Snorkel Questions regarding horsepower

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Help!

Want to put a snorkel on my 2002 Brute, because it has a GM engine i have a few questions for the more learned members here,

1) Is there any loss of horsepower due to using a snorkel?

2) Because my Brute has a 5,3 liter Vortex V8, will i have a problem getting an adapter to fit and work in the engine compartment?

Yetters

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
It is unavoidable that you'll lose few ponies. The real question is will you notice it or will it even matter since you're running such a large powerplant? I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to fab up or modify your air box to accept the snorkel connection. I'm not real happy with the way the air box on mine is setup and will more than likely be using an enclosed cone setup in place of it. (http://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-boxes-inline?cat=C00000001)

On my 3.6 w/ the Rugged Ridge high mount the difference wasn't easily discernible from stock. With the pre-cleaner on I can notice a subtle loss of power, but nothing that really concerns me enough to not use it.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
I have a friend at banks, he did some testing on snorkel designs. What he found was that at idle they suffer, when you get up to cruising speed they acctualy add + air pressure by acting like a ram air scoop.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
I have a friend at banks, he did some testing on snorkel designs. What he found was that at idle they suffer, when you get up to cruising speed they acctualy add + air pressure by acting like a ram air scoop.

I can verify that with real world experience. Before I re-geared my TJ - it was able to hold speed in 5th gear but not accelerate - with the foot to the floor.

After fitting the snorkel, it was able to pick up speed at about 1 km/h each second.

The ram air effect and the fact that the air coming in the snorkel is colder than the air that's found behind the radiator seem to have a positive effect. Not to mention cleaner air / less clogged filters etc.

I'm a big fan of having the snorkel connected and it's cheap insurance if you accidentally discover a deep hole while crossing what you thought was shallow water. Will make the difference between being able to reverse or be towed out, vs having a hydrolocked motor.

I have the ARB snorkel on mine, had to cut a little clearance out of the Highline flares to make it fit, if your Brute has those.

photo.JPG

PA242495.jpg

duststorm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles