Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Johncmng

cb077eb5f8a0ce644f56b985c38b2669.jpg

d17f9ab3e6bb8013f6609b5dbf4267df.jpg
I used a different box also from Harbor freight in a different way and I turned them in the tables the top I used to put my cooking stuff on and then I use the fender underneath as my prep board cooking area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That looks great. I couldn't find the box that you have. Do you have a link to it?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
26” from back of box to back of box I stash firewood or other stuff there with a bungee net
To keep it secure
f01c0834df746b586638a819ce05d7cc.jpg

Lid fits between stanchions perfectly
54d28ce5489682ad0e4a05a5bc9d6561.jpg

I set the depth by using the hinges on the box
8987cdabd3b3406b89bccd189e21edda.jpg

I used some wire rope and some picture hanger straps to make anchors on the lid and box
073a3a98d1fb6897865333a77282487b.jpg

fe66625ff0cf001ea201584bad94a954.jpg

I did it this way so I could maximize space under the awning where I cook and because I have other plans to make a T shaped box over the rest of the back for water and lockable storage. Local locksmith modified the locks to all be the same key

fd6axc4

I'm interested in the Scout, as it has pretty much everything I'm looking for and a great price. The big thing that is on my mind is the talk about the cracking welds on the frame.

Can anybody comment on how this was remediated in new versions of the trailer? It looks like some welded a 2x2 tube to strengthen the trailer. It looks like smittybilt sent reinforcement kits to others.

I'm interested to hear thoughts about it and maybe even see how it was fixed.

Thanks!!

jojackc

I'm interested in the Scout, as it has pretty much everything I'm looking for and a great price. The big thing that is on my mind is the talk about the cracking welds on the frame.

Can anybody comment on how this was remediated in new versions of the trailer? It looks like some welded a 2x2 tube to strengthen the trailer. It looks like smittybilt sent reinforcement kits to others.

Thanks!!

There's pictures somewhere in this thread, but Smitty did make changes to to underneath of the trailer to solve the weld breaking issues.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Far as I know the welds are a non issue now

I did 30 days straight last just had an amazing time trailer worked great except for a busted slide. Smitty sent me a total of 4 sets of slides u til I found one that worked

jojackc

Far as I know the welds are a non issue now

I did 30 days straight last just had an amazing time trailer worked great except for a busted slide. Smitty sent me a total of 4 sets of slides u til I found one that worked

One of my slides broke too. Been waiting like 6 months for them to send me a new one. What ones did you find that worked?

its_not_a_tuba

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. I have decided to pull the trigger on a Scout that I will be pulling behind my 2021 Bronco 4 door. Prior to placing my order for the Scout I am trying to determine how I want to handle the spare tire. I really would like to get rid of the spare on the Scout or at least get it moved to a swing out tire carrier. I am leaning on getting rid of it all together and just relying on the spare on the Bronco. Trouble is the Bronc has a 6x5.5 bolt pattern and the Scout has 5x5. My thought is to just keep one of these wheel adapters in the trailer and in the event of a blow out add the adapter and mount the spare. I am a bit worried about fitment though, particularly the length of the bolts on the Scout's hub protruding outside of the inner half of the hub preventing the outer half from bolting on. Have any of you installed a 6x5.5 hub and did you have to shave down the existing lug bolts?

its_not_a_tuba

Thanks Silverback, do you know which ones you bought by chance? I may be over thinking this but 4WP is telling me that a) they cannot install the spacers if they don't sell the part and b) if I drive the Scout home there could be an issue with giving me a full refund for the stock 3 tires and wheels since they will then be "used". So basically I have to buy the trailer and the replacement 6 hole wheels and tires, run home and install them and bring the 3 OG wheels back to 4WP for a refund in short order. It will be a major buzz kill if I get home and the hubs I bought don't work.

mmrocek

Observer

Thanks!!

I ordered my trailer way back on Jan. 20, 2018 for a grand total of $5,399.99 shipped to my house driveway. So I was one of the people that suffered from the bad/cracked welds. Smittybilt did send out reinforcement brackets but they were too small/flimsy for my taste and I already needed to have the welds repaired, so I opted to have a shop fix welds, add reinforcements and weld up the bolted-together areas. See circled area in pic below for where mine cracked after driving down washboards and the following photos are of the additional bracing added. I can not speak for the newest gen, I know SB modified the trailer a bit since mine and addressed the issue. But even if I bought it today, I would still weld up the bolt together areas just because I'll never have the need to disassemble it for shipping and is just adds more strength. I love the trailer and have beaten it up a bit more since these photos were taken, almost 4 years ago, it has been solid for light/medium "overlanding," beach runs/camping and even some rock crawling to get to further away destinations. Hope this helps, sorry I do not have a pic of the bracket SB sent as it was thrown away when I laid eyes on it.

57923510888__28F67CBD-99D4-4457-A46C-F5031F6C2083.jpg

IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_2013.jpeg

el jefè in CA

I ordered my trailer way back on Jan. 20, 2018 for a grand total of $5,399.99 shipped to my house driveway. So I was one of the people that suffered from the bad/cracked welds. Smittybilt did send out reinforcement brackets but they were too small/flimsy for my taste and I already needed to have the welds repaired, so I opted to have a shop fix welds, add reinforcements and weld up the bolted-together areas. See circled area in pic below for where mine cracked after driving down washboards and the following photos are of the additional bracing added. I can not speak for the newest gen, I know SB modified the trailer a bit since mine and addressed the issue. But even if I bought it today, I would still weld up the bolt together areas just because I'll never have the need to disassemble it for shipping and is just adds more strength. I love the trailer and have beaten it up a bit more since these photos were taken, almost 4 years ago, it has been solid for light/medium "overlanding," beach runs/camping and even some rock crawling to get to further away destinations. Hope this helps, sorry I do not have a pic of the bracket SB sent as it was thrown away when I laid eyes on it.

View attachment 705559

View attachment 705560

View attachment 705561
What’s the bracket you’re using for the 20# propane tank? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles