Smugglers Cave Pictures!

BlueTrooper

articulate said:
Yee HAW! :sunny:
That's a tight looking hole...

Glad you liked the pic. I thought that one might garner some interesting comments.

We thought it would have been funny if someone had snuck into the other entrance to wait for him. Ah, hindsight! :rolleyes:

You have a very interesting and well-done website, btw!
:clapsmile

articulate

Expedition Leader
BlueTrooper said:
Glad you liked the pic. I thought that one might garner some interesting comments.

We thought it would have been funny if someone had snuck into the other entrance to wait for him. Ah, hindsight! :rolleyes:

You have a very interesting and well-done website, btw!
:clapsmile
Interesting comments? Yes, with the other desert pictures I was reminded of that horrible Kevin Bacon movie with the giant evil worms that eat people and live under ground. That hole is about the right size. :Wow1:

Mark
(thanks for checking out the website! :ylsmoke:)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
+ d said:
i gotta tell you though, its a bit embarrassing having more pics of my springs laying on the trail, !

Dont sweat it man, your rig did awesome! I have been wheeling for about 8-10 years with all sorts of rigs and have NEVER seen a rig spit out a spring! Shame on the ************** jeep engineer that didnt think of developing some sort of retainer. Every coil sprung rig i have ever worked on has some sort of spring retainers, that is a crappy design on their part!

Look at it this way, there was no damage done to the rig, you easily fixed it and it costs you nothing, now you know to fab up some sort of spring retainers.

I totally dig the superclean look of your rig, you have done some very well thought out mods!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I had a blast on this trip. It was the first time actually wheeling my 80 and i was very much impressed/pleased with it.

The trails were harder then i thought they would be but the 80 didnt even flinch! Definitely need to do a brake upgrade, but other then that, i am super happy it.

Big thanks to Bryan for setting this up, i would like to explore that place some more as well!

Kevin

+ d

Adventurer
Boston Mangler said:
...was the first time actually wheeling my 80 and i was very much impressed/pleased with it...

Big thanks to Bryan for setting this up, i would like to explore that place some more as well!...

anytime Boston Mangler and his big 80 wants to break trail i'll gladly follow!

you know it actually worked out pretty well for us as just a day trip, i was tired when i got home, but was back by 7pm. i would certainly do it again, its kinda nice to have minimal packing/unpacking to do.

i've got a few ideas on the drawing boards that will hopeful prevent any further spring escapades!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Kevin,

I hope you didn't mind me asking you to lead. You have the most capable rig by far. Those MTR's do real well and the rear locker rocks.

Speaking of rear lockers, get me a bottom line on your buddies elocker so I can start saving.

David,

Coughing up the spring in front of a bunch of 4runners:xxrotflma Those guys will talk about it for months! I rather enjoyed having all the different types of vehicles there.

BlueTrooper

articulate said:
I was reminded of that horrible Kevin Bacon movie with the giant evil worms that eat people and live under ground. That hole is about the right size.

About the right size for the juvenile worms, perhaps.

Funny, I remember it as a most excellent Kevin Bacon film. ;) It holds a dear place in my very eclectic video library.

Title is Tremors.

:lurk:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Boston Mangler said:
NEVER seen a rig spit out a spring! Shame on the ************** jeep engineer that didnt think of developing some sort of retainer. Every coil sprung rig i have ever worked on has some sort of spring retainers, that is a crappy design on their part!

They do use retaining clips, however it would seem that they do so selectively. My TJ had a retaining clip on only one side, whereas my XJ has clips on both sides.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
calamaridog said:
Kevin,

I hope you didn't mind me asking you to lead. You have the most capable rig by far. Those MTR's do real well and the rear locker rocks..

Not at all. It was a little tough at first because it was my first time wheeling anything that big, but it worked out well! The front locker should be installed in a month or 2, then ITS AWN!!!! :D

calamaridog said:
Speaking of rear lockers, get me a bottom line on your buddies elocker so I can start saving.

Email me for his contact info! I HIGHLY recommend the factory e-locker over the ARB's ALL of the wiring is there and it is almost a plug and play install! All you need is to find a used shaft, which i could locate for you. I got mine for $75

calamaridog said:
I rather enjoyed having all the different types of vehicles there.

Me too! I was MOST impressed by the troopers. Those were the first 2 i have ever seen offroad and both performed very well!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Kevin.....

I made it home about 1am this morning......after finding a mouse in my truck while trying to sleep! UG! I wrote the story over at 4WDTrips.

I got your SWR meter home safe with me. Now I want to do some online research before I start cutting up my antenna or experimenting with reckless abandonee!

When I'm done with it.....we can meet up in Carmel Mtn. Ranch for a snack so I can return it to you.

I had a blast this weekend!

While I was out trying to get to the Carrizo Gorge Overlook after you guys left sunday..........I found an 8 Ton Hitch (it's freekin' huge!) at the bottom of a steep drop into a wash. Maybe I can trade this to you along with some chips and salsa for some mod help one day.:D

Now there is an idea!...........we need to help you with your NEW--> Chips~N~Salsa Dispenser MOD!:victory:

Aloha! ................Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I love this shot by one of our YotaTech friends.

Looking down from the top of the Elliot Mine at our group which made it to the top! The Scenic WonderRunner is saying life is good on the far left in the pic!:D

The pic includes a 3/4 view of the famous Calamaridog!:shakin:

oops.....wait!.....maybe that's a Calamaridog imposter!

The view in the distance is the desert floor northeast toward the Salton Sea

DSC_5563.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin

Observer
Great photos! It looks like you all had a great time. That looks like a great area to explore with plenty to offer for all types of rigs. Next time you guys organize a so-cal get together count me in...I don't get my truck dirty nearly enough.

Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles