Snow Peak Addiction

ahjushi

From reading Luke’s posts Drifta are moving away from SP in general.

This is surprising to hear since they've been such huge proponents of SP over the years and probably helped put them on the map. I'm not on FB so I'm not aware...did he mention why they're moving away from SP?

ahjushi

Here's my question, don't have time to go through 235 pages of posts...

I'm thinking about dropping the money on the Campfield Futon couch, can anyone give me some advice like, is it worth it? Any upgrades?

Thanks

TBH, personally it seems overly luxurious and spendy for just camping. Though I come from the UL-backpacking world where we forsake comforts to literally save grams, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :p Personally I also dislike specific-use items like garlic crushers or even camp tables (ie a table you'd only ever use camping--the rest of its life it sits around doing nothing). That's what appealed to us about the IGT system...expensive if seen in the light of purely a camp cook kit; however, it's nice enough to use daily at home. We use ours as the table in our breakfast nook, in addition to backyard BBQs and bringing it out camping, so it gets used 365 days a year. If it were a system that we would only deploy in the field, we never would've gotten into it.

That said, we don't have one but we've considered it (only if it's on sale) because:
  1. when it's not being used at home, it turns into shelving for storage in the garage
  2. we can set it up in the backyard for additional seating
  3. seating at camp
  4. turns into a cot for sleeping at camp
So to me, it might be worth it since it can fulfill those 4 functions for us. If we'd only use it camping, no way it'd be worth it for us. But to each their own! Just wanted to give you our thought process.

motoz

Adventurer
This is surprising to hear since they've been such huge proponents of SP over the years and probably helped put them on the map. I'm not on FB so I'm not aware...did he mention why they're moving away from SP?

From reading his posts and comments on this l think the main reason is their terms of trade.
They used to only sell internationally in US dollars. He had negotiated to distribute in Australia purchasing at their domestic pricing in Yen.
From my understanding SP have increased the minimum order numbers of items and are moving away from this agreement.

With the current economic climate and the position of the Australian dollar Drifta have just increased all SP and Uniflame products by 20% after absorbing cost increases for a while. From a consumer point of view it’s made a premium product become a boutique product.

It seems Drifta are dropping lines across the range and only focusing on the volume sale SP items. They have started selling new lines from other manufacturers and releasing their own Drifta Stockton range of products. These are all at a cheaper price point which will naturally detract from SP sales.

Retail is a tight margin industry and when your dealing with a high cost product it doesn’t take much to make things unviable. It’s a shame as there are no other distributors in Australia and eBay etc out of Japan in crazy for shipping costs. Third party shippers and Japan market sites are just a hassle to negotiate.

I’ve been a supporter of Drifta for over a decade and commend them on the service thus far. You can’t blame Luke for these decisions moving forward if they totally moved away from SP It wouldn’t leave us with an option in this part of the world.

Heath_303

From reading his posts and comments on this l think the main reason is their terms of trade.
They used to only sell internationally in US dollars. He had negotiated to distribute in Australia purchasing at their domestic pricing in Yen.
From my understanding SP have increased the minimum order numbers of items and are moving away from this agreement.

With the current economic climate and the position of the Australian dollar Drifta have just increased all SP and Uniflame products by 20% after absorbing cost increases for a while. From a consumer point of view it’s made a premium product become a boutique product.

It seems Drifta are dropping lines across the range and only focusing on the volume sale SP items. They have started selling new lines from other manufacturers and releasing their own Drifta Stockton range of products. These are all at a cheaper price point which will naturally detract from SP sales.

Retail is a tight margin industry and when your dealing with a high cost product it doesn’t take much to make things unviable. It’s a shame as there are no other distributors in Australia and eBay etc out of Japan in crazy for shipping costs. Third party shippers and Japan market sites are just a hassle to negotiate.

I’ve been a supporter of Drifta for over a decade and commend them on the service thus far. You can’t blame Luke for these decisions moving forward if they totally moved away from SP It wouldn’t leave us with an option in this part of the world.

I live in Brisbane so I often visit the Brendale store to go and see the products, when he announced the Brendale store shutting down I was devastated... but they said they have given them a 6 month lifeline, I have an IGT3 and large fire pit, Drifta adjustable legs, cups, plates etc, I dont mind paying the money for good gear... with the huge amount of camping and 4x4 in australia I think it would be wise for snow peak to open their own stores, in reality they could make good money here selling direct.

TooGouda

Just joined the Snowpeak IGT club a few months ago with an IGT 3 unit and flat burner. I cut down a restaurant cutting board to be a 2 unit insert for now.
took it out on its maiden outdoors voyage to the desert not too long ago. Nothing like cooking in the middle of nowhere with not a soul in sight :D
I have been using some of the snow peak backpacking products for a while now and decided to start getting some of the big stuff.

Attachments

• 95683440_10101362118405881_7758841966204289024_o.jpg
    95683440_10101362118405881_7758841966204289024_o.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 121

TooGouda

Does anybody know if IGT2 has been discontinued?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yes sadly... there were some local to me for sale this winter but i spent my fun budget on winter sports and then they were gone :(
if i ever find one i would buy it in a heart beat. I saw some for sale on ebay a couple months ago for $450 USD but if im spending that kind of money on snow peak gear there are other things i would buy first.

JIMI.Love

TBH, personally it seems overly luxurious and spendy for just camping. Though I come from the UL-backpacking world where we forsake comforts to literally save grams, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :p Personally I also dislike specific-use items like garlic crushers or even camp tables (ie a table you'd only ever use camping--the rest of its life it sits around doing nothing). That's what appealed to us about the IGT system...expensive if seen in the light of purely a camp cook kit; however, it's nice enough to use daily at home. We use ours as the table in our breakfast nook, in addition to backyard BBQs and bringing it out camping, so it gets used 365 days a year. If it were a system that we would only deploy in the field, we never would've gotten into it.

That said, we don't have one but we've considered it (only if it's on sale) because:
  1. when it's not being used at home, it turns into shelving for storage in the garage
  2. we can set it up in the backyard for additional seating
  3. seating at camp
  4. turns into a cot for sleeping at camp
So to me, it might be worth it since it can fulfill those 4 functions for us. If we'd only use it camping, no way it'd be worth it for us. But to each their own! Just wanted to give you our thought process.

Thanks, you have made some really good points. I agree that items need to have more than one application.

I guess I need to wait for a sale.

dcg141

Adventurer
Just joined the Snowpeak IGT club a few months ago with an IGT 3 unit and flat burner. I cut down a restaurant cutting board to be a 2 unit insert for now.
took it out on its maiden outdoors voyage to the desert not too long ago. Nothing like cooking in the middle of nowhere with not a soul in sight :D
I have been using some of the snow peak backpacking products for a while now and decided to start getting some of the big stuff.
Resistance is futile you will be assimilated

ahjushi

Some Surf and Turf for Mother's Day. Prime Rib Sous-Vided for 8 hours, then seared on the grill. Lobster Tails basted with garlic butter and charred lemons. Hasselback potatoes and salad to round it out.

ixLvCEL.jpg
3wsZ98j.jpg
JHzBsNN.jpg
6UH1o2S.jpg

JIMI.Love

The new couch just arrived today. I'm excited to take it out into the outdoors.

Here are a few picture of my wife on the new couch. Still don't know how to rotate photos on this forum.

Lisa on Snow Peak.jpg

Attachments

• Lisa Snow Peak 2.jpg
    Lisa Snow Peak 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Lisa Snow Peak 3.jpg
    Lisa Snow Peak 3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 120

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member