Snow Peak Addiction

spikemd

Explorer
I have an IGT4 setup with Baja burner, double bbq box, field oven, single bamboo insert and knife with case that doubles as insert. I also have the large table extension but the ground wasn't level enough to add on. SP carry bags help with transport but the double bag isn't big enough for the field oven.

I'm planning on building storage into my Defender 110 for each piece.

Lennart

Adventurer
Just got back from Camping in the Dordogne in France. Very hot most of the time so great thing I brought the Large tarp :cool:

bO5XXL.jpg

I got to use the grill burner some more in its orginal setup and it is actually not bad. Grilled some nice (huge) tuna steaks

8VkTjj.jpg

Had a surf and turf platter
03ibMK.jpg

jyy2lv.jpg

Did some charcoal grilling because I found the campsite had designated areas for BBQ :)
mTbUcp.jpg

WQQFKk.jpg

I took the small fireplace on our Kayak trip on the Dordogne river. Grilled some Bavette for lunch.
5nysOb.jpg

p9B2wX.jpg

Had great time and of course with Snowpeak, it's not camping, it is Glamping !
Filled the sake bottle with Gin before I left home and had a nice G&T under the Tarp.....
v6PfUb.jpg

Enjoy the summer !

Riptide

Explorer
You took the firepit in the kayak for cooking lunch along the river.

Lennart, you're too much!!

I just got back from eating out tonight, and yet your pictures make me hungry all over again. Still planning to make that chiri-nabe you made a few summers ago...

BTW, I'm digging the SP cookware stuff in the picture with the tuna steaks. That looks like nice stuff with the huge fold-down handles. Where'd you get that?

Lennart

Adventurer
@Riptide,

I took the SMALL firepit. That is quite manageable :)

The pots are the High End Aluminum cooking set. If I am not mistaken they were discontinued a couple of years ago.

Lennart

Adventurer
I have the Hexa L pro set. Bought it in 2011 and still good as new. Easy to set up, storm proof and lots of useable space. Can't really fault it other than (as with a lot of Snow Peak gear) it is not too light, but this is mainly due to the robust forged iron pegs that come with the set.

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
Doe anyone know if the oven will work on the double burner stove?

I think it would need a diffuser of sorts over the flames. Also not sure it would get hot enough but anything is possible. I use the oven over the double bbq box with briquettes. At home I can get extra heat by using a blower. On the trail, I would fan them to get them glowing red before putting the pizza in. Both ways produced great pizza but at home the briquets where definitely hotter.

spikemd

Explorer
Reviews on the grill burner? Lennart, those ahi steaks looked good. We have 'burn bans' here in California which limits our ability to use charcoal for BBQ in the field. My concern with the grill burner is wind and if its get hot enough to put a good sear on steaks? Is the burner strong enough? It looks sloped in the pics to drain fat into the middle. Does it fit in the small square bag like a baja burner? Burner is rated at 6700, which seems low especially without a lid.

I have a Weber Q 1000 which cooks amazing but the lid is important to keep temps up. The burner in the Q is only 8500 but it gets very hot and is the best portable grill on the market. Main issue, is size and fitting it in the truck. Would love to replace it with the Snow Peak but have some concerns.

Lennart

Adventurer
Reviews on the grill burner? Lennart, those ahi steaks looked good. We have 'burn bans' here in California which limits our ability to use charcoal for BBQ in the field. My concern with the grill burner is wind and if its get hot enough to put a good sear on steaks? Is the burner strong enough? It looks sloped in the pics to drain fat into the middle. Does it fit in the small square bag like a baja burner? Burner is rated at 6700, which seems low especially without a lid.

I have a Weber Q 1000 which cooks amazing but the lid is important to keep temps up. The burner in the Q is only 8500 but it gets very hot and is the best portable grill on the market. Main issue, is size and fitting it in the truck. Would love to replace it with the Snow Peak but have some concerns.

spikemd,

With the cast iron top (which is indeed sloped to drain fat to a hole in the middle and then to a drip pan) the heat is good. I can get a nice sear on a steak. I was also a bit worried. From looking at the flames you would not expect a lot of heat but is does pretty good. I let the flames on full whack heat the griddle for 5 minutes before I started just to be sure.
With my makeshift/DIY diffuser and rack on it instead of the cast iron I found the heat to be adequate but not an inferno. As was suggested the mass of my rack might be a bit on the high side but I haven't changed it yet as it does work.

There is a small bag that comes with the grill and of course you can take it apart in little pieces if you were so inclined ;-)
You can indeed fit it in the rectangular multipurpose bag I think you are refering to.
WqGHbL.jpg

4Z4ISh.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
Thanks, I saw your modifications earlier. The Baja burner fits nicely in the small bag. I was hoping the burner would too, but may sit too high without disassembly. Downside to taking it apart, is the time to reassemble and also rattling while driving. I really like cooking on cast iron, it retains heat, reduces hot spots and cleans up easily with proper seasoning.

Campsaver is having a 25% off Snow Peak sale right now (Labor Day) so I may jump on one to test it out.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
View attachment 526890

IGT legs wrapped in anti rattle plastic stretch sheathing from McMaster.. Now, how do I pack these together??
Skip the plastic wraps and get a set of roll up straps.... They're actually the first thing I made for my IGT. The loose rattling legs we more than annoying while driving on off road trails... heck even on pavement...lol Page 39 post #576

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles