Snorkles

Scott Brady

Founder
Good idea Nathan... I know there will be.

Not only do I get the dust more, but the bugs too. I think it is just as Jonathan suggests, the stock intake point was very well sealed. In fact, when I removed the fender liner, it was totally clean in there.

I installed the snorkel for two reasons:

1. Water
2. appearance... :eek:

There are solutions to the dust issue though. Like turning the head around while off-road or installing a cyclone unit.

I certainly feel that the snorkel is worth the investment. I have crossed rivers in Alaska that required them, or you turned around...

pangaea

Adventurer
I was brainstorming with Graham the other night about this, and the easiest way that we could think of to measure the difference (although by no means purely scientific since there is no realistic way to keep all other variables the same) would be to -

1. make sure both vehicles are equipped with clean K&N filters,

2. do a before and after weight measure for grams of dust collected.

Like I said, it's not scientifically ideal, since that would involve having both vehicles equipped identically with exception to air intake type, and subjecting them to identical driving conditions (same place in line for convoys, same speed, same engine RPMs, etc). But at least it would give a good approximation... as well as something to talk about around the

:campfire:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I think this might work if you drove a snorkel-equipped vehicle in front of an otherwise identical (tires, especially) stock truck for about five laps up and down a long dirt road like the one to our place, then swapped positions and repeated. You could do an additional run with the snorkel reversed. You'd need a sensitive scale, but the test would be well-controlled.

Attachments

• 037FD270-662A-4682-92D5-4A4F27E672BF.jpg
    037FD270-662A-4682-92D5-4A4F27E672BF.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 50BB96B5-008D-4BEB-8560-0DC0F676E87F.jpg
    50BB96B5-008D-4BEB-8560-0DC0F676E87F.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 1

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Other mods for gas engines and water crossings?

Hi folks,
First I have to say great forum!

I've had a few close calls with the Tacoma while doing some water crossings and have been considering a snorkel for a long time. So, I have a few questions.

1-What other mods do you have to do if you encouter the occasional water crossing between 30" to 40"? I'm thinking alternator, fan, spark plug coil packs, boots and wires here?

2-For those of you with snorkels what have you damaged if anything when you submerged your vehicles?

Cheers :beer:,
P

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
p1michaud said:
Hi folks,
First I have to say great forum!

I've had a few close calls with the Tacoma while doing some water crossings and have been considering a snorkel for a long time. So, I have a few questions.

1-What other mods do you have to do if you encouter the occasional water crossing between 30" to 40"? I'm thinking alternator, fan, spark plug coil packs, boots and wires here?

2-For those of you with snorkels what have you damaged if anything when you submerged your vehicles?

P

Hey there! You will want to extend your rear differential breather using the nissan axle breather.... I'll see if I can link it in a bit.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
... I think it is just as Jonathan suggests, the stock intake point was very well sealed. In fact, when I removed the fender liner, it was totally clean in there.

FWIW, when I removed my fender liner to install my snorkel, the stock intake tube was filthy with dust.

And I agree that the snorkel on a truck like the Tacoma does not make your vehicle impervious to water damage, as there are electricals that are still vulnerable. But my logic with the snorkel is that it will prevent the intake from gulping copious amounts of H2O and filling the engine with water. If I end up having to replace a computer, or an alternator, I still think it's better than having to add a new engine to the list.

Pierre, that is actually something I am wanting to determine as well. I don't know if there is really any way to waterproof the electrical systems on these Tacomas without quite a bit of trouble. And I have seen them operate successfully under some significantly deep water with only the snorkel in place, so I am not sure that I am going to bother with additional measures or not. I can see maybe sealing up the plug packs somehow, but the alternator would be a tough one. The computer might be able to be relocated to a higher location.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I'm not sure about the Tacos, but I've seen the computers from 4Runners moved up into the glove box. Sure you lose some storage space, but then again your comuter is about 12" higher.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I forgot to mention that I have always been impressed with the way the alternator is mounted up very high on the Land Rovers. I wish the Tacomas were like that, although I guess the upside is that they do get some nice air circulation where they are, and probably not as much concentrated heat being up close to the hood.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
It is best to just avoid water!

flyingwil said:
Hey there! You will want to extend your rear differential breather using the nissan axle breather.... I'll see if I can link it in a bit.

Hi flyingwil,
No worries that was the first mod I did! :victory:

Chris,
I had read on TTORA about "water proofing" your Tacoma, but no other information was provided. I have e-mailed Scott and he did not suffer any alternator or fan problems during/after the water crossing pic he poster earlier in this thread. I do agree with your thinking about protecting the engine and sacrifcing the alternator or computer. Cheaper than a new engine. I must say that engines are pretty robust since I witnessed 2 hydrolocks this summer. One after the fact, the engine was toast but he was reving real hight when water was sucked in then another stalled the engine while crawling. No immediate problems, but I can't comment on the long term effects except to say that it can't be good. Here is a picture of the stuck.

DSC02671.jpg

P

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
What type of air filter do you use with the snorkel?

Hi folks,
One more question, what type of air filter do you use with the snorkel, stock or aftermarket? :confused:

P

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
p1michaud said:
Hi folks,
One more question, what type of air filter do you use with the snorkel, stock or aftermarket? :confused:

P

I like the Toyota OEM paper filters.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Hey Wil.......

If you don't want to shell out the money for a full size snorkel.........maybe you could get by with this one?!! ;)

Think of the money you will save.....and best of all......you can still see!

Just Kidding!!!!!! .......hehe

11242M.jpg

I actually need one of those too! Dang am I broke!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier