Snow Peak Addiction

DesertSand05

Observer
For the snow peak addicts, 2020 winter festival items are available on snow peak USA website. Most items are still in stock last I checked. Bought the lamp shade just now.

You spoke to soon, Lamp Shades just went out of stock.

Some cool stuff, love the white tents, but settled on two lamp shades.

Been a disappointing year for snow peak deals, most of the familiar names that have sales haven't been carrying much of the new items or the IGT stuff. It seems like most third party resellers don't have much this black friday or cyber monday. Campsaver.com didn't even allow snow peak in their 20% discount.

Elwin

You spoke to soon, Lamp Shades just went out of stock.

Some cool stuff, love the white tents, but settled on two lamp shades.

Been a disappointing year for snow peak deals, most of the familiar names that have sales haven't been carrying much of the new items or the IGT stuff. It seems like most third party resellers don't have much this black friday or cyber monday. Campsaver.com didn't even allow snow peak in their 20% discount.
Yeah, didn’t think the lamp shade was going to last long. Usually the more affordable items sells out quick. Surprise the $2000 tent sold out too. I could only dream of having the white tent. The price is just not practical for me.
Like you said, not a lot of good deals this year. Which is good for me since it kept me from spending money up till now :)

DesertSand05

Observer
I have a feeling a bunch of third party resellers will restock now that Black friday has come and gone. I saw that Moosejaw had a few cool items that they probably only had one or two of. Once they sold it, it was gone. Snow peak.com has the items, but moosejaw never restocked them.

I have my eye on a couple of bags and a burner, but nothing i absolutely need right now, only if a deal comes around. There are times I feel snow peak could really grow the IGT stuff, then they go through phases where the stuff is impossible to get and can't see where they are going with their stuff. Is it stuff thats going to be around for a while, or the end of a product line. I just can't figure it out.

TooGouda

I have a feeling a bunch of third party resellers will restock now that Black friday has come and gone. I saw that Moosejaw had a few cool items that they probably only had one or two of. Once they sold it, it was gone. Snow peak.com has the items, but moosejaw never restocked them.

I have my eye on a couple of bags and a burner, but nothing i absolutely need right now, only if a deal comes around. There are times I feel snow peak could really grow the IGT stuff, then they go through phases where the stuff is impossible to get and can't see where they are going with their stuff. Is it stuff thats going to be around for a while, or the end of a product line. I just can't figure it out.
i think they are just doing batch production on items for the most part. it keeps the products some aura of exclusivity and allows them to never have to sit on stock for long periods of time. Super lean manufacturing. They could make more and sell more for sure, but i think they just don't want to risk it because they like where they are at now and are just growing slowly.

I was also reading that the daughter of the owner took over and her background is apparel. So naturally she is focusing on the textile side of things as is her forte rather than the hard goods like stoves and IGT

DesertSand05

Observer
I ended buying a set of the new Snow Peak Home and Camp Cooker set, the 19cm version. It has the same metal folding handle as the wok and the square frying pan. I got it mostly for rice, it stores all together really nicely. Perfect for one or two people. Not sure if the 19cm and 26cm version store inside each other, although I'd say the old pan cooker set is the one to go with if your looking at both sets. The 26cm is bigger than i would ever need, so the 19cm is perfect.

Parts of the cast iron duo will store inside the 19cm set, but I may just look for a non snow peak non stick camping pot that fits.

motoz

Adventurer
i think they are just doing batch production on items for the most part. it keeps the products some aura of exclusivity and allows them to never have to sit on stock for long periods of time. Super lean manufacturing. They could make more and sell more for sure, but i think they just don't want to risk it because they like where they are at now and are just growing slowly.

I was also reading that the daughter of the owner took over and her background is apparel. So naturally she is focusing on the textile side of things as is her forte rather than the hard goods like stoves and IGT

Granddaughter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
The manual for the kitchen table recommends using two of the four unit Snow Peak carrying cases (UG-141). That might be an option unless you want something more customized.
It kinda works but its not a great fit. The bottom frame piece is just a couple inches to wide to fit in 4 unit bags.

christsay

Anyone play with the Smokemeister? Got gifted one for my birthday and did a test cook last night:
Snow Peak Smokemeister by chris tsay, on Flickr

Quickly marinated salmon filets in soy, mirin, ginger, garlic. 5-6 pieces of lump charcoal started in a chimney and a handful of applewood chips in the bottom. Pretty efficient fuel usage and well sized for two.

I added a Tel-Tru BQ100 through the hole already drilled in the top:
Snow Peak Smokemeister by chris tsay, on Flickr

Riptide

Explorer
Anyone play with the Smokemeister? Got gifted one for my birthday and did a test cook last night:

Ya know, I've had one since they first came out, but I've never used it. We always use a Pit Barrel Cooker. I should dig that SP smoker out, since I'm always complaining how much charcoal the PBC uses. Might have to look up that therm.

How did everything come out?

christsay

The only other smoker experience I have is a WSM so the smokemeister looks similar if you squint but feels a lot different in operation.

This cook went really well, I saw a video on YouTube where the guy said he only needed 1-2 briquettes and since I only had lump charcoal on hand I tried just 1-2 pieces but that wasn't sufficient. Lit up some more and dropped it in the bottom and at the end of the cook had temps up around 225 at the top.

It's made of three main parts. From left to right the internal frame, inner chamber, outer body:
Untitled by chris tsay, on Flickr

The lid is permanently attached to the frame, the grill baskets are removable, the plate at the bottom is to catch drippings I believe. The handle on the lid will only allow you to lift the inner frame and optionally the inner chamber if you engage the dowels. To carry the whole assembly the included carrying case has a handle.

There are metal dowels on the inner frame that interface with slots at the top of the inner chamber to control how much air gets into the smoker.

This also changes how much space you have in the bottom for coals and smoke wood. I did my cook at the most open setting.

Here's a shot of the inside of the outer body after the cook. I just dumped the ashes and coals into a metal bucket:

Since the cook was pretty short, about 45 minutes, I didn't try and regulate temp much. If you did a long cook refueling wouldn't be too bad. Pull the inner stack and just drop in more fuel. If you had to remove excess ash you could use gloves and tip the outer cylinder. At the end of this short cook I was able to empty the main body as well as transport the whole shebang into the house afterwards without gloves by just holding near the top.

Riptide

Explorer
Nice writeup. Never thought to look at YouTube. I think I even pre-ordered mine when they first came out, that's how long I've had it.

DesertSand05

Observer
Here is a link to new 2021 Snow peak products.....

[/URL]

A couple of things look interesting, some kind of wind break for the pack and go fire place....

A new table that slides out to accept IGT items....

A larger pack and go fire place....

A new pitcher....

and a bunch of other stuff like a round flat burner, colored titanium chop sticks, and insulated beer mugs.

Lennart

Adventurer
Here is a link to new 2021 Snow peak products.....

A couple of things look interesting, some kind of wind break for the pack and go fire place....
A new table that slides out to accept IGT items....
A larger pack and go fire place....
A new pitcher....
and a bunch of other stuff like a round flat burner, colored titanium chop sticks, and insulated beer mugs.

I like the look of the pitcher. I can see the use of the slide-out IGT table, but I remain a fan of either the regular IGT frame or the IGT Slim.
Would be interesting to see the Fireplace 'windbreaker' in action. I could see this being useful if it can be used with the Field Oven. If it was just meant as a windbreaker, a three sided version would seem to make more sense.
Always nice to check out the new stuff (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles