Snap ring tool for front axle hubs

McGuyver

I bought a pair of 1 ton axles for my Ford E350 4WD conversion. The front needs some refurbishing. I am trying to pull the axle shafts, but I'm having trouble getting the snap ring off. I have two tools, but neither work. The one with pins is too fat to fit inside between the hub and the shaft. The one with flats just slips off the snap ring when I get it spread almost all the way. I'm wondering if there is a special tool that the Ford factory service manual calls for (hopefully doesn't cost a fortune). The front axle is a Dana super 60 that came out of a 2014 F350 superduty.
9b8e957632f7b5c09e421e1ec9676cd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
I spent several days fighting with mine. The cheap Harbor Freight were useless. I ended up grinding the tips of a set of long nose pliers.
Thanks for sharing these links. I am going to need to re-do the U-Joints and this time I may get proper tools.

McGuyver

They came a day early (thank you Amazon Prime). Got it off without much trouble. The Knipex 4611A3 snap ring players worked great. The only thing I would say might be better is if they were maybe an inch longer to give me a little more leverage. I believe they have a model that fits that description if you are willing to pay a little more. But that's a minor criticism. If you've got strong hands, these work great.
344ce80fb2d68126c17a356d0807e9fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne