Snow Chains/Cables to Fit 255 85 on '03 Taco

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Anyone out there running snow chains on a D-cab Taco with about 3 inches of lift running 33's or 255 85's? I need some chains for the Expedition from Phoenix to Maine and am looking for a set of chains to fit my new 255 85R 16 BFG MT KM2's. They are going to be pretty tight in terms of fenderwell clearance with just the tires, so I'm thinking a Class S low profile type of chain or cable is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Look at the Konig snow chains sold by Thule. They have some low profile chains for SUVs, but it might be hard to find a low profile chain in a large tire size. Amazon sells the Thule (Konig) chains. I can find a link if you need it.

Now that I am thinking of it the Thule chains were the ones that Scott Brady used on the Arctic expedition, but I do not remember what size tires he ran for that trip.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips. I checked that link but didn't find them in 255 85. Tirechains.com I found has a bunch of options for my tire size, but only a few of them are low profile. I was looking here just now. The low profile ones are either the diamond chains or diagonal cables.

http://tirechain.com/255-85R-16LT.htm

Thanks again.

OldSven

Explorer
I got some off craigslist for my 33x10.5's but they are real heavy duty chains. Not sure what brand they are though.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Thanks a million, fellas. Melanie and I just have a little more wrenching, planning and gearing up to do before we hit the road toward the end of the month. Can't wait to see the northeast. It's gonna be great! :wings: The invitation is still open if anyone would like to join us for any portion of this trip.

Cheers!

~John & Mel

Bergger

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I ran the Konigs. They were extremely easy to install and offered impressive traction.

Scott,

I want to pick up some chains for my 2003 Tacoma Double Cab. I run 265/75 R16 AT tires. The Thule chains look interesting. Did you run the XG-12 chains with the self centering/tensioning cable or the XB-16 chains? Also do you have any experience with the Rud Grip 4x4 chains?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94