger hot surface area, with an even layer of coals as compared to firewood. So my P&C’s are no lightweights.

The Solo might also lend itself to tabletop use, something I would never try with a P&C. Somebody on the SP site suggested you could even flip the unit upside down for use as a table, since the bottom tray is captive. I did try to see if an IGT stove unit would fit; the grill net is sort of the same size. I tried the Baja and the Flat Burner. The short answer is no, and probably by design, although the Flat Burner could work with a little surgical cutting of it's frame. Dealing with the knob and fuel canister would also be a challenge. Maybe a future project.

In summary, it would be hard to recommend one over the other. They both have their strengths, and since they’re both SP, you’ll be happy with either. Or better yet, both.

Don't judge. I'm almost embarassed to admit I have two others as well. The medium gets the most use by far, and we've probably had it 10 years:
IMG_6703.JPG

Relative heights:
IMG_6704.JPG

All-important locking joint:
IMG_6705.JPG

You can flip up the end triangles for dumping or sweeping out:
IMG_6706.JPG

My handy brush. I use these things everywhere:
IMG_6708.JPG

Last edited:

TooGouda

600 bucks for a 2U frame???
yeah its nuts... saw a baja burner last week for $418, 1U bbq box for like $480 a month ago.
i just can't wrap my head around paying such a high mark up. I might end up getting a single burner cook partner stove instead and making a frame to drop it into my IGT as it will come out cheaper than trying to get a baja burner

TooGouda

Finding a 2U frame is going to be tough, but a SU Grill or a Baja Burner do come up. I havn't seen the SU Grills or Baja Burners go for extreme amounts yet like the 2U Frames go for.

But then again finding any used snow peak products on ebay is kind of rare.

I understand why someone might want a 2U frame; but most people would at least also carry a short extension table with their setup. Since the 3U frame is the same size as the short table extension, I can see why they might have discontinued the 2U frame.

Then again if someone was going to carry two or three 2U frames, and use a 2U with a cutting board and use that as a table, then the 2U frame would come in handy.

Every once in a while snow peak brings something you thought was long gone back from the dead, I can see the SU grill re-appearing one day.

The thing i don't get is all these colored mugs and can coolers all of a sudden. They are going up against companies like yet and hydro flask, offering all these colors and styles. I would be thrilled if they brought back some of those rare double mugs like the H600 and H860, or maybe even the windscreens to the IGT frames.

It really is amazing how fast some of the snow peak stuff gets discontinued.
yeah thats what I want one for... if i had a 2U frame and a 1U bbq box it could be a great quick and easy picnic or tail gate set up. if i needed some table space, bring the corner table to attach and the side tray. if i needed a kitchen, then add in my 3U frame. i have been pondering getting one of the extension tables... but i keep going back to just wanting to get another frame instead as it can be an attached table or a second stand alone IGT then.

TooGouda

What’s the feasibility of cutting down a 3U frame?
don't tempt me! I already know it would be cheaper to take one chop it on a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade and tig weld it back together and do a little grind and polish and it will be good as new

Chris Boyd

Explorer
The single BBQ box has its own legs and doesn’t require an IGT to use… just making sure y’all knew that. It is definitely nice to have it in a 2u, as I have done, but also used it plenty of times on just a camp site picnic table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ragman

Keeping up with the new Snow Peak releases I just received my Takibi Solo. I have not burned it yet but posted the unboxing on my YouTube channel (below) if you want to have a look at the set up. I will burn it in shortly and post that as well. I hope this is helpful!

TooGouda

Keeping up with the new Snow Peak releases I just received my Takibi Solo. I have not burned it yet but posted the unboxing on my YouTube channel (below) if you want to have a look at the set up. I will burn it in shortly and post that as well. I hope this is helpful!
k after seeing its actual size with a table and a person to compare it to I think ill have to get one too :ROFLMAO:
i had seen some of your vids before and now I know you are on here too!

Ragman

The single BBQ box has its own legs and doesn’t require an IGT to use… just making sure y’all knew that. It is definitely nice to have it in a 2u, as I have done, but also used it plenty of times on just a camp site picnic table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly the Single BBQ Box has been discontinued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles