Snow chains or Cables

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Chains.

Because when I need extra traction, I NEED EXTRA TRACTION :ylsmoke:

Tossing chains or cables on should be a last resort. IMO

Ill only use them off road, or if there is more than a few inches of snow on the road.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
zChains.jpg

I prefer "Z" style cables for road travel. Easy to install in ****ty situations and easy to carry.

Ladder style chains are better for planned trips through deep snow. Hunting, closed roads, etc.

tarditi

Explorer
I would prefer chains, but some municipalities only allow cables.

Caterpillar Treads > Chains > Cables > Tire studs > Snow tires > walk

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
So what do you prefer to use and why?

Since I only use traction aids off pavement, I use chains.
Easy to install and they work well(up to a point, at which case the winch is then employed).

Cables and chains both have their breaking point. I believe cables will snap before chains.

AaronK

Explorer
I have cables because I never take my rig places where I need real chains. They're basically just to cover my butt when traveling in the mountains where carrying chains is required by law. And if I'm ever required to use them by law, I want my ride quality affected as little as possible.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Chains heavy duty with cam lock and lots of bungee cord. I run Goodyear Duratrac that have a M&S rating if I put iron on it is to get me out of the woods or snow and home. It is not what you do to go deeper in the woods or to play in deeper snow. If it is time to put on iron you are at the point things could go bad so do not push it!

The big thing is make sure they fit and fit tight and you keep them tight. Make sure they get put on right side out you will eat a tire up fast inside out.

I have 2 sets with me if we go to the snow.

Cables will break fast on big trucks and you are stuck no way to fix them just toss it in the trash.

So buy good chains and take care of them.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
Nomad1, where are you going to go? If you need to get to the ski area and the sign says "chains required" then cables, or better yet Z cables, are great. If you are looking for serious traction in an off-road or two track type of situation, then you want chains, the heaviest duty ones money will buy, and I prefer to carry two sets. One set with ice bars for the front and one regular set for the rear. I haven't had to chain up my truck since the massive storm of 2008/09, we had over two feet at my house in the Cascade foothills, and I went around breaking the roads open for all the neighbors, and winching their trucks out of the snow banks. It looks like we (and you) might see some snow this week, I will be getting the chains out of the barn and sticking them in the truck tonight. Probably won't need them, but it's good insurance.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Since I only run them when required by law (and thats only when towing) I use cables on the truck. I have chains for the Jeep but I've only used them once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz