Snow Chains on Fuso FG 4x4

StephenConey

The Fuso manual for the FG 4x4 states that "When driving in snow or on frozen roads, use tire chains (except FG model vehicles), ..." and later in the 4WD section "Select the 4WD mode if necessary for the snow or road surface conditions. Start out slowly. Tire chains cannot be used on both front and rear wheels. You are advised to use snow or winter tires."

An yet, during winter, there are occasions when chains must be either used or carried by law.

So, what do people advise. Just carry the chains for compliance and never put them on. Or, ignore the FUSO manual and use chains?

Hoping there are some snow birds out there with real world snow experience. BTW, I have an Earthcruiser FX if this is important for the answer.

Alloy

Maybe Fuso meant either front or back but not front and back at the same time.....better call Fuso.

Howard70

Adventurer
Yes, Alloy is correct. Fuso recommends you use tire chains on only one axle of a 4x4 (at least that’s what I recall from the owner’s manual of our 2014 and 2017 FGs). On our two trucks I messed about a bit and convinced myself that running them on the front could be a mess the wheels were turned to full lock and we compressed the suspension completely. We ran (run) 34” tires (315/75R) on 16” aluminum rims so our width and centerline could be different than stock. I decided to only run them on the rear. However, I’ve yet to actually mount them on a trip.

Howard

lucilius

All of this likely goes without saying for most, but if you have chains and don't use them often, practice putting them on/taking them off (guarantee you'll save time in the long run). I chain up on two and all four (not a Fuso but it is a heavy 4x4 camper) pretty regularly. Here is what I do: Know the weather, especially if you are going over mountain passes and especially at night. Not everywhere is like California where they are entitled to a chain-up-or-else SWAT team and light show on either end of the pass telling you what to do and think about the driving weather. In most of the mountain west and rest of the free world, they figure you are smart enough to take care of yourself and fools are a burden on everyone but know just enough not to drive in conditions they and/or their vehicle can't handle. So it's winter and you're the hard man taking your camper into some white cold adventure territory or maybe just to visit the in-laws so you aren't in a hurry to get there. Anyway, since it's dark and snowing heavily you might as well be taking the camper somewhere. When in doubt for winter traction, decide to stop and set up camp or get ready to do your chain routine: It's that easy but you must decide. Look at your watch and realize this is going to take at least 20-30minutes (if you've practiced) of your life that you can't get back, though that is better than sliding off the road which will take more. I keep all the chain gear in one bag, chains in separate (labelled front and rear) chain bags, they tangle. I have a cam tightening lever in each bag, throw some hockey tape wraps on the handle for grip and color, these disappear easily in snow and loose chains are not an option if you will be driving. In this bag I also have a pair of old insulated work gloves and an old set of goretex (top/bottom) and a wool hat: I keep the chains as dry as possible but there is always some rust, don't ruin your nice ski gloves or fine leather driving gloves. You will likely be under the vehicle, sliding around and getting up close admiring your burly tires that need chains, all in the finest weather, as you get them adjusted and tightened just right. It helps to have two people but usually there is some sort of reason the wife is too busy/tired/committed elsewhere just at that moment so you will be alone, getting under your rig, with old man winter, but you will get your traction. Be safe, drive slowly and take your time.

Last edited:

Jesse42

Stephen,

If I recall correctly, chains will not fit on the front of an EC. They will fit on the rear. I did a pile of research and decided to buy a set of chains from https://chainstop.com/. They were extremely helpful. I don’t think it makes sense to carry chains to simply meet the legal requirements. If that is your goal, just buy something cheap of Amazon or the local auto parts store. The RUD chains Alvin ordered for me are the real deal, but that comes at a price. If I need to use them, I am confident they will do the job.

FYI - There is a thread on the EC owners forum on this same topic.

Jesse

StephenConey

Thanks for the comments. I agree, I did not read the manual correctly, they must have meant either put chain on front or the rear but not both at the same time. I ended up buying the real deal snow chains and will put them on the back, when the day comes. I am headed to Yosemite in mid December, and will be a good time to practice, if there is snow or not. Thanks to lucilius for all of the good advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles