Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

fd6axc4

Mmhh I don't know how accurate that TW is, I believe it's north of 300. But maybe they fixed it in the Gen 2. One of these days I'll weight mine now that I have the spare tire at the back, I'm curious.

I'd be interested to hear. Finding information about the scout is difficult. From what I heard, the big thing they did in gen2 was add a bit more metal down the tow tube to strengthen the trailer and improve the welds. I'm not aware of any changes to the box that would cause the weight to decrease. I've seen on the forums that it ranges up to about 350lbs, but at 350, I don't know what is installed and where. My plan is to keep the metal on the tongue full of wheel chocks and light stuff...maybe sleeping bags? Pillows? Maybe look at moving the spare tire back or removing it all together and just have a plug kit? I do have a 200lb RTT that will go on it, and I would like to add a fridge to the rear compartment. We'll see how the weight is at that point and re-evaluate.

I've never towed anything in my life, which is why I'm trying to stay as light as possible. To top it off, I've heard the Wrangler isn't the best tow vehicle out there. Between my inexperience and the vehicle, I'm really wanting to stay under the vehicle rating of 350/3500lbs limit.

Catalanbull

I'd be interested to hear. Finding information about the scout is difficult. From what I heard, the big thing they did in gen2 was add a bit more metal down the tow tube to strengthen the trailer and improve the welds. I'm not aware of any changes to the box that would cause the weight to decrease. I've seen on the forums that it ranges up to about 350lbs, but at 350, I don't know what is installed and where. My plan is to keep the metal on the tongue full of wheel chocks and light stuff...maybe sleeping bags? Pillows? Maybe look at moving the spare tire back or removing it all together and just have a plug kit? I do have a 200lb RTT that will go on it, and I would like to add a fridge to the rear compartment. We'll see how the weight is at that point and re-evaluate.

I've never towed anything in my life, which is why I'm trying to stay as light as possible. To top it off, I've heard the Wrangler isn't the best tow vehicle out there. Between my inexperience and the vehicle, I'm really wanting to stay under the vehicle rating of 350/3500lbs limit.
The tent, if placed evenly on the two posts, I don't think should affect much the TW because the weight falls on the center of the wheels. Maybe it will affect a tiny bit because a bit more volume of the tent ( = weight) will be on the front side, but I really don't think it should affect much.

mmrocek

Observer

well I hope I win an award for jerry-rigging but see the photos for your answer. This is loaded to go with items on, (minus the CO2 tank,) including 20# propane tank, and the heaviest part - Goal Zero Yeti 1250 @103lbs and extra battery @100lbs in the generator drawer. Plus welded extra bracing to the underside. All that between the hitch and wheels. Like I said, I’ve had this trailer for years and my JKUR has not had any issues at all towing it.

97A2D103-C39A-493F-90F3-368C3DC9F10E.jpegEF518F22-C561-4A9A-AC03-535D48E57749.jpegD6D05993-E10F-4CAA-9B22-02F7297CE075.jpeg38ADA0C8-AA88-45CD-8A45-75FED0E657DA.jpeg

mmrocek

Observer
Flying down the beach in Mexico, dirt washboards of AZ, towing from Phoenix to Flagstaff all the time (big elevation change) and doing it at 70-80mph is not an issue for my ‘16 jkur on 37’s and 5.38 gears. The pics show how I am when fully loaded for a few days camping on the beach. Not trying to show off, just letting you know that I’ve had my 1st gen since ‘18 and have put it through its paces. Never had an issue with towing using the jeep and still have to hook up the trailer brakes - the wiring harness on the jeep.

all that said, if you are going to use the trailer to its max and not baby it offroad, I strongly suggest welding on extra bracing and welding it together where it bolts up. This is a bolt together kit, after all, so adding the extra bracing and welding the major pieces together will help you in the long run.

Attachments

• 9333DB97-C7FA-4B65-B8A9-DCB5AA2B7B25.jpeg
    9333DB97-C7FA-4B65-B8A9-DCB5AA2B7B25.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • AFB28FC3-8FE4-46F4-BF5E-39CA3000B256.jpeg
    AFB28FC3-8FE4-46F4-BF5E-39CA3000B256.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • 50B081B1-4C8E-4055-9A50-9DE6E47777A6.jpeg
    50B081B1-4C8E-4055-9A50-9DE6E47777A6.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 100

mmrocek

Observer
Sorry, one more thing for jeep owners searching. I am running a metalcloak 3.5 lift on 37’s and 5.38 gears. Also no rear sway bar and the Falcon adjustable shocks - make a big difference in handling by setting them on hard in the rear when towing. That is all.

fd6axc4

well I hope I win an award for jerry-rigging but see the photos for your answer. This is loaded to go with items on, (minus the CO2 tank,) including 20# propane tank, and the heaviest part - Goal Zero Yeti 1250 @103lbs and extra battery @100lbs in the generator drawer. Plus welded extra bracing to the underside. All that between the hitch and wheels. Like I said, I’ve had this trailer for years and my JKUR has not had any issues at all towing it.

Thank you for posting this!!! I'm relieved to know that a setup like yours is still under the 350lbs on the tongue. I say that I'm going to keep it light and be mindful of the weight. I can see myself slowly building it up over time and get to a point like yours. Maybe less batteries....but something along those lines.

Two questions... Did you move the spare tire on the trailer to the back? And is your JKUR stock, lifted, and/or do you use air bags?

Thanks!

fd6axc4

Flying down the beach in Mexico, dirt washboards of AZ, towing from Phoenix to Flagstaff all the time (big elevation change) and doing it at 70-80mph is not an issue for my ‘16 jkur on 37’s and 5.38 gears. The pics show how I am when fully loaded for a few days camping on the beach. Not trying to show off, just letting you know that I’ve had my 1st gen since ‘18 and have put it through its paces. Never had an issue with towing using the jeep and still have to hook up the trailer brakes - the wiring harness on the jeep.

all that said, if you are going to use the trailer to its max and not baby it offroad, I strongly suggest welding on extra bracing and welding it together where it bolts up. This is a bolt together kit, after all, so adding the extra bracing and welding the major pieces together will help you in the long run.

Thank You! I'm having 4 wheel parts assemble it because I have no way of getting it home. They won't drop it at my curb and I have no way to transport it from the store to my house. It would be nice to know how it gets assembled so I can watch for things in the future, but maybe I'll just have to study it after I get it home.

Right now my plan is to use it on forest roads, which I don't believe fit the category of using it to the max. :) Today that's my plan, but who knows where I'll be a year or two from now. I just have a stock JLUR and just getting started with going on adventures. I would like to do the Daniel Boone trail with it, but it looks like that's a relatively mild trail.

I'm starting to sense that moving the tire to the back is a common sense mod to do right out the gate.

Thank You!!!

mmrocek

Observer
Thank you for posting this!!! I'm relieved to know that a setup like yours is still under the 350lbs on the tongue. I say that I'm going to keep it light and be mindful of the weight. I can see myself slowly building it up over time and get to a point like yours. Maybe less batteries....but something along those lines.

Two questions... Did you move the spare tire on the trailer to the back? And is your JKUR stock, lifted, and/or do you use air bags?

Thanks!

See in my last post above on my jeep mods. No airbags, Metalcloak lift coils and Falcon shocks. And yes, I did move the tire to the rear using a yakima swing away and an eTrailer spare tire holder. I wanted something modular, but will in the near future probably buy the one that everyone else is running from the company that makes a bolt on carrier for the trailers. They were not around when I got my trailer. Once the lead acid Goal Zero batteries die, I will for sure upgrade to lithium, which will save me 150lbs that adds to the tongue weight. Look through the assembly manual to see where the big parts connect. Also the failure point, before SB added bracket and fixed their welding techniques, was on the frame rail just behind the front box where the rails start to bend into each other. keep an eye on that or do what I did and have a shop reinforce the crap out of it for a few hundred bucks.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I know i'm stuck on the weight here... :D But at what point in your build was it 210lbs? I saw your youtube video with the water tanks, fridge, generator, etc. Was it 210 bone stock, or 210 in a configuration like the one that was in the video?

I haven't seen a really great number posted of the tongue weight other than the picture of your scale. The general consensus is that it's heavy, and I'm sure it is. Just trying to get a more exact idea to know if I'm making a huge mistake purchasing a scout.

Thank You!

Sorry for the long pause. Been busy. the 210 was after all of the modding. It was close to 400 stock if memory serves me correct.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I'm not sure why it didn't click with me to ask Smittybilt. I think I probably thought it would get sent to a spam mailbox that nobody answers. :)

In any case, I sent them in e-mail today and a few hours later, I get a response. The rep said that an empty, stock trailer's tongue weight is anywhere from 150lbs to 200lbs. In case anybody is paranoid about it like me. :)

I'm glad to see that it's way under the max tongue weight for the Wrangler. This is, of course, empty. Hopefully it doesn't get a lot higher when I cautiously add the RTT.

They are wrong, and lots of it.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
They are wrong, and lots of it.

I agree, there’s no reason for the variable weight in that scenario. Reeks of someone guessing. Bone stock nothing on it is a simple measurement to take and one that would not change. Guessing is the lazy answer. And bone stock it took two folks to lift the tongue in my personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fd6axc4

This week my Scout was finished being built so I went out and picked it up this-morning. I have a 2021 JLU Rubicon that's stock, other than a winch on the front. Here's a few take-aways....

I went to pick it up with no hitch because I was going to buy one there. They had a multi-level drop hitch that I ended up buying there because I needed something. After hooking it up, the trailer was tilted a bit low and it was a bit close to the spare. I ran to harbor freight and bought a 12" extension so we could flip the multi-level drop hitch around. Apparently, this drop-hitch could only fit one way, as it was angled and prevented me from inserting it upside down into the receiver.

At that point we were going to make it work with the extension, but with that 12" extension, the chains were too short. It may had worked, but I was uncomfortable with the length of the chains. I ended up taking my Jeep spare off, throwing it in the Jeep and just using the regular multi-level hitch to just get it home. Now that I'm home with it, that's one area that I need to work on.

Weight-wise, yes, it's heavy like everybody says. I took a 300lb max dial type bathroom scale and put the tongue on it. It weighed around 310lbs just by itself. I took the spare tire out and then it was about 250lbs. It did make the Jeep sink a little in the back, but I would say that it's nothing outrageously noticeable.

I've never towed anything in my life, and to my surprise, it was easy to tow with the JLUR. Yeah you felt it back there a little but for the most part, it was fine. I didn't take it on the highway though, just up to about 45 to 50mph.

Upon pickup, 4wp did have a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin", which looks very similar to a title. Supposedly, I take this into the Secretary of State and then I can get plates for it. I thought the local SoS office would have trailer plates but it looks like I need to go elsewhere on a different day for this.

I know there's a lot of veteran owners here, but if anybody has any questions, please post them!

mmrocek

Observer
I've never towed anything in my life, and to my surprise, it was easy to tow with the JLUR. Yeah you felt it back there a little but for the most part, it was fine. I didn't take it on the highway though, just up to about 45 to 50mph.

Upon pickup, 4wp did have a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin", which looks very similar to a title. Supposedly, I take this into the Secretary of State and then I can get plates for it. I thought the local SoS office would have trailer plates but it looks like I need to go elsewhere on a different day for this.

I know there's a lot of veteran owners here, but if anybody has any questions, please post them!

Good to see you finally got it. Yes, they tow great on and off road with a maxcoupler hitch. On the freeway doing 80mph with no issues. I'm in AZ, and after building my trailer in the driveway I just took it to a local 3rd party DMV where I told the 16 year old that it's a homebuilt trailer. She came out, checked the lights, slapped on a vin sticker and then we went inside where she gave me the permanent registration plate and the title. Took about 20 mins all in all. I have heard of others having issues but not sure why people don't just register it as a homebuilt, as that's what it kind of is - home built kit - as Smittybilt intended it when they started building it.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
6678ef3113526f05c6bf9912960df565.jpg

6d8ef61ace0ded78f41eae3cae3ac1cf.jpg
I call it the “I ran into a gate mod”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online