Smittybilt XL tent won’t close very well with 2” topper

Captmarkhd

Hey guys, I just bought a Smittybilt XL tent and following all of the threads advice I went ahead and just installed a 2” memory foam topper on the original mattress. All of the threads that I have found say that even with the topper, sleeping bags and pillows the RTT will still fold up just fine!!! I don’t even have the pillows in it yet, just the topper and two sleeping bags and I had a heck of a time yesterday closing it, in fact some of the straps aren’t even long enough now to attach. I was able to get the cover on pretty good but it’s not grabbing all of the Velcro. What am I doing wrong?
I didn’t do anything special when I folded it up, I layed out the sleeping bags and the topper flat out and just folded the tent.
Should I have “pre” folded the topper and bags first? Ugh, it took me an hour to get it buttoned up. Thanks in advance!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Don’t know about the particular model, but yes, you need to pre fold and arrange everything on the permanent side of a soft shell tent so that there is room to fold, keep it all neat, and stuff the fabric. I arrange everything in a neat rectangle leaving about 9” on the sides and “front”, I’m 90% sure my tent couldn’t hold a 2” topper plus pillows and bags. If I swap my normal blankets for heavy bags, I usually end up a bit tough to close. If you laid everything lengthwise, it probably slumped as you folded and balled up at the end. Practice 5-10 times and you will do it as second nature.

Captmarkhd

Thank you very much for replying! I’m sure that part of my problem was everything just kind of landed in a big lump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier