Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

vidkun

Mine moved freely. Another thing you can do. Once you get the alignment use a paint pen or some crosscheck torque seal and draw a line on the nut to the frame. This way if it moves on you, you can tell easier. Mine move a smidge after hitting washboard roads, so I keep a wrench handy to put it back every so often.
Got it spinning now. Just didn’t loosen enough. You can see I need to bring top of wheel outward away from trailer. So which direction do I rotate the washer? Clockwise, CCW?

Taking it very cautiously as I already dropped the tongue in the dirt and had to redneck jack it up with a tractor. Lol.

Attachments

• 5A3F4F6C-C5B3-4EF1-B151-DB25895D2A30.jpeg
    5A3F4F6C-C5B3-4EF1-B151-DB25895D2A30.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 6EC96E5E-A7BA-407F-ACE7-814F956812DC.jpeg
    6EC96E5E-A7BA-407F-ACE7-814F956812DC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41

Silverback07

Adventurer
I don't recall which direction you turn it. You can see the tire change when you move it though. I just had a level ratchet strapped to each wheel across the middle and a tape measure in front of and behind the tire. Took two of us to make it a little easier.

Pau Hana

Vidkun, you loosen the nut and turn/rotate the bolt. The bolt and disc are one piece (welded I think). The rotation of the bolt makes the adjustments. I took a bit of pressure off the wheel when making adjustments but would lower and check to make sure I was where I wanted to be.

Silverback makes a good suggestion with the markings. Just checked the camber and toe after my last trip so I'll be marking where I am as soon as I get home.

thardin68

Wondering did you have the added support brackets that where sent out for V1's and it still broke? Or did you never get a set of the support brackets? I always felt the better solution was for SB to send out new tongues to everyone.

I did not have the support brackets. I called SB when the original problem showed up and was told my Trailer was from a different run and they were not needed. I took their word. I was fortunate the tongue failed in a parking lot while we weere stayiong for a week at a Timeshare. We were on the road so I had to remove the tongue, have it reinforced and welded, then reinstall to continue our trip. SB later sent me the new tongue.

I ended up fabricating brackets to weld to the frame just like the newer model so that I could install the Habitat tank set up. Its perfect now. I have no doubts on the trailer tongue now.

Tuning castor out of the trailer is a different story. I killed a set of 37" toyos within 10K miles. I am guessing I need to remove the stops for the cam washer and re-weld something on in a different position to allow for proper settings.

Fjordwarrden

Has anyone got any advice on registering their scout trailer in California? It seems like there may be a fair number of hoops to jump through.

Pau Hana

Has anyone got any advice on registering their scout trailer in California? It seems like there may be a fair number of hoops to jump through.

I posted on my experience awhile back. (see post #2636). To register a SB you'll need to gather the correct DMV paperwork, the MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin), and have the DMV inspect the trailer.

One issue I ran into was that the VIN number on the trailer and the VIN number on the MCO did not match. I hadn't noticed until the first time I went to the DMV and started filling out paperwork. This was a SB issue not a DMV issue. The MCO is included in the paperwork package that comes with the instructions and title. Just make sure that you check that the VIN on the MCO matches the VIN plate on the trailer tongue. If not contact SB and they will send you a correct MCO.

The other issue I ran into was figuring out the correct paperwork the DMV would need. Its been awhile but I think I had to fill out a Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) and a Statement of Construction (REG 5036).

Now the funny part. On the Statement of Construction form there is a list of codes that designate the type of trailer it is. Camping trailer, hauling, agricultural transport, tank, etc. The person at the DMV couldn't figure out what code to use. But filled out the form anyway. When I got my registration I looked up the code that they used, "CARN".
So my Scout trailer is registered as carnival equipment. ? We now call our trailer "Pennywise"?. LOL.

Fjordwarrden

I posted on my experience awhile back. (see post #2636). To register a SB you'll need to gather the correct DMV paperwork, the MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin), and have the DMV inspect the trailer.

One issue I ran into was that the VIN number on the trailer and the VIN number on the MCO did not match. I hadn't noticed until the first time I went to the DMV and started filling out paperwork. This was a SB issue not a DMV issue. The MCO is included in the paperwork package that comes with the instructions and title. Just make sure that you check that the VIN on the MCO matches the VIN plate on the trailer tongue. If not contact SB and they will send you a correct MCO.

The other issue I ran into was figuring out the correct paperwork the DMV would need. Its been awhile but I think I had to fill out a Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) and a Statement of Construction (REG 5036).

Now the funny part. On the Statement of Construction form there is a list of codes that designate the type of trailer it is. Camping trailer, hauling, agricultural transport, tank, etc. The person at the DMV couldn't figure out what code to use. But filled out the form anyway. When I got my registration I looked up the code that they used, "CARN".
So my Scout trailer is registered as carnival equipment. ? We now call our trailer "Pennywise"?. LOL.
Thanks for the help!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Anybody get any water intrusion to the forward stock tongue box? Nothing is jumping out at me but when it rains it gets wet!?

I’m about to dust the inside with talc and wait for the next storm at this point.

Maybe the factory hinge bolt holes!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeanH

Hi Everyone!

I've ordered a SB Trailer from 4WP. It should be coming and put together in a week or so. I'd love any advice or any easy mods. I plan on having the 4WP team make some quick and easy mods based on gear they sell, I'd appreciate any recommendations there as well.

A little about our uses. We are a family of four, a 4 yr old and 3 month old, and are avid campers and hikers. We had a roofnest rtt tent on our rav4 and just upgraded to a 4runner to be able to tow this thing. I wouldnt call myself an overlander but at least half of our camping is dispersed and we've gone into some precarious places where we probably shouldnt have with our rav4. 90% of our camping this summer will be in campgrounds just to get used to camping as a family of 4 and to get used to the trailer. Here is the list of items/mods I plan on getting:

Towing and Maintenance:
I've already ordered and received a lock n roll hitch. I'm going to get some trailer chocks, a standard tool set to throw in the tongue box (since I'm not putting it together, what tools would you recommend bringing with you on trips?), magnetic level, recommendation on a small jack to replace a tire? Any other towing/trailer maintenance items I should be thinking about?

Mods:
I'd like to move the tire to the back to use the soace upfront for jerry cans for water and gas and a propane tank. Any recommendations on rear tire holders? Preferably an easy to install one (one that goes into the rear hitch?).

Power:
I was just going to grab a 1000w jackery and solar panels.

Sleeping:
Upgrading to a new iKamper tent, large enough to sleep 4 (our current one sleeps 2 to 3)

Kitchen:
I've heard magnetic everything is the way to go, I've looked into magnetic paper towel holders, hooks, etc. Likely will just throw pots, pans, cups and plates into a wolfrunner box unless someone has any good ideas for kitchen storage/setup. Leaning towards a dometic fridge for the rear storage area. I can't seem to find a great drop down cutting board to put on the side of the trailer, seems like the logo "bar" gets in the way of any mounting options. Also can't seem to find a great magnetic cutting board that you could just take out and slap onto the fender, what's the easiest solution here?

Storage:
I'd like to put molle panels on the generator storage door and the rear door to help strap and store things like a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, hatchet, etc. Haven't found a great solution for that, anyone have an easy one to isntall/fits these doors without having to cut anything?

I'd like to put a small roof rack in the space on top of the trailer and under the rtt, anyone have good suggestions for that? I would use it to strap things like camping chairs and a table, etc.

Using wolfrunner storage for rear pullout tray for general camping items, etc.

Misc:
Planning on putting a 270 awning. Will use generator storage area for firewood and pop up fire pit. Will probably look into a diesel heater this fall for winter camping and will store it here as well. I'll mount recover boards somewhere as well.

I've read through about half of this thread and will continue to do so for ideas. I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice as a first time trailer owner (and to towing, in general).

Last edited:

Catalanbull

seems like the logo "bar" gets in the way of any mounting options
A few of us have moved the logo bar to the inside. Some have completely removed it.

I used a Smittybilt JK Defender Rack and it fits perfectly. I have pics in this forum. Attaching it was tricky but I didn’t have to make holes into the box.

Also I highly recommend this rear tire carrier:

He also makes racks for the Scout, you can ask him about it.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Putting anything other than doors on those hinges will be dicey they are not the best hinges I’ve ever seen you may change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeanH

A few of us have moved the logo bar to the inside. Some have completely removed it.

I used a Smittybilt JK Defender Rack and it fits perfectly. I have pics in this forum. Attaching it was tricky but I didn’t have to make holes into the box.

Also I highly recommend this rear tire carrier:

He also makes racks for the Scout, you can ask him about it.

I thought I read in this thread that the logo bar is a structural component? Alright, good to know.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll reach out on the rear tire holder, ill just have to learn to drill into steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior