Snow Peak Addiction

ahjushi

Yeah, shame they don't make that anymore when 4U is still in production...but that's Snow Peak for you. Wish the CK-127 SS side trays were still available too, though I guess the Half Unit Boxes off the sides serves the same function + storage underneath.

Anyone have thoughts on the Cast Iron Duo vs Oven 26cm? Oven's obviously bigger, but the Duo seems to be more versatile with all the additional skillets and configurations. Why would you choose one over the other?

Lennart

Adventurer
Fully agree.
Here is a very compact and super flexible setup of the 2 unit IGT with the I think also discontinued multistand.
I have two stainless side trays and two wood sliding inserts. You can get a lot of real estate from a small footprint(y)

I sometimes fear SP is moving too much towards apparel instead of knocking out more of this beautiful gear.

3NddR1.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
I sometimes fear SP is moving too much towards apparel instead of knocking out more of this beautiful gear.

Well, that's the problem with the granddaughter of the founder running the show. She is a fashion designer, and doesn't strike me as much of a camper. However, you always see the apparel side on deep discount, whereas you hardly ever see the gear on sale. I think SP knows where their bread is buttered...

Riptide

Explorer
Anyone have thoughts on the Cast Iron Duo vs Oven 26cm? Oven's obviously bigger, but the Duo seems to be more versatile with all the additional skillets and configurations. Why would you choose one over the other?

Thats' a tough one. I have both.

The Oven is just a beautiful piece of kit. It's the nicest DO I've ever seen. I've given them as wedding gifts. With the inner pan, it's pretty darn versatile in it's own right.

However, the Duo is what I use when I camp. Mainly because I mostly camp alone, and the DO would be too big for just me.

Really nice stuff. Only you can say if it's worth the SP premium. I will say I bought my Duo's when they were way cheaper.

ahjushi

Well, that's the problem with the granddaughter of the founder running the show. She is a fashion designer, and doesn't strike me as much of a camper. However, you always see the apparel side on deep discount, whereas you hardly ever see the gear on sale. I think SP knows where their bread is buttered...

I can understand it from a business perspective, though. Clothing has universal appeal and wide margins...even when they discount it they're making profit. IGT and the hard goods are niche compared to clothing. Then you've got >$200 cast iron pieces--now we're way past niche haha.

Obviously being here I wish the emphasis were on the hard goods too, but can't blame a business for acting like a business :T

Thanks for your note on the Oven/Duo...usually I'm camping with at least one other family so we're cooking for 6+, sometimes up to 30 people. Doesn't seem like the Duo can swing that, but man does it appeal to me way more than the Oven.

Lennart

Adventurer
I don't deny anyone the chance of making some money ?
Just hoping is doesn't detract from the R&D gear side of things.

On the upside, a clothing shop in the Netherlands has just started selling SP apparel. They seem to have gotten some miscellaneous gear (by mistake or perhaps for display purposes?) , so I snagged up two of the smaller stacking containers (UG-025) I have never seen sold in the Netherlands (y)
Another DIY project coming up to make a sliding lid for those. I made some for the large container and after some use and review I have decided I really like it :giggle:

Just bought my SP Campfire Kit on the 25% REI Sale.....pretty stoked and figured this is the best time to get it since I already used my dividend before quarantine..hahaha

Riptide

Explorer
Thanks for your note on the Oven/Duo...usually I'm camping with at least one other family so we're cooking for 6+, sometimes up to 30 people. Doesn't seem like the Duo can swing that, but man does it appeal to me way more than the Oven.

Well, there is a unicorn out there, somewhere. SP also once made a dutch oven in 22 cm size. I have never seen one. But I've been looking for one for about 6 years now...

Maybe I can talk one of the long-time SP owners to part with theirs??

cactusjk

Explorer
I wouldn't worry about the hard goods. Having attended both US SP Ways the team is entirely focused on the outdoor experience!

Lennart

Adventurer
Well, there is a unicorn out there, somewhere. SP also once made a dutch oven in 22 cm size. I have never seen one. But I've been looking for one for about 6 years now...

Maybe I can talk one of the long-time SP owners to part with theirs??

Do you mean the 30 cm dutch oven? I have the same series but smaller 24 cm dutch oven.
For big parties it is hard to beat a Potjie though

ahjushi

On the upside, a clothing shop in the Netherlands has just started selling SP apparel. They seem to have gotten some miscellaneous gear (by mistake or perhaps for display purposes?) , so I snagged up two of the smaller stacking containers (UG-025) I have never seen sold in the Netherlands (y)
Another DIY project coming up to make a sliding lid for those. I made some for the large container and after some use and review I have decided I really like it :giggle:

Are those containers magnetic?

Lennart

Adventurer
Are those containers magnetic?

They are stainless, so the wooden runners can be 'stuck' on and removed in a flash with magnets. I have got a set of three of the large containers and have just received two of the smaller ones. I find the setup where the bottom container is opened up and the top one is closed and has the sliding lid on best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94