Snow Peak Addiction

Riptide

Explorer
3 or 4 unit IGT frame, 6x80 cm legs, 2x60 cm legs, 2 IGT height adjusters, 1x extension table long, one corner L or R, IGT connection hooks 1 set

That's my exact go-to setup right there, even though I have tons more. I use the adjustable legs, for two less legs to carry (although much heavier).

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Is there a best "bang for you buck" IGT starter kit out there?

I have been slowly buying snow peak stuff over the years and now feel that carrying an IGT frame and legs would be more more efficient than a fill blown table. Currently. I have a partner steel stove, Snow peak field oven, and a snow peak giga power li stove with the IGT connector. I'd like a setup that could run up of those at the same time. I don't need a ton of room for people to eat, just want something to keep the cooking gear at a good working height.

What IGT stuff should I be looking for if I am looking for a portable cooking table setup?

Here’s what I have for my quick-deploy, when it’s just me and my wife (no kids, no trailer):

I go with a pair of 2U and an IGT connector. I have the adjustable high legs for both that do 440/680 (I think that right). Those two hook together for one long workspace that I can have connected to my tailgate or standalone. I also have one short table and one corner, so I can make an L if needed, or use the drop down connectors to have an eating area perpendicular to the IGT pair.

I keep one set of 220 short legs to convert one 2U into a low table for games, etc, or a side table next to the camp chairs.

For packing, the 2Us stack together using some YDR straps. The. Table slides in next to my fridge. The 2U strapped with the legs lay flat in my cargo area and I have the SP fire pit in a drifta bag stacked on that, which is about the same size as the 2Us.

Edit: it’s not “small bang starter kit” but it is “most compact, versatile bang for buck”. You can start with 2U and build up.

Last edited:

DesertSand05

Observer
Here’s what I have for my quick-deploy, when it’s just me and my wife (no kids, no trailer):

I go with a pair of 2U and an IGT connector. I have the adjustable high legs for both that do 440/680 (I think that right). Those two hook together for one long workspace that I can have connected to my tailgate or standalone. I also have one short table and one corner, so I can make an L if needed, or use the drop down connectors to have an eating area perpendicular to the IGT pair.

I keep one set of 220 short legs to convert one 2U into a low table for games, etc, or a side table next to the camp chairs.

For packing, the 2Us stack together using some YDR straps. The. Table slides in next to my fridge. The 2U strapped with the legs lay flat in my cargo area and I have the SP fire pit in a drifta bag stacked on that, which is about the same size as the 2Us.

Edit: it’s not “small bang starter kit” but it is “most compact, versatile bang for buck”. You can start with 2U and build up.

Thanks for the reply that's the kind of info thats good to plan things out.

Unfortunately the Snow Peak Ck-170 2-Unit set seems to be discontinued.

I kind of liked the idea of getting the wind screens for the unit also, but doubt Ill ever get that in the US. Not sure what sizes the wind screens came in.

cactusjk

Explorer
What is the real story behind the wind screens? I have both 3U and 4U but only after a heroic search a few years back. Not sure why SP discontinued them?

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Thanks for the reply that's the kind of info thats good to plan things out.

Unfortunately the Snow Peak Ck-170 2-Unit set seems to be discontinued.

I kind of liked the idea of getting the wind screens for the unit also, but doubt Ill ever get that in the US. Not sure what sizes the wind screens came in.

Wow, didn't see that - but looking at SP's site, looks right.... if you go with the marketing approach of more Units sell more things to put in them, then I would see why - but with all things SP it's never really gone (just unobtainium!)

What is the real story behind the wind screens? I have both 3U and 4U but only after a heroic search a few years back. Not sure why SP discontinued them?

I think if you have a Partner Steel stove with the windscreen, it's not necessary... but maybe for the GigStove? I dont see the need for the windscreen all that often, so maybe that's why SP discontinued it. Others are making it, like Cai&Cat (i think that's right - look in this thread) and also Drifta has. I actually bought their windscreen for the SP Firepit, which I really do need under the grill bridge!

dcg141

Adventurer
If you want to order from Drifta the Aus dollar is pretty weak against the USD and makes for some good deals from them.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
If you want to order from Drifta the Aus dollar is pretty weak against the USD and makes for some good deals from them.

Speaking of which, drifta make some infinitely adjustable SP legs which work like the poles on an oztent or arb awning leg. They are twist lock and not pop-holes like the SP ones... I bought a set for the bamboo table (short) which i I hook directly my tailgate. Works well when the truck isn’t perfectly level, or I’ve had to level it and the height off side to side, ore than the leg adjusters can manager (which is to say not much).

I’ll post a photo or two of my 2U setup mentioned above. Dying to go play with camping kit in Puerta Backyarda during the lockdown.... would have been On my way to Moab right now!

Chris Boyd

Explorer
So I went out and played with my “compact SP setup” comprised of a pair of 2U frames, a short bamboo table and a host of legs and accessories. Allows for a number or interesting combinations. Here’s an overview of the setups I can do:

b11815dbb6bab1905a9d12fe5f51a3bb.jpg

Here is the short bamboo with the Drifta adjustable legs. Highly recommend them. I did have to use a step bit to open the holes a tiny fraction on some my older pieces. I guess the tolerances are a bit close. I have two holes drilled in my tailgate cover to accept the pins from the table.

179ee2946882321c86da8c392a8b8f19.jpg

Since my fridge and stove are on an AT slide, it makes for a nice quick deployment of the kitchen. Having a table below the stove is handy at time.

I have the two frames and legs packed together with YDR straps. My SP addiction started with the man himself when we camped together in NC. I have several set of straps and use the other sets with the kit I keep in my trailer. (4U, long bamboo, more legs and inserts - skottle and stove inserts if we’re setup longer term base camp)

Here, you slip a couple of legs on and stand it up to get it ready for unpack:

19689c19d6f13a9c7f09f5cdaaa12fd6.jpg

One thing I found when I bought the Drifta Large Firepit bag, is that it holds a corner and two long side slides in the same bag. So I ordered one with the adjustable legs on my last order.
077f438a0c9335f883ffbede80616e5b.jpg

3b43ff637e8fbebff57ee8de35a3e034.jpg

Using the IGT frame hooks, you can connect two frames together and save a pair of legs in the process. I can also hook it to the tailgate table with another set of hook. This is my “standard setup” when doing meal preps or happy hour on the back of the truck:
840b0f095fd8c9a90cbe6b32cfcc5e1d.jpg

If I need to split off from the truck, I can have the 2U frames off by themselves. This is usually the happy hour setup:
ab3c2babecc26134de67c6fcf43443d4.jpg

For more bigger group cooking, I can setup the “advanced kitchen mode” using a corner table
c0ac4802bbbb4bbabdfcd23341e424db.jpg

This is a pretty sweeet setup for doing more elaborate cooks at camp, or tailgating with potlucks,etc... or in our case more often that not- horse shows for my daughter.
cdd38017cc07e5115fe99395ae71a2e9.jpg

I keep a small snow peak bag with the 1U bamboo inserts, 1/2U SS inserts and some of the short adjustable legs (picked up on a trip to Korea last year) and drop adapters. Makes a few more combinations possible.
d2678c0e48f7d0672e4263e2d4f6e275.jpg

Drop adapters used to drop the short bamboo into a dinner table for two, or for a card game. I can swap the cutting board table for my single BBQ box and do the cooking right there while we’re sitting.
8e7de58f2810b245e7a953e0e19bb5c8.jpg

More in the next post...

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Once dinner is done, we can transition some of the setup to a lounge area for firepit time:
a81f8cb8c0d99c73f2e7e3597b7d988e.jpg

f60c05a72325bb210fbd83e9e1b61f5b.jpg

Using the small bamboo inserts with the holes in the middle, you can use a tall leg and a lantern hanger for dim light. Normally I’d put the firepit out in front there... didn’t have it handy for this photo
d93d14030c916efb69cb7a0cc980153e.jpg

Packing up is the reverse. Put on 2U on the other, pop the legs in the straps which are hanging under the lower frame and wrap the straps to lock frames together.
f7ab1a084c0df6fd7e5f408b18270305.jpg

Legs in the YDR straps, frames bound together:
bdc67b214b8326e3cd9686552a6ca234.jpg

Loaded up. The SP large snow pit goes on top of the bag with the corner and side slide tables. Everything is the same dimension and stacks nicely. Strapped down with front runner “strachits” to airtrack affixed to my drawer tops:
622ddc2b24de850f8ebab7b4b77f2ac1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online