Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Hi all, picking up a new to me Scout tomorrow and am wondering, does anyone know of or can show any examples of solar mounted for charging while running? The issue is pulling into camp in evenings, then getting up and running the next morning without having time to actually charge stationary. This is for keeping a fridge going on a multi-day run. With an RTT, I'm guessing I'm outta luck or need to mount the solar to the vehicle roof and run a cable back to the trailer battery. Appreciate any ideas.

Dc to DC would be your best bet imho. If your driving your making power just need to put it in the trailer. I have a dc/dc for when towing and solar panels I put out when stopped. 90% of the time I’m packed and on the road by 1100 so no meaningful solar time especially if I’m tucked in somewhere tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I have an Anderson 50amp with 8 awg from the battery back on my TV. The trigger wire for the dc/dc is off of the running lights on the trailer. So after I start, pop on the lights, do my walk around and verify charging is taking place and scoot down the road.

360675c446402c30d20db5431def0cf2.jpg

You can see the renogy unit here. All my avionics/electrical mess is contained in my passenger saddle box.

Last edited:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Today’s project…. Kitchenette gets a little more kitcheny
24dd0befdc6f23b609c4a2de111d08e7.jpg

4fedcb013e0aaf1f8f76ff9ff7303416.jpg

Only took me three tries lol

Had to reverse the door latch swing direction
From 6 open 3 shut, to 12 open 3 shut.

Had to cut an inch off the box for the door latch to have room as well. Didn’t even think about it when I was measuring.

Construction glue is not enough to hold the wood scabbed on the metal wall to screw the slides into I ended up screwing through the side of the box with sealant. I loathe putting holes in the exterior skin.

18” from edge of stove (deployed) to edge of shelf

So ordered Amazon 18” locking 150’ drawer slides worked great.

Wood is cabinet grade 3/4, 1/4” birch, you could do 1/2 if your good with woodworking. I’m not this was my first time using a table saw.

Last edited:

mmrocek

Observer
Do we have any Scout owners from Arizona here? I would love to do a meet-up and maybe some camping/overlanding trips. I am in North Phoenix and spend a lot of time in Flagstaff as well. Feel free to message me or reply here.

jojackc

Do we have any Scout owners from Arizona here? I would love to do a meet-up and maybe some camping/overlanding trips. I am in North Phoenix and spend a lot of time in Flagstaff as well. Feel free to message me or reply here.

I'm in Chandler. Spend most of our time camping in the Payson area. But we do make a few trips a year to the Williams Area.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Anyone use a 2 bike hitch rack on the factory rear receiver on the Scout? I know its not rated for allot of weight. Pics if you have them. Thanks

CRYA

I’ve read a little into the thread about wheel adapters. I’m not super proficient on the stock wheels, but I’m potentially looking to match my LR4s wheel which are 18x8 et44. Any spacer experts can opine on whether some spacers from a place like Bora would get fitment done?
Thanks

Hebs

Hi, I am also in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in Hickory. I have a Scout trailer and camp. Let me know as well if you need any help.

Hello, I camp with my scout in NC sometimes and am always on the lookout for more places. Have you ever camped up near Mortimer, or Grandfather mountain? (Side question, know of any good forums for the Scouts?)

fd6axc4

After taking too long to make a decision, we finally decided on the Scout. I did have two questions though....

- Is 4wp the quickest place to order these through? I've read that it may take 21+ weeks.
- What is the dimension from the roof rack bars to the ground? IE: Do you hit your head when you fold your RTT out? Are you able to wheel it into a garage door with a 7' clearance with a RTT on?

Thanks!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Lot of variable there for the door where you set your tent height, size of tire, dimensions of tent closed etc

I flatten my 33” tires to allow my just over head height at floor mounted tepui to fit in my 7’ garage door by less than an inch

But it does fit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles