Snomaster TR42S or CL56D for 2016 Jeep Wrangler (JKU)?

Vanhalo

Just sold my Snomaster LP66 because it was too big for my Jeep.
I just ordered the CL56D but I am wondering if I will regret not getting the smaller TR42S.
Anyone regret the CL56D in a Wrangler?

Septu

Explorer
I guess my first question would be do you really need the dual zones? I wouldn't be questioning the physical size so much, as the features of the two fridges. If I didn't need/want the dual zones or the fact that the CL56D has ~13 L more fridge space then I would have gone with the TR42S. If I needed/wanted that feature/size then I would have sucked up the larger size of the CL56D.

But then this is coming from someone who used a 25L fridge for almost 10 years and is going to pay ~1k CND for a fridge that's only 10L (or 50%) bigger then what he currently has.... so take it with a grain of salt.

grogie

Like to Camp
I have the 42 in the back of my TJ. The reason I bought it is the limited space that I have. It fits under a rack and I still have space to the left for stuff. For my wife and I, the 42 is plenty of interior room, and in fact more room then we use to have with an ice cooler. I recently bought a Tacoma Access Cab (two-door), and this fridge also fits behind the front seat being narrow.

If I were to replace it and assuming I had the room, I'd go with a dual Snomaster. However, as you probably also know, I keep mine at 34 degrees and I find that frozen stuff stays frozen, yet like water and adult beverages do not freeze.

YknYTO.jpg

Vanhalo

I guess my first question would be do you really need the dual zones?

I used the LP66 as a dual fridge. I am more concerned about the space and remorse from not replacing my LP66 with another dual zone. The LP66 was a great fridge and if I had Toyota 4-Runner i would have kept it. However the TR42S is more geared for the cargo space of a Jeep.

if I ruled out dual zones all together the choice would be between the TR42S and the CL60 (same size as the CL56D).

I guess my question is...for those who run the TR42S in a jeep...do they sometimes wish they had more space in the fridge or would they be giving up too much cargo space?

grogie

Like to Camp
^I'll add that I guess it depends on how much you cook (need fresh ingredients), and as well are away from even at least a minimart for basics? When the wife and I go camping, we usually only cook once a day (dinner) as we just like to keep cooking to a minimum, including to do more prep work at home (such as dicing vegetables... so that they take less room in the fridge), plus use smaller containers. Our 42 is mostly water, beer, wine, dairy products, meats, sandwiches, and eggs. And even with drinks, we only keep enough in the fridge for a day or two at a time since we can always chill more as needed. It's been such a change in mind from the days of using a cooler!

But, if you know who Marco Hernandez is (the Overland Cook), I can see a guy like him having a big fridge with all of his cooking!

grogie

Like to Camp
This might help you... here is the interior of my 42 as it's currently in my garage as a beer/ water fridge. It currently has 14 beers (12 and 16 oz.) and 14 water bottles, which I never carry this much of either in it when we travel.

In the top basket at the bottom of the picture, I usually keep that for dairy items and pre-made sandwiches. Meats go on the bottom, and I usually include a few frozen water bottles incase I lost power or I had to conserve battery life. Again, what's amazing is that I keep it at 34 degrees and some of the water bottles in this picture are completely frozen, yet I have waters that are right next to them aren't frozen. I can put frozen stuff in and they stay frozen! I love this fridge! It's been my most favorite camping addition ever! :)

ZWvBqE.jpg

Vanhalo

But, if you know who Marco Hernandez is (the Overland Cook), I can see a guy like him having a big fridge with all of his cooking!

I watch Trail Recon. My Jeep is very similar to his.
i don't see me with a skottle for 5.
Thanks for the TR42S pics. That helps.

381167-A6-29-F3-4204-91-F3-3-AD97-CDFBD75.jpg

Last edited:

Vanhalo

I ended up with an MT45 Engel. It has been a good fridge thus far. No regrets.
I still have the Snomaster TR42 NIB that i traded for.
i had a Snomaster CL56 but it was too big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior