Snow Peak Addiction

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a crapload of IGT stuff. I have a couple of Baja's, a couple of the flat burners, the double stove, a few single BBQ boxes, etc. The stuff is scattered between the house, the cabin, and the camper. It's a sickness...

The double stove is typical SP quality. Great burner; nice flame pattern. But it's not my favorite stove. The bottles hang from underneath. The windscreen can't be used in the IGT frame, as you said. And honestly, I rarely, if ever, need two burners. I'll usually take more prep area over another burner.

The Baja is a nice piece of kit. But the folding legs make it heavy, because I don't use the folding legs. But on a frame like yours, the weight probably won't matter, and may in fact help keep it from rattling.

Anymore, when I reach into my stash for a cookstove, I grab a Flat Burner. The only thing I still don't like about it is the grate has these upward point horns that limits the size of the pan you can put on it. One of these days I'm gonna cut them off. The Flat Burner fuel knob and canister hang from the IGT rail slot, which is nice if you use canisters, but must be factored in for a build like yours if you don't use the frame. The knob/hose assembly comes with a little bracket that allows it to hang from the burner. It works, but it kind of dangles there; I like things rigidly mounted.

I'm in the early stages of building a fold-down frame for the back of my Sprinter camper that will utilize my IGT stuff, so I can identify with what you're going through. If you want to pay for shipping, I can loan you whatever I have, so you can mess with it...

Thanks for the offer sir! Very nice of you man.

As you pointed out, I won't be able to use any of the IGT accessories that need to attach widgets to the edge of the IGT because I will have a drawer slide there. This pretty much limits me to the Baja or the Giga dual (stove-wise).

When you use a Baja in the IGT you have to mount the butane upside-down under the Baja right? How far does that all hang down? There are not many pictures of the Baja on the Interwebs.

My goal (if I go through with this) is to have a big IGT that requires no hookups or assembly at camp. Open drawer, cook food, wash dishes, close door. The end! ;)

jtosbo00

Observer
Really? What kind of gas does SP make that is different? I know some of their items are liquid injection vice gas injection, but honestly, every item I've tried with propane has worked, even the Baja Burner liquid isopro unit...

The double stove, GS-230, I mistakenly purchased uses the silver Iso cans. To fully utilize the stove’s higher heat output, you need the Iso stuff. No other major brand I’ve had access to (MSR, Coleman, etc.) has this mixture (in the USA). I tried the “gold” cans but the stove behaved weirdly and I shut it off in fear something was going to explode. I tried both upright (nothing happened, no flame ignition) and upside down, as intended by the stove’s design (weird noises and no flame).

A few years ago, at the NYC SP store, I asked the sales people that if SP USA was selling the GigaPower LI Stove, then why they did not have the silver fuel cans? **(See Footnote) When I asked them about the fuel types and if I can use the gold variety, they were at first stumped (they didn’t realize SP had silver cans sold in Japan or noticed the color of the fuel can in the pics which was/is silver). I pointed out that the instruction manuals at the time specifically said to only use the silver cans for both Gigapower LI Stove and the double burner stove. After leaving the store, they emailed me that the Portland store stocked these silver cans but they could not ship to my home so I declined the offer to have them ship to the store in NYC for me to pickup. (At that time, I knew I was moving back to Japan and intended at that point to sell the stove in Japan)

Secondly, some of their items only take certain kinds of form factors like the Home & Camp stove which further narrows down any kind of solution (if there is one in the USA).

** Footnote:
I was going to quote that statement from their PDF manual but it now appears they have modified it for the Gigapower LI Stove and it says to only use SP fuel (doesn’t mention which kind or size). I know they made this distinction about 3 years ago so maybe something has changed? SP has never sold the higher end double burner stove, GS-230, in the USA and as of today, the Home & Camp stove is not for sale either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The double stove I mistakenly purchased uses the silver IsoPro cans (silver). To fully utilize the stove’s higher heat output, you need the IsoPro stuff. No other major brand I’ve had access to (MSR, Coleman, etc.) has this mixture (in the USA). I tried the “gold” cans but the stove behaved weirdly and I shut it off in fear something was going to explode. I tried both upright (nothing happened, no flame ignition) and upside down, as intended by the stove’s design (weird noises and no flame).

A few years ago, at the NYC SP store, I asked the sales people that if SP USA was selling the GigaPower LI Stove, then why they did not have the silver fuel cans? **(See Footnote) When I asked them about the fuel types and if I can use the gold variety, they were at first stumped (they didn’t realize SP had silver cans sold in Japan or noticed the color of the fuel can in the pics which was/is silver). I pointed out that the instruction manuals at the time specifically said to only use the silver cans for both Gigapower LI Stove and the double burner stove. After leaving the store, they emailed me that the Portland store stocked these silver cans but they could not ship to my home so I declined the offer to have them ship to the store in NYC for me to pickup. (At that time, I knew I was moving back to Japan and intended at that point to sell the stove in Japan)

Secondly, some of their items only take certain kinds of form factors like the Home & Camp stove which further narrows down any kind of solution (if there is one in the USA).

** Footnote:
I was going to quote that statement from their PDF manual but it now appears they have modified it for the Gigapower LI Stove and it says to only use SP fuel (doesn’t mention which kind or size). I know they made this distinction about 3 years ago so maybe something has changed? SP has never sold the higher end double burner stove in the USA and as of today, the Home & Camp stove is not for sale either.

Do you happen to know if any of that applies to the Baja burner? I've seen pictures of the burner in use both with the canister upright and upside-down. Are there two different models of Baja?

I plan to use the Baja with the canister upside-down (mounted under the burner in an IGT). Does that mean that I will need "special" butane canisters? If I won't be able to use "any old butane canister" from the local outdoors store that will be a deal-breaker.

I wish Snow Peak would make these kinds of details plainly known.

jtosbo00

Observer
Do you happen to know if any of that applies to the Baja burner? I've seen pictures of the burner in use both with the canister upright and upside-down. Are there two different models of Baja?

I plan to use the Baja with the canister upside-down (mounted under the burner in an IGT). Does that mean that I will need "special" butane canisters? If I won't be able to use "any old butane canister" from the local outdoors store that will be a deal-breaker.

I wish Snow Peak would make these kinds of details plainly known.

The Baja Stove is versatile with SP’s fuel cans (can use both silver and gold). I read the SP USA pdf manual online and noted that they specifically tell you to mount the fuel can upright. Since they only sell the gold cans, this is correct.

The Baja Stove in Japan is the exact same model with their PDF saying you can use either fuel but to mount in proper position based on fuel type (silver vs gold).

Is there a picture online that you see that shows the gold can or another brand being mounted upside down on the Baja Stove? Please post here with link if you can. I’m always looking to see if someone has figured out a solution or something.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The Baja Stove is versatile with SP’s fuel cans (can use both silver and gold). I read the SP USA pdf manual online and noted that they specifically tell you to mount the fuel can upright. Since they only sell the gold cans, this is correct.

The Baja Stove in Japan is the exact same model with their PDF saying you can use either fuel but to mount in proper position based on fuel type (silver vs gold).

Is there a picture online that you see that shows the gold can or another brand being mounted upside down on the Baja Stove? Please post here with link if you can. I’m always looking to see if someone has figured out a solution or something.

Holy cow...I had no idea that there were different "flavors" of fuel for these stoves. So, here is a picture from SP USA. There is no mention of "LI" on this web page. The can looks "gold" to me.
2.jpeg

And here is a different picture of what appears to be the "LI" stove. Mounted upside down and certainly looks like a gold canister to me.
3.jpeg

I'm not sure if the picture above is from SP literature. But, in any case, if the LI stove can't use any-old fuel canister that I can pick up locally then I think I'm going to go with Partner Steel in my IGT. Life is too short to be special ordering fuel cans from elsewhere.

If the "non-LI" SP Baja stoves have the "dangling-from-the-bottom-of-your-IGT" setup then it isn't going to work for my purposes. Bummer. I hope I'm wrong about this.

If anyone has an LI Baja I'd love to hear your take on this.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
And here is a silver right-side up.
4.jpeg

It seems like pictures from JP are using the silver bottles when upside-down (usually). US pictures of LI are using gold canisters (usually).

Many US reviews of the LI Baja complain about simmering difficulty. I wonder if this is caused by Americans using gold canisters upside down...which might cause pressure or flow issues?

Just a thought.

jtosbo00

Observer
Holy cow...I had no idea that there were different "flavors" of fuel for these stoves. So, here is a picture from SP USA. There is no mention of "LI" on this web page. The can looks "gold" to me.

If anyone has an LI Baja I'd love to hear your take on this.
I would wait to see if others who have this stove in the USA can chime in. The USA website displays the can upside down in their pics, but they are all silver which is confusing and leaves out information (silver cans are different fuel types that produce higher heat and are not sold in the USA).

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I would wait to see if others who have this stove in the USA can chime in. The USA website displays the can upside down in their pics, but they are all silver which is confusing and leaves out information (silver cans are different fuel types that produce higher heat and are not sold in the USA).

I agree. Experience required at this point.

You are right. SP USA doesn't seem to make any distinction about LI or not, but every picture of an upside-down canister is silver.

jtosbo00

Observer
Some info on SP’s fuel types:
item_s06032_5.jpg

Silver Canister:
Iso butane (isobutane) has a boiling point of -1.7 ° C, lower than normal butane, and can ignite at -10 ° C. Since the vapor pressure is higher than normal butane, it can continue burning at a stable output.

Gold Canister:
Normal butane has a boiling point of -0.5 ° C, the highest of the three types, and is not suitable for erecting systems below freezing. Since the internal pressure of the cartridge is hardest to rise, it is the safest gas among the three types.

Upright (Gold Canister):
Since the liquefied gas accumulated under the gas cartridge needs a calorific value when it is vaporized and ejected from the can, the burning device in which the erected mounting gas cartridge is mounted upright requires the cartridge body in accordance with the combustion time. Temperature tends to drop, and the phenomenon that the amount of light drops in the case of burning power or lanterns can occur.

Upside Down (Silver Canister):
When the gas cartridge is installed upside down, the system removes the liquefied gas from the gas cartridge as it is, so there is little temperature drop of the gas cartridge due to heat of vaporization, and stable combustion continues to the end. The stove maintains high output.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Some info on SP’s fuel types:
item_s06032_5.jpg

Silver Canister:
Iso butane (isobutane) has a boiling point of -1.7 ° C, lower than normal butane, and can ignite at -10 ° C. Since the vapor pressure is higher than normal butane, it can continue burning at a stable output.

Gold Canister:
Normal butane has a boiling point of -0.5 ° C, the highest of the three types, and is not suitable for erecting systems below freezing. Since the internal pressure of the cartridge is hardest to rise, it is the safest gas among the three types.

Upright (Gold Canister):
Since the liquefied gas accumulated under the gas cartridge needs a calorific value when it is vaporized and ejected from the can, the burning device in which the erected mounting gas cartridge is mounted upright requires the cartridge body in accordance with the combustion time. Temperature tends to drop, and the phenomenon that the amount of light drops in the case of burning power or lanterns can occur.

Upside Down (Silver Canister):
When the gas cartridge is installed upside down, the system removes the liquefied gas from the gas cartridge as it is, so there is little temperature drop of the gas cartridge due to heat of vaporization, and stable combustion continues to the end. The stove maintains high output.

Invaluable. Thank you for posting that. Now I need to see if Isobutane is available in my area.

wolf-camp

The only thing I still don't like about it is the grate has these upward pointing horns that limits the size of the pan you can put on it. One of these days I'm gonna cut them off.

These upward horns are preventing you from overheating the stove buy using too large plates / Pots, maybe better to keep them.
The double burner stove (GS-220 and GS-230) has also these upward horns on the inward side of the grates to prevent using a full size sizzle plate, but there is the option to insert the grates 180 degrees turned (horns are then outside) on a higher level (+ 2cm).
In this position a full size sizzle plate fits without risk to overheat the stove.

Wolf

Riptide

Explorer
Re: Baja burner with other brands of fuel... I've never used SP fuel, as it's just not available around here. I can get MSR isopro at the local EMS, and I've also used a Coleman propane cylinder and adapter, hanging from a bag underneath the stove. No issues at all. Somewhere on this SP thread is some pics of the Baja on propane. Can't understand why SP doesn't feature other brands of fuel in their photos...

JC, as far as size goes, the depth below the IGT frame to the tip of the hose connection attached to a 250 g isopro cylinder hanging upside down from the stove is a little over 5 1/4". With a 500 g cylinder in the bracket hanging upside down, it's about 7 5/8".

I would have taken some pix, but on Christmas Eve, this is about the last thing I should be doing, instead of getting ready for the chaos tonight and tomorrow...

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Re: Baja burner with other brands of fuel... I've never used SP fuel, as it's just not available around here. I can get MSR isopro at the local EMS, and I've also used a Coleman propane cylinder and adapter, hanging from a bag underneath the stove. No issues at all. Somewhere on this SP thread is some pics of the Baja on propane. Can't understand why SP doesn't feature other brands of fuel in their photos...

JC, as far as size goes, the depth below the IGT frame to the tip of the hose connection attached to a 250 g isopro cylinder hanging upside down from the stove is a little over 5 1/4". With a 500 g cylinder in the bracket hanging upside down, it's about 7 5/8".

I would have taken some pix, but on Christmas Eve, this is about the last thing I should be doing, instead of getting ready for the chaos tonight and tomorrow...

That helps a lot. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going with the double stove, Baja, or flat burner. No hurry on my part man.

Thanks for checking.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, I ordered one Baja burner to give it a try, two 1/2-unit steel boxes, one deep basket and one cutting board. I'll give the Baja a try and this will allow me to get the measurements for the drawer depth.

At this point I'm thinking of using only the 4-unit IGT and building a storage box behind it (to make 60 inches in length) instead of butchering my IGT tables.

Next question. Does anyone have the cast iron duo set? How tall is it when stacked? The measurements on Snow Peaks' site are suspect.

Riptide

Explorer
Next question. Does anyone have the cast iron duo set? How tall is it when stacked? The measurements on Snow Peaks' site are suspect.

Um, yeah, I have a set or two. (Hey, I got them when REI had them alot cheaper than they are now).

With the top lid flipped upside down, it's about 5 5/8" inches tall, in the bag. With the lid flipped upright, it's about 6 3/8" tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94