Snorkel on a 5.9 cummins

Mbrothers

I am looking to put a snorkel on my 01 dodge 2500. I am not wanting to do a custom install as I don't like the look of those and quite frankly don't want to try that hard. However I have been looking at other rigs with similar body lines. I am thinking about the 3rd gen Airflow snorkel or an 80 series Safari Snorkel. What do you all think? I am also going to have to get an SD airbox. My biggest concern and supply enough airflow to the engine under acceleration. Thoughts or concerns?

javajoe79

Fabricator
No comment on your particular setup or choice of aftermarket options but my truck is a Cummins and I fabbed a 3" tube from the turbo to a stock Dodge Cummins air filter box that I mounted up high and behind my cab. You can't really make it too big but I probably wouldn't want anything smaller than 3" ID.

1stDeuce

Explorer
So... With a turbo, restriction is a bit less of a concern that with a gasser.. It still makes a difference, but less difference than it would on a N/A engine.

You're going to have to use HUGE airflow tubes to have restriction on par with the factory airbox when you're relocating the intake by 4' or so, and adding turns to the flow. A forward facing scoop should make up for any loss when you're moving down the highway, as it force feeds the snorkel when you're moving. When you're not moving, you're usually not asking for 100% of what the engine can do...

Just some thoughts to consider, and likely why AEV didn't worry so much about a little extra restriction. Just a matter of making a tradeoff that works for your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles