Snow Peak Addiction

redsands

At the risk of opening a can of worms Riptide, would you elaborate on which two burner stoves you think may be better? I'm not completely committed to sticking with the SP (picked it up this week via Backcountry on sale) just yet. I've also considered the recently released Primus Tupike as well which comes in at about 2/3 the weight (9.1 lbs) with burners ~10K BTU. One of the reasons I favored the Tupike is that it feeds off of one propane canister as opposed to the two required by the SP. And I would guess the Partner stove would also be a contender.

redsands

Backcountry has the GS-220 on sale for 30% off today, so I ordered one. The site doesn't actually state if it's the 220 or 230 though. We will see. Now I'm looking for the single BBQ box.

Should be the 220, since I just received one from Backcountry this week.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I know this thread has some info about running Giga stoves from bulk propane. But, has anyone successfully converted a GS-220 to run off a single large propane tank? If so, could you provide some hints about the parts you used to split the line (and regulators, or whatever)?

I intent to use iso to start, but eventually would like to avoid the iso bottles.

redsands

I know this thread has some info about running Giga stoves from bulk propane. But, has anyone successfully converted a GS-220 to run off a single large propane tank? If so, could you provide some hints about the parts you used to split the line (and regulators, or whatever)?

I intent to use iso to start, but eventually would like to avoid the iso bottles.

I've read through most of the thread, and have gathered that the Kovea adapters allow for the use of propane canisters which is what I intend on doing, but I'd also be interested in finding a way to split the line and use one canister if at all possible.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a GS-1000 and it runs with propane and an adapter.

Good to know. I've got a GS-1000 on the "to-do" list as well. :)

I have quick-release propane connectors on my 20 lbs. tank (like an air hose connector). They are really convenient. I suppose that it will take a manifold of some sort. Since the bulk of the hoses should be kept to a minimum, I'll have to play around with it when the stove arrives to see if I can put the manifold near the GS-220 (instead of near the tank). When I work it out I'll post some details here.

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
54ebffc6ad37727d5c279098ea4c07cf.jpg

The new 'grey on black' range of SP chairs look great.

Not sure they are worth nearly twice the price of the red versions but still nice all the same

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Just got an email from REI 25% off clearance. They have the 3 and 4 unit standing IGT setup for sale at 25% off plus the additional 25% off. It looks like you can also ship for free to your local REI store instead of having to pay an over sized shipping fee. The carry bags are also on clearance.

Pretty good deal.

$128 for the 3-unit IGT + 830 legs
$140 for the 4-unit IGT + 830 legs

Must resist! If I bought I still won't have the other components. I have backpacking stuff: a LiteMax + Trek 700 that I can put on the edge of the table frame. Ha!

DesertSand05

Observer
I went for the SP fire place this year, really tempted to jump on the IGT tables, but doubt ill ever get the use out of them many others on here get.

Plus there is no buying just the frame, next thing you know I am hunting down accessories from Japan :)

I am going to let this one go, but think this is a great deal and unless you are buying used, a chance to grab them very cheap.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The hook is to get you to buy the frame. Then you'll end up wanting to quickly pick up the other components. Although during the Black Friday/Xmas holidays there were quite a bit of clearance sales going on if one is patient to wait for sales.

Riptide

Explorer

I've sorta been working on this off and on for awhile. Originally, I bought the Kovea adapters, since I have a few of the FlameKing refillable 1lb canisters. And that works pretty good. But I've always wanted to be able to run the stove off a larger tank; I have a 4 lb Worthington tank that I use with our Magma gas grill.

I could probably source everything from a place like Propane Warehouse https://propanewarehouse.com . But awhile ago, I came across a Korean company called G-Works that builds really nice hose and manifold systems targeted towards the Lindal valve. I see some of their stuff on eBay, and Amazon, but I've never found a company website that shows all their products (edit: I just did, but gotta use Google Translate: http://g-works.co.kr ). Their hoses are braided stainless steel, and look smaller in diameter, with nice fittings.

I was thinking of using this tee ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2014-A...625780?hash=item4adb590b34:g:ynEAAOSwPe1UAyws) with a pair of short lines to the two burners. The shortest lines I've seen are 1.3 ft: https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-WORKS-Ga...hash=item41b098e38d:m:mcn7lb6W86751H2YX3kfvOQ

Then maybe put an LPG hose adapter on the inlet of the tee, and be done. But this might be even more compact:
G-works hose setup.jpg

I have reached out to an eBay seller, to see if he can put together a harness to my specs for the SP stove.

My other question lies with the need of a regulator. I suspect one is not needed, but G-Works builds a pretty nice manifold/regulator system: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

I'll post more when I hear back...

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Anyone have issues with the folding torch flaming out?

Actually, yes. I pulled mine out yesterday to play with it (for the first time). It seems like it flames out when you put the tip down (nozzle going from vapor output to fluid output?). If I would light it while tipped down in "fluid output" it would keep working. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow while I grill some cow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior