Snorkles

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Ok not to blow it but I can call it from living up there... it is a road in the dells right? As in head torards the airport and turn right at the flagpole. Coming from downtown if you hit old hwy XX (keeping it top secret) you went too far.

Ha! See I used to live there!

That is it... There is some killer rock climbing and rappels in that area.

My house is about 2 minutes from there, just up the hill from Willow Lake.

Attachments

• 1399698_10202433230334771_259117649_o.jpg
    1399698_10202433230334771_259117649_o.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 2

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I've put a snorkel pretty much at the bottom of my list. Southern AZ-what water, don't do much offroad in groups so I don't eat anybody's dust either.
After I have done most everything else I want to my rig, then maybe a snorkel.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The snorkel is high on my list for my '85, but not for the T100.

High on my list for the dust factor, as I occaisionaly do roll with others, and for the cool/fun factor. It's not 100% necessary for every trip, but its good insurance like sliders, lockers, etc.

UncleChris

Adventurer
pangaea said:
The second and more practical reason is dusty environments. I can say from first hand experience that it makes a pretty remarkable difference. A couple of years ago, I went on a trip out to Moab with a few other Land Rovers. My Disco had a freshly cleaned K&N filter, and a raised air intake (Mantec, if it matters), another Disco with us had a K&N filter that we had cleaned at the same time, but was not equipped with a snorkel. When we got back from three days of wheeling out in the desert, the difference between air filters was remarkable. Mine still looked clean and new, while the other Disco owners filter was absolutely filthy. I just wish that I had taken pics of it at the time.

The Snorkel will grab air at a higher level than the normal airbox. Because dust gets kicked up into the air and then sinks, more dust is floating around at ground level than at the level of the snorkel intake.

So if you are grabbing low air, you are going to grab more dust. If you grab higher air, you are probably going to get cleaner air.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
That is it... There is some killer rock climbing and rappels in that area.

My house is about 2 minutes from there, just up the hill from Willow Lake.

That's a Nice area, there. I used to have a few friends that lived up there.

I love the looks of a snorkle! Thanks for all the great feed back.

WIL

pangaea

Adventurer
> Great picture Nathan.
> When I owned my Discovery II, I drove it UP the Gila River.

Nice... What you don't see in that picture is that I'm sitting in water up to my knees... inside the truck. ;-)

BTW- How do you get your pictures to display in the message, instead of a link like mine?

Attachments

• Camper 008.jpg
    Camper 008.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 2
  • Camper 013.jpg
    Camper 013.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Camper 006.jpg
    Camper 006.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Camper 001.jpg
    Camper 001.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Camper 002.jpg
    Camper 002.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 2
  • Camper 005.jpg
    Camper 005.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 3
  • Camper 011.jpg
    Camper 011.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3014 camper interior 020.jpg
    3014 camper interior 020.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3014 camper interior 019.jpg
    3014 camper interior 019.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 0
  • N2157A-WaterMiser.jpg
    N2157A-WaterMiser.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image_11268.jpg
    image_11268.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3014 camper interior 010.jpg
    3014 camper interior 010.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3014 camper interior 008.jpg
    3014 camper interior 008.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3014 camper interior 009.jpg
    3014 camper interior 009.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 3014 camper interior 017.jpg
    3014 camper interior 017.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3014 camper interior 018.jpg
    3014 camper interior 018.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
Very Camel Trophy Nathan :arabia:

Regarding the display of images:
The best way is to select this button
insertimage.gif
in the menu. That will open the
insertimage.gif
button again, which will close the image tag.

pangaea

Adventurer
Thanks... And thanks to Flyingwil for letting me hijack the thread for my own personal benefit.

And for a quick test pic that has a snorkel in it...

VZdarryl48.jpg

pangaea

Adventurer
Wish it was mine... Those developing world Land Cruisers are beasts... If I had my choice, I'd have a HD79 Troopie sitting in my driveway right now.

:bowdown:

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 1

Scott Brady

Founder
pangaea said:
Wish it was mine... Those developing world Land Cruisers are beasts... If I had my choice, I'd have a HD79 Troopie sitting in my driveway right now.

:bowdown:

You and me both :bowdown:

Attachments

• front truck.jpg
    front truck.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 0
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 1

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Me three on the 79!

I have now read several posts on other forums, by Tacoma owners who claim installing a snorkel significantly increased dirt in their air filters, contradicting conventional wisdom. I wonder if the stock fender intake on the Tacoma might actually be better than a snorkel at precipitating heavy particulates out of the air stream before they reach the intake.

I would also expect that a snorkel would reduce power by forcing the engine to draw intake air through such a long passage. The post claiming improved throttle response seems to bely this, however. It is well-accepted that the "deck plate" modification on Tacoma air boxes noticeably increases power, by opening up the intake.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Also, I have to admit that on a purely personal, prejudicial level, my first reaction to seeing a snorkel (or, worse, limb risers) on a vehicle driving around the city is to roll my eyes and think "poseur," at least until I also spot mesquite pinstripes down the sides, like on Scott's truck! Or munched quarter panels.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I'm kinda surprised we have no Strains here! Some nice rigs there as well. Love the Patrol/Maverick! And the Cruiser.

pangaea

Adventurer
Jonathan Hanson said:
I have now read several posts on other forums, by Tacoma owners who claim installing a snorkel significantly increased dirt in their air filters, contradicting conventional wisdom.

Out of curiosity, are any non-snorkel equipped Tacos coming to the event in Nov? It might be interesting to see if there's any measurable difference after three days in the desert...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online