Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Anyone have any information about the registration process in Washington State? I am not at all familiar with how this trailer will be licensed here. I’ve read through some of the posts about various issues in other states… Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi dkpnw, here is CA was super crazy a while back from what I hear and the number one reason was the kit that they use to sell without the rims and tires but not anymore. I went to a local registrations office (privatly owned) that they registered as a regular trailer but I made sure it had the make and model number just like it appears on the plate on the trailer. If you go an actual DMV office they may make it harder than it needs to be. We all know how the DMV operates. So go to a local registration office, they charge a small fee but its definitely worth it. I don't know where you live of course but here is one so you get the idea...

1638487264022.png

KeithWells

Crappy welds, but it will hold. It held from KY to CO thru Medano Pass and is still holding strong
Hi KeithWells, thank you for clarifying that for me and I can see whey it would be a weak point. Do you a some pictures of how you did yours? If you don't can you please take some pictures of it so I can see it. Thank You.
20211204_150522.jpg

Hi Guys,
Did a little project this past weekend, I added a shelf to the generator portion of the trailer. I have a Joolca hot water shower and faucet system and needed a system to store all of the items that come with it.

Attachments

• 20211205_183613.jpg
    20211205_183613.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
  • 20211205_192149.jpg
    20211205_192149.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20211205_194940.jpg
    20211205_194940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 20211205_194515.jpg
    20211205_194515.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 20211205_192219.jpg
    20211205_192219.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 77

cptmishu1984

hudsonjt

I'm in Mooresville. How about you? We camped at these three locations this past spring/summer: Arrowhead campground at Uwharrie, Cape Lookout, and Freeman Park. All great places. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Hi, I am also in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in Hickory. I have a Scout trailer and camp. Let me know as well if you need any help.

ajmtrader

Hi, I am also in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in Hickory. I have a Scout trailer and camp. Let me know as well if you need any help.

I spend time in Hickory with a few friends I have there. If you want to get together, let me know. Always interested in seeing and learning about upgrades.

Does anybody have a Tuff Stuff Alpha mounted on there Scout. Or any larger Hard shell RTT
Hi, I was thinking the same about the Tuff Stuff Alpha I "really" like. The problem I see is that when you try to open it you will hit the awning (pillars) I cannot think of the actual word but you understand. I would like to know if anyone had ever put one on this trailer. Thank You guys.

Attachments

• tuff-stuff-alpha-hard-top-side-open-tent-black-4-person-roof-top-tent-tuff-stuff-overland-6621...jpg
    tuff-stuff-alpha-hard-top-side-open-tent-black-4-person-roof-top-tent-tuff-stuff-overland-6621...jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 42

tripc

Observer
Hi, I was thinking the same about the Tuff Stuff Alpha I "really" like. The problem I see is that when you try to open it you will hit the awning (pillars) I cannot think of the actual word but you understand. I would like to know if anyone had ever put one on this trailer. Thank You guys.
Exactly, I have a 270 Awning and Im trying to think if I can get the Alpha to work

dkpnw

Hello all! Wanted to give a quick update in case it's useful to anyone going through the process of ordering, receiving, assembling and registering one of these trailers, particularly in Washington State.

I want to preface the below by saying: we are still overall extremely happy and excited to get out in our new Scout! We feel so fortunate to be able to fulfill this dream of ours!

But boy it's been a saga.

The good part: registration was super easy, surprisingly! (Thanks The Wolf 1 for offering your tips) We had hoped but didn't know for sure that it would come with a VIN/MCO. But it did! and therefore was a trivial matter to go to the licensing office here in WA state and give them our VIN/MCO certificate and invoice from 4WP. Yay!! Big relief.

The rest has been a frustrating process, caused in equal measure by 4 Wheel Parts and by Smittybilt. We have kept up a relatively good cheer about it though, I guess Covid has made us all hopefully more tolerant and patient! 4WP was a total mess to deal with. It feels like they hardly want to take your $8k. The short version: it took talking with about 8 different people at the national number plus 2 local stores, to sort out our order, track it properly, and come up with a feasible plan to pick it up, since one of the stores claimed they don't even have a forklift. All throughout, communication was horrible, and only dogged persistence on our part prevented our trailer being shipped to Timbuktu or some such. On top of that, when our friend with the big box truck went to pick it up, 4WP forgot to give him the wheels/tires plus a bunch of the other parts. It was a comedy of errors. Not that we didn't meet some very nice and helpful people at the store, but many of them were reticent and reluctant to be helpful. So in summary, we don't mean to rant, but just a heads up... when you buy from 4WP, do NOT involve the website/national office... go straight to your local store, make a solid plan on how you're going to pick it up and load it, and follow-up, follow-up, follow-up!!

As for Smittybilt... as we were assembling our trailer, about 2/3rds into the day we realized they had sent us TWO left hub assemblies, and zero right ones. Ha!! Well just as in dancing, two left feet don't get you very far. That was about 20 days ago. Well, after being in contact via email and phone with about 4 different people, they say they are "in discussions with the vendor" to locate a right-hand hub assembly. We keep pinging them a couple times a week, but they stopped responding. We understand things take time, in our brave new Covid world, but we don't see the justification for lack of communication.

On the bright side... when we assembled the trailer, we found that at least half of the locks on the door latches were faulty, in that the little springs had fallen out. We asked Smittybilt about this, and to their credit they promptly shipped out a complete set of new latch/locks, and much to our delight they had put in a little weld on all the locks to prevent the springs falling out! Super cool!

Btw we had another confusing glitch... the bump stops for the springs were poorly designed in that we couldn't get a 16mm socket into and OUT of the center part to install the bolts. The center was too narrow, so any socket/extension setup would get stuck. Super annoying! All we could do was laugh, and ended up sacrificing two 16mm sockets that may or may not fall out some day.

So we are in limbo, and await the fate of our beautiful new trailer, since at this time we don't even have an ETA for our hub.

Hopefully we will update when there's good news! Cheers and Happy Holidays to all!!

Hello all! Wanted to give a quick update in case it's useful to anyone going through the process of ordering, receiving, assembling and registering one of these trailers, particularly in Washington State.

I want to preface the below by saying: we are still overall extremely happy and excited to get out in our new Scout! We feel so fortunate to be able to fulfill this dream of ours!

But boy it's been a saga.

The good part: registration was super easy, surprisingly! (Thanks The Wolf 1 for offering your tips) We had hoped but didn't know for sure that it would come with a VIN/MCO. But it did! and therefore was a trivial matter to go to the licensing office here in WA state and give them our VIN/MCO certificate and invoice from 4WP. Yay!! Big relief.

The rest has been a frustrating process, caused in equal measure by 4 Wheel Parts and by Smittybilt. We have kept up a relatively good cheer about it though, I guess Covid has made us all hopefully more tolerant and patient! 4WP was a total mess to deal with. It feels like they hardly want to take your $8k. The short version: it took talking with about 8 different people at the national number plus 2 local stores, to sort out our order, track it properly, and come up with a feasible plan to pick it up, since one of the stores claimed they don't even have a forklift. All throughout, communication was horrible, and only dogged persistence on our part prevented our trailer being shipped to Timbuktu or some such. On top of that, when our friend with the big box truck went to pick it up, 4WP forgot to give him the wheels/tires plus a bunch of the other parts. It was a comedy of errors. Not that we didn't meet some very nice and helpful people at the store, but many of them were reticent and reluctant to be helpful. So in summary, we don't mean to rant, but just a heads up... when you buy from 4WP, do NOT involve the website/national office... go straight to your local store, make a solid plan on how you're going to pick it up and load it, and follow-up, follow-up, follow-up!!

As for Smittybilt... as we were assembling our trailer, about 2/3rds into the day we realized they had sent us TWO left hub assemblies, and zero right ones. Ha!! Well just as in dancing, two left feet don't get you very far. That was about 20 days ago. Well, after being in contact via email and phone with about 4 different people, they say they are "in discussions with the vendor" to locate a right-hand hub assembly. We keep pinging them a couple times a week, but they stopped responding. We understand things take time, in our brave new Covid world, but we don't see the justification for lack of communication.

On the bright side... when we assembled the trailer, we found that at least half of the locks on the door latches were faulty, in that the little springs had fallen out. We asked Smittybilt about this, and to their credit they promptly shipped out a complete set of new latch/locks, and much to our delight they had put in a little weld on all the locks to prevent the springs falling out! Super cool!

Btw we had another confusing glitch... the bump stops for the springs were poorly designed in that we couldn't get a 16mm socket into and OUT of the center part to install the bolts. The center was too narrow, so any socket/extension setup would get stuck. Super annoying! All we could do was laugh, and ended up sacrificing two 16mm sockets that may or may not fall out some day.

So we are in limbo, and await the fate of our beautiful new trailer, since at this time we don't even have an ETA for our hub.

Hopefully we will update when there's good news! Cheers and Happy Holidays to all!!
Hi, I'm glad that you are keeping a good cheer. When I got my trailer it was deliver to my house so I didn't have none of those shipping issues. All of the items were in the package, but I must tell you I was hoping and praying that nothing would be missing as I to wait for items to complete a project once I get started. It took my friend and I almost all day to put it together we took our time to make sure every bolt got loctite. We did have avbit of a hard time with the bump stops but were able to get the sockets out. The first mod I did and I recommend this you do is to install the tongue boxes from harbor freight, they truly change the look and feel of the trailer. Here is the link to them....Happy New Year to all and lets keep this tread going so other may benefit as we have from it. Thank You.

2-3/4 cu. ft. Steel Trailer Tongue Box 62253 alternate photo #1

2-3/4 cu. ft. Steel Trailer Tongue Box 62253 alternate photo #1

2-3/4 cu. ft. Steel Trailer Tongue Box 62253 alternate photo #2

HAUL-MASTER
2-3/4 Cu. Ft. Steel Trailer Tongue Box

Easily install to your trailer tongue or truck bed to store tools and tie-downs in this durable, weather resistant trailer box.
$144.99

Attachments

• 20211101_202826.jpg
    20211101_202826.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
  • 20211101_202854.jpg
    20211101_202854.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 117
  • 20211101_202921.jpg
    20211101_202921.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

raindogadv

greetings all and thank you for this amazing thread. i recently picked up a scout trailer and we just did our first shakedown run out to ocotillo wells. I have what is probably a stupid question but here goes.. I have my ikamper mounted on the tent rack but since the support struts mount to the trailer with just the linchpins there is some play front to back which obviously allows the tent to rock back and forth a bit when you move around. is there a simple solution for this you all are using or should i just be wedging something in that space to take up the slack? thank you in advance .

el jefè in CA

greetings all and thank you for this amazing thread. i recently picked up a scout trailer and we just did our first shakedown run out to ocotillo wells. I have what is probably a stupid question but here goes.. I have my ikamper mounted on the tent rack but since the support struts mount to the trailer with just the linchpins there is some play front to back which obviously allows the tent to rock back and forth a bit when you move around. is there a simple solution for this you all are using or should i just be wedging something in that space to take up the slack? thank you in advance .

Hi, I have a Roam XL tent on my Scout, and yes the tent can move a bit, but I've never noticed it while in the tent. The only times I really noticed is when I stand next to the Scout and shake the whole setup :p

How was Ocotillo? Been there a few times and keep planning to go back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles