Smok'in Deal on GlobalStar Sat. Phones

pluton

Adventurer
I can conditionally recommend the Inmarsat Isatphone Pro; $550 or so for the phone; satellite always available(geostationary and you already know where it is); text messages billed at 1/3 the minute rate; send and receive email; Bluetooth plus conventional headset jack; slow(1/2 dialup speed) net connectivity. I haven't used it much, but so far it has been perfectly fine and has worked as advertised.

AFSOC

Explorer
You might want to research this a little. Globalstar has been out of service for a while. Even when they were in service it was spotty at best. i had several for work and we got rid of then for iridium phone .

Check out this thread. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68061-WANTED-Sat-phone

I guess this explains why there was an "incredible deal" on the equipment. I hope the OP will share his experiences. The retailer is a sponsor here, maybe we can get clarification from them.

August

Observer
We have Globalstar and Iridium phones at my work and I can tell you that Globalstar is making a come back. They have successfully launched 18 of their 24 new second generation satellites. Over the past few months, I have noticed an improvement in the service (shorter acquisition times, fewer dropped calls, good voice quality). Our Iridium phone on the other hand has become increasingly problematic (long acquisition times, dropped calls, poor voice quality, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles