Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

AlphaBacon

Thanks and yes! We absolutely had the same idea... set up a quick, easy, efficient, effective kitchen without putting holes into the new trailer!

For the kitchen counter, we just drilled two holes in the board and attached it with carriage bolts, washers and wingnuts to the two tie down points on the side of the trailer. The board itself was 3/4 "birch" plywood, just jigsawed it, sanded the edges, and saturated it with cutting board oil (mineral oil). Too soft to be a true cutting board but much lighter/cheaper. It gets stowed in the main compartment between the two slide-outs. Here's closeups:

View attachment 724202

View attachment 724204

View attachment 724203

As for the stove, we absolutely love our Eureka Ignite Plus, because it's large enough to fit 2 12" pans side by side. Amazingly, it fit in the compartment! We just removed the locking handle on the slide-out. Btw it's on sale until tomorrow at REI:
Eureka Ignite Plus 2-Burner Stove

And then the paper towel holder and spice racks... my partner found these and they're absolutely perfect. She found them on Amazon, and they've proven to have nice strong magnets. There are a couple different versions to suit your needs, so maybe look around on Amazon for similar items. We stow some of them on the inside of the door of the main compartment.
Magnetic paper towel holder and spice racks

Also she found a set of small magnetic hooks on Amazon that have been invaluable for hanging up various items when we camp. Something like these:
Magnetic hooks 22 lbs

Btw, the two stacking Sterilite drawers in the kitchen compartment have been perfect for us. Still leaves a bit of room on the sides and in front of it to stow awkward items. Highly recommended! We store all our cups, bowls and plates in there, plus a great set of nesting mixing bowls and miscellaneous kitchen items. We store our cutlery in a tray above the drawers. I believe these are the ones, but would have to double check the size:
Sterilite stacking drawer

Best of luck in building your setup! Let us know if you have any more questions. We've been extremely happy with keeping it low-tech, simple and inexpensive.

Thanks for the links! I built a larger cutting board yesterday with magnets that should be strong enough to keep the board mounted to the inside of the swing out door on the back. I'll need to test the idea on the trails but the magnets make removing the cutting board from the fender quite difficult so I think it'll work.

I still need to treat the wood with Boos Block oil but posting some photos as is now. I might round out the corner by the stove like yours, going to try it like this once and then decide.

I'm definitely ordering that paper towel shelf, that thing looks perfect, thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99

CRYA

Hey all, I've searched the thread to no avail. TRAILER COVER? I need one. Anyone found a decent universal trailer cover application that fits to just even keep the sun and elements off? Cheers.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Hey all, I've searched the thread to no avail. TRAILER COVER? I need one. Anyone found a decent universal trailer cover application that fits to just even keep the sun and elements off? Cheers.

An easy solution would be a pop-up, 10x10 canopy, with optional side walls. Walmart, Amazon, etc.

CRYA

An easy solution would be a pop-up, 10x10 canopy, with optional side walls. Walmart, Amazon, etc.
I appreciate that, and it’s straightforward concept, but it’s not the form factor I’m after. Really just looking for a soft cover so as to not eat up additional footprint.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I appreciate that, and it’s straightforward concept, but it’s not the form factor I’m after. Really just looking for a soft cover so as to not eat up additional footprint.

Fair!

I'd start my search with covers for large ATVs, side by sides, etc.

dkpnw

Would someone mind showing exactly how they drilled holes in the mounting plates to install the Ark XO750 tongue jack? None of the holes line up. I would prefer not to have to find somebody to weld a new plate, but if that’s the best option, I can still try and do that. Pics appreciated!!

6cb25bec07f5e34c29eadd7c65f0c45d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRYA

Was about to pick up one of these too. I see they have the black in a tube mount as well which I thought might be easier than the plate. Anyone confirm if the ark tube mount fits the Scout mount? They don’t provide dimensions.

Pau Hana

Would someone mind showing exactly how they drilled holes in the mounting plates to install the Ark XO750 tongue jack? None of the holes line up. I would prefer not to have to find somebody to weld a new plate, but if that’s the best option, I can still try and do that. Pics appreciated!!

6cb25bec07f5e34c29eadd7c65f0c45d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I drilled new holes on the mounting plate of the ARK to match the mounting plate on the trailer. It is solid and there are no signs of stress. Been mounted for over a year and a couple thousand miles. I only have one picture with me but I will take a couple more in a day or two. The ARK plate has a larger footprint than the plate on the trailer so the is some "overhang" but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Attachments

• tempImageN3rjio.png
    tempImageN3rjio.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61

dkpnw

I believe I drilled new holes on the mounting plate of the ARK to match the mounting plate on the trailer. It is solid and there are no signs of stress. Been mounted for over a year and a couple thousand miles. I only have one picture with me but I will take a couple more in a day or two. The ARK plate has a larger footprint than the plate on the trailer so the is some "overhang" but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Thank you Pau Hana! Exactly what I needed. I see that there is just enough room inside of the existing holes on the ARK plate to drill new ones to match the Scout mounting plate. At first I thought there wasn't enough room to drill those holes.

robepa

I did the same and have been running it for ~ 2 years with no issue. I did bend my XO500 pushing it over the garage transition extended too high so I would would lower it when you are moving it on the jockey wheel.

Attachments

• 20220613_083659.jpg
    20220613_083659.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 57

fd6axc4

Does anybody have a parts list of what you need to replace the bearings and everything that goes with it? I asked Smittybilt and they said Timken LM12749 and that was it. I'm looking for the inner and outer bearings, seals, and anything else that may need to be replaced.

Not doing it just yet, just want to have spare parts on hand in case the need arises.

mmrocek

Observer
Howdy ya'll, so I had my Scout since Jan 2018 and have used it a ton. This weekend we went out camping again and I was up early so decided to do a little walk-around my well-used trailer. I highlight some of the camping items that I love, for others to get ideas. It would be nice to see a walk-around of other users with items/mods that work well for them, I will be upgrading the trailer again this fall once the temps come back down (no motivation to do anything in Phoenix's 120F summer heat) I know I will be adding raptor liner, might do the whole thing as well as probably changing out the lead-acid batteries for some lithiums.

robepa

Does anybody have a parts list of what you need to replace the bearings and everything that goes with it? I asked Smittybilt and they said Timken LM12749 and that was it. I'm looking for the inner and outer bearings, seals, and anything else that may need to be replaced.

Not doing it just yet, just want to have spare parts on hand in case the need arises.

You inspired me, I just had to replace a taillight. I stared a Google Doc, this link should allow you to comment or I can send you and edit link.

Last edited:

fd6axc4

You inspired me, I just had to replace a taillight. I stared a Google Doc, this link should allow you to comment or I can send you and edit link.

I like it, thank you for doing this. I think I may had found the original brake assembly too here:

I *think* it's the 10" one but I don't know. I also *think* this may be a possible replacement, but again, don't know.

As for the bearings, somebody on facebook posted the following but I don't know if these are right or not.

timken 473317
timken L68110
timken L68149
A12 BR12 (82034 60590)
precision ?? picture of box but no model

I asked Smittybilt and they just said to use Timken LM12749. Unfortunately, there's seals and other things that need to be replaced along with the inner and outer bearings.

Pau Hana

Thank you Pau Hana! Exactly what I needed. I see that there is just enough room inside of the existing holes on the ARK plate to drill new ones to match the Scout mounting plate. At first I thought there wasn't enough room to drill those holes.

Glad it helped. I echo Robepa’s advice. Lower the tongue before moving. Less stress on the assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles