Smittybilt Scout vs. CVT trailer

AOK66

Hi everyone,

New member, happy to be here. I currently have an iKamper Skycamp and am looking to get it off my roof and onto a trailer. I don't do anything particularly aggressive, but want it to have a bit of off road capability.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Scout and the CVT as my two finalists. I am not looking to spend 10k+ on a trailer setup. To me, looking at the features the Scout seems to make more sense. It has slide out drawers, breakaway braking, sliding compartment racks, a spare tire, an extendable awning support and more... My concern is that it offers all of that, and still comes in 1600 dollars cheaper than the more basic CVT. Is this because Smittybilt is a more widely distributed brand, so production costs can be lowered through scale, or am I missing something?

sn_85

Observer
I wouldn't get either trailer, I think there are much better options for the price. I would go with a brand that is more focused on trailers. Smittybilt has there hands on everything and CVT is more of a tent company. The reason the Smittybilt is cheap is that you actually have to assemble the unit yourself. It comes in a few pieces and you have to put it together yourself. For the price the CVT almost seems overpriced and pretty generic. I'm sure both companies outsource their trailer production and most likely in China.

If you're around the $7k mark I'd consider the Turtleback Getaway. They're known for high quality trailers and this is probably their most basic unit but you can add on lots of options to make it a complete trailer. Made in Phoenix, AZ.

http://turtlebacktrailers.com/our-trailers/turtleback-getaway/

Another basic option is the Anchor Mountain Overland trailers. It's basically a more modern M416 trailer. Comes in at $4,500 base price. Looks like a good basic utility trailer and can add options as needed. Made in Fruita, CO.

https://anchormtnoverland.com/products/overland-utility-trailer?variant=3824198713384

I think either options are much better than Smitty or CVT.

AOK66

I appreciate that! I actually looked at Turtleback, but when I went to their "Our Trailers" section, didn't see the Getaway. I know they have a great reputation.

Honestly I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all of this. I tend to do well when I can find a lot of tangible research on specs and reviews (I am sure MOST people do better in that scenario), but I am new to this world and I just don't have enough background knowledge to see major differences between some of these trailers.

If it isn't a hassle, can you advise why the Turtleback or Anchor is a better option that the CVT? Other than just the company's focus? I truly have no preconceived notions of these trailers, I am not advocating for the CVT over anything else... Just trying to get the best picture possible of why I should go one way instead of the other. I am leaning towards eliminating the Scout from contention. I don't have the time or ability to assemble a trailer on my own from their kit, and I am hesitant of the titling process of a "home-made trailer" with the state of Montana and the liability that may confer. Thanks so much in advance, I appreciate all the help I can get!

sn_85

Observer
I appreciate that! I actually looked at Turtleback, but when I went to their "Our Trailers" section, didn't see the Getaway. I know they have a great reputation.

Honestly I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all of this. I tend to do well when I can find a lot of tangible research on specs and reviews (I am sure MOST people do better in that scenario), but I am new to this world and I just don't have enough background knowledge to see major differences between some of these trailers.

If it isn't a hassle, can you advise why the Turtleback or Anchor is a better option that the CVT? Other than just the company's focus? I truly have no preconceived notions of these trailers, I am not advocating for the CVT over anything else... Just trying to get the best picture possible of why I should go one way instead of the other. I am leaning towards eliminating the Scout from contention. I don't have the time or ability to assemble a trailer on my own from their kit, and I am hesitant of the titling process of a "home-made trailer" with the state of Montana and the liability that may confer. Thanks so much in advance, I appreciate all the help I can get!

The CVT and Anchor Mountain trailers are essentially the same thing. A simple M416 style tub trailer that's a blank canvas for whatever you want to add on. Base price of a CVT is $7200 and base price of a Anchor Mountain is $4500. I think the main differences stock are the aluminum lid and Timbren Axle-less suspension that's on the CVT. If you upgraded those via Anchor Mountain it brings price up to about $6000. That's a $1200 difference for what are two very similar products and if you didn't care about aluminum lids or axle less suspensions that's $2700. You can either pocket that money or use the difference for a whole lot of upgrades and options.

For me however I think the Anchor Mountain being made in America is a big selling point. They make them right in Fruita, CO and are proud of it. CVT is a company that outsources everything and all their products sold are made in China. They don't make anything in-house. Companies like CVT, Tepui, GoFSR, and all these new RTTs you see on the market buy em all from the same factory in China. They just specify different specs and slap a badge on it. In regards to the CVT trailer they don't list where it's made. From their business model I can only presume its production is outsourced in China. If it was made in the US I have no doubts there would be a giant "Made in USA" sticker right on the trailer and listed on on their website. However its not and they don't mention anything about where its made. I'm not saying CVT sells bad products but if it were my money I'd go for the company where they make things in house right here in America.

For those reasons I'd take the Anchor Mountain over CVT.

AOK66

The CVT and Anchor Mountain trailers are essentially the same thing. A simple M416 style tub trailer that's a blank canvas for whatever you want to add on. Base price of a CVT is $7200 and base price of a Anchor Mountain is $4500. I think the main differences stock are the aluminum lid and Timbren Axle-less suspension that's on the CVT. If you upgraded those via Anchor Mountain it brings price up to about $6000. That's a $1200 difference for what are two very similar products and if you didn't care about aluminum lids or axle less suspensions that's $2700. You can either pocket that money or use the difference for a whole lot of upgrades and options.

For me however I think the Anchor Mountain being made in America is a big selling point. They make them right in Fruita, CO and are proud of it. CVT is a company that outsources everything and all their products sold are made in China. They don't make anything in-house. Companies like CVT, Tepui, GoFSR, and all these new RTTs you see on the market buy em all from the same factory in China. They just specify different specs and slap a badge on it. In regards to the CVT trailer they don't list where it's made. From their business model I can only presume its production is outsourced in China. If it was made in the US I have no doubts there would be a giant "Made in USA" sticker right on the trailer and listed on on their website. However its not and they don't mention anything about where its made. I'm not saying CVT sells bad products but if it were my money I'd go for the company where they make things in house right here in America.

For those reasons I'd take the Anchor Mountain over CVT.
I appreciate all your thoughts. I am definitely going to reach out to Anchor Mountain and see if I can get more info from them. It looks like the Turtleback may be just a bit pricier than I am interested in going, once you add on even basic rack system and tailgate. Thanks again!

AOK66

Talked to Anchor Mountain. Their trailers look great, exactly what I’m looking for. Unfortunately they are estimating 7+ months before delivery. Kind of a conundrum. May be worth waiting for though.

Attachments

• 1F29C791-BCCD-4DA2-B9E4-BC65F78BA29E.jpeg
    1F29C791-BCCD-4DA2-B9E4-BC65F78BA29E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • 1F6406C5-0976-44ED-AB76-3694CFA656AF.jpeg
    1F6406C5-0976-44ED-AB76-3694CFA656AF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 162
  • 2EE6FC22-D957-4BDE-9C63-EF547936A914.jpeg
    2EE6FC22-D957-4BDE-9C63-EF547936A914.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 170

Box Rocket

Companies like CVT, Tepui, GoFSR, and all these new RTTs you see on the market buy em all from the same factory in China. They just specify different specs and slap a badge on it. .
Not true. Common misconception but definitely not true. Also Tepui has been developing a Hardshell right here in the USA. ;)

Box Rocket

On the topic of trailers....I've got one that I built back in 2008 and it's seen HEAVY use over the past 10 years. It was a really fun project and I was able to build it to match my needs. It's pretty basic compared to a lot of the options out there but similar is features to the ones you've listed. However, having seen the CVT, and Smittybuilt trailers up close I can tell you that the one I built is significantly stronger. In total, I'm probably into my trailer about $3k with all materials etc over the years. If you're capabe of fabrication it's a good way to save money, build what you want and have a really fun project. I have a build thread in the trailer section of the forum.
IMG_8641 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8637 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

All that said, if you did not want to build your own and were looking for something fairly basic but strong and effective, I'd suggest looking at the Rockbox Trailers, or Manley Trailers. Both of those are also a similar design to the M416 but much better construction IMO. Prices aren't drastically different either. One other note, after roughly a decade of use, I don't think I'd want anything smaller than a 4x6' box. You'll be amazed how quickly you use the space in the trailer. If you are mainly just doing overnight trips pretty close to home then something smaller might work ok. Otherwise, consider the size. A good idea is to lay out your typical gear you'd plan to take in the trailer in as compact a space as you can on the floor of the garage and see how much space it takes. Look at trailers sized accordingly.
Manley ORV
background03.jpg

Rockbox
Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-4.01.55-PM.png

AOK66

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delayed response. After doing as much research as I can, I think I am going to go CVT. Finding out they made their trailers in Oregon was the tipping point. It seems like other than the Scout, the CVT is competitively priced, even lower than some of the ones shared above. All things being equal I would probably go Anchor Mountain, but being able to get my trailer in 2-3 weeks as opposed to 7+ months is huge, as I don't want to lose an entire summer of exploring.

The Scout certainly intrigues me but the need to find someone to build it for me (I don't have the tools or ability to do it myself) and the process of it being declared a "home-made" trailer when registering with the state kind of drove me away. I appreciate all of the input, thanks again!

Box Rocket

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delayed response. After doing as much research as I can, I think I am going to go CVT. Finding out they made their trailers in Oregon was the tipping point. It seems like other than the Scout, the CVT is competitively priced, even lower than some of the ones shared above. All things being equal I would probably go Anchor Mountain, but being able to get my trailer in 2-3 weeks as opposed to 7+ months is huge, as I don't want to lose an entire summer of exploring.

The Scout certainly intrigues me but the need to find someone to build it for me (I don't have the tools or ability to do it myself) and the process of it being declared a "home-made" trailer when registering with the state kind of drove me away. I appreciate all of the input, thanks again!
Maybe a moot point if you've made your decision, but given the size of the trailer you may not need to get it registered even if it's homemade. Most states require registrations based on weight and number of axles on the trailer. I have never needed to register my homemade trailer in Utah in the 10 years since building it.

OregonJKU

As Adam mentioned, this maybe moot if you made your decision but we purchased the Scout from 4 Wheel Parts and had them assembled it.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Perhaps a moot point here as well. Regardless, before we purchased our smitty, I was considering the exact same two trailers, as they about the same price, or at least very close. We ended up with the smitty, as the CVT was just a box. In our view nothing offers the features for the $$ the Smitty does. It is not a lightweight as compared to the Turtle, which is a great trailer, but when you build up the Turtle to compare to the Smitty's features, it became a quite a bit more expensive unit. We have already highly customized the Smitty, and love it. We would go the same route again, were we in the market. As was mentioned before, if you want to know more regarding the Smitty, then the link above will yield quite a support thread.
Happy trails.
IMG_7872.JPG

raocampo

Perhaps a moot point here as well. Regardless, before we purchased our smitty, I was considering the exact same two trailers, as they about the same price, or at least very close. We ended up with the smitty, as the CVT was just a box. In our view nothing offers the features for the $$ the Smitty does. It is not a lightweight as compared to the Turtle, which is a great trailer, but when you build up the Turtle to compare to the Smitty's features, it became a quite a bit more expensive unit. We have already highly customized the Smitty, and love it. We would go the same route again, were we in the market. As was mentioned before, if you want to know more regarding the Smitty, then the link above will yield quite a support thread.
Happy trails.
View attachment 453740
how did you hang your spare tire at the back? what is the water container you put in it? could you show more pics of your trailer? i am pretty set on getting and building this trailer since from my own research this is the best value for the money and the best for my application, i really would like to see what others have done with their buid...thank you!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I fabbed the rear tire carrier due in large to the high tongue weight. The build starts in post 379 here in the Smitty thread, on page 26.
The housing for the eccotemp L5 heater, was build from Carbon fiber. That build is covered in basic here as well, but more in depth on my High Desert FB page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/High-De...9/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1663394943699785

I agree with your assessment. It is not the lightest, not the best build, or best looking for that matter, but it is the best value for your money, and the most customizable. Sorta like a Swiss Armey knife on wheels. It has its flaws, but Smitty offers a solid product for very little money. You can buy other boxes on wheels, for the same money, but they are just that. To get the drawers and slides, you have to spend quite a bit more. Lot of value here, and it tows beautifully. :)
20180727_081036.jpg
20180727_120240.jpg
20180727_120301.jpg
20180727_172911.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles