Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Nick52

Newbee here, Purchased mine a month ago to set up as a supply trailer for my Sportsmobile.
Add me to the list of interested on the bumper mod from Dirtworx

BuckinghamBuilt

I'm considering buying the kit that including wheels/tires but for those that purchased this kit were you able to have it shipped directly to your home or did you have to ship to a nearby freight company and pick it up?

mmrocek

Observer
They backed their semi truck into my neighborhood and dropped it in front of my house. I was at home of course. Also make sure you have enough room around it for assembly - see curb jack photo. :-D Everything is very well labeled. wheels and tires came at the same time and were rolled into the garage. Hope this helps.

IMG_1881.JPEG IMG_1882.JPEG IMG_1884.JPEG IMG_1885.JPEG IMG_1888.jpeg IMG_1897.JPEG IMG_1898.JPEG IMG_1899.JPEG IMG_1909.jpeg IMG_1912.JPEG

McDowra

Observer
I'm considering buying the kit that including wheels/tires but for those that purchased this kit were you able to have it shipped directly to your home or did you have to ship to a nearby freight company and pick it up?
I had it shipped to work so I could use fork lift to get it off truck.

BuckinghamBuilt

They backed their semi truck into my neighborhood and dropped it in front of my house. I was at home of course. Also make sure you have enough room around it for assembly - see curb jack photo. :-D Everything is very well labeled. wheels and tires came at the same time and were rolled into the garage. Hope this helps.

View attachment 671949 View attachment 671950 View attachment 671951 View attachment 671952 View attachment 671953 View attachment 671954 View attachment 671955 View attachment 671956 View attachment 671958 View attachment 671959

Awesome pics. A few places I check don't see I cannot ship to home. I'm on a tight dead end street but have had some freight deliveries and they have pulled up in a semi on the main street and use a pallet jack to get it into my garage :)

TxFireman

For almost $9K I’m having a bunch of little issues with my trailer. I haven’t even brought it on the trail yet. The springs in my silver T-handle locks came out. The tongue box lock can’t be locked since there is too much play and you can wiggle it open (even when it’s locked). I got a replacement for the tongue box lock but same issue. Too much play and won’t secure.

I even had to add spacers to the drawer lock so it would function.

Have any of you had the same issues? Did SB help or did you have to find your own solution? Fabrication? If you buy a Honda Civic, the dealer generally doesn’t say 2 out of 4 door locks isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the ideas on everyone’s build. There’s a ton of info here.

2d9331be19c3873c3409dfb99d4f5d15.jpg
locked position

853e605833b19700d921dfc6ddbd5a58.jpg
upright locked position
9e237369c69a7d5fe1f30cb4588b8df3.jpg
drawer spacer
161396f37689b1b9527c185383553387.jpg
locked position with lots of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the lid side of the box there is a small plate that is held by a screw. Mine would not allow the plate to be adjusted far enough up to make a tight latch (due to the curved bottom). So, I took the plate off and moved it to the other side of its mount and screwed it in from the opposite side. This allowed me to move the plate far enough up to get a more positive latch on the handle. I then had to adjust the handle catch out farther so it could now make up the difference on the lid plate being on the opposite side of its mount. Hope that makes sense and it will likely make more sense if your looking at the setup. I too was having a lot of play with the original setup. Now I have to use one arm to slightly compress the lid/gasket while latching it. But it has 0 play now and is latched down good and tight. I also threw a piece of duct tape over the holes in the tongue box to keep water out. There are some extra holes in the bottom if you lift up the carpet, and i had water seep in under the box and start to soak into the carpet. I suspect they are the makers original mounting holes, and smittybilt drilled new ones for the trailer mounting. So far the duct tape has worked well and I have as of yet to make a better solution.

Catalanbull

I was just thinking how many of you would be interested if I could get dirtworks to sell a more complete bumper just for our trailers? I can see if he could match my modifications during the build process and sell it with the mounts on it. You would still have to Weld two tabs on the trailer in theory for extra support. I just don't want to bug him if there's only a couple people
I'm impatiently waiting for this :)

Any news?

Garrett77

I'm impatiently waiting for this :)

Any news?

Yep he has been busy but is going to focus on this the next couple weeks. He should be coming by this week to go over how to modify it for you guys using mine as an example. Hopefully you guys can order soon. He said he had a ton of requests so good work on hitting him up. He for sure wants to do it just been busy. I'll let you guys know after I meet with him. I'm in the process of moving to the east coast so I'm busy as well. But I have been in contact with him since you guys responded you'd be interested.

Nick52

Ended up having a SoCal fabricator build me a bumper to my specs, a bit of all the great ideas I saw here.

Attachments

• B780BC0A-7733-4E7C-A701-6A5E7C85C22B.jpeg
    B780BC0A-7733-4E7C-A701-6A5E7C85C22B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 137
  • B6639790-1076-4836-89F2-4627B3A1B84D.jpeg
    B6639790-1076-4836-89F2-4627B3A1B84D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 135
  • 1D7A01F8-02FC-4911-A8C3-741681CA7A06.jpeg
    1D7A01F8-02FC-4911-A8C3-741681CA7A06.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133

Nick52

looks good except is that jack in the way of the arm closing or is it just the angle of the photo.
It’s the angle, there is .250” clearance that do seem a bit too close. will be looking at adjusting that as I add a mod for the stand holders to fit into the back of the tire carrier.

Catalanbull

I got two Lock 'n Roll hitches, a regular size and an extended one that allows me to open the rear door. The extended one is about 8 inches longer, I prefer it and I don't think it should affect the weight distribution of the trailer. I don't want to be wrong, does anyone think it's too long for the trailer?

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Catalanbull

To answer to my own question, seems to me like a longer hitch should help reduce the tongue weight. 8 inches won't do much and I'm not looking into reducing tongue weight with a hitch, but it seems like a longer hitch is a better option all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles