Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ThePlaid

Hi fellow Scout enthusiasts - We picked up our Scout in March this year and have been outfitting it over the past few months. I've been following this thread for the past 18 months or so, and have read it in its entirety several times (and even refer back to specific posts for ideas).

Question for those who have installed the ARK X0750 - how did you modify the mounting plate to fit on the Scout? I checked out ebrabaek's high res photos back on post #1895, but can't seem to figure out where to drill holes - on the XO plate itself, or on the plate welded to the tongue?

Any advice appreciated. And thanks to everyone for all the great contributions to this thread. This is an amazing archive of Scout knowledge.

Garrett77

Hi fellow Scout enthusiasts - We picked up our Scout in March this year and have been outfitting it over the past few months. I've been following this thread for the past 18 months or so, and have read it in its entirety several times (and even refer back to specific posts for ideas).

Question for those who have installed the ARK X0750 - how did you modify the mounting plate to fit on the Scout? I checked out ebrabaek's high res photos back on post #1895, but can't seem to figure out where to drill holes - on the XO plate itself, or on the plate welded to the tongue?

Any advice appreciated. And thanks to everyone for all the great contributions to this thread. This is an amazing archive of Scout knowledge.

I pulled the stock jack off and used it as a template to drill the mounting plate of the ARK jack. I wondered also until I took it off then it made sense. Pull the stock one off and you will see how it can be used as a template. I can send you pics tomorrow. To Dark now to see a black trailer lol

ThePlaid

I pulled the stock jack off and used it as a template to drill the mounting plate of the ARK jack. I wondered also until I took it off then it made sense. Pull the stock one off and you will see how it can be used as a template. I can send you pics tomorrow. To Dark now to see a black trailer lol

Awesome advice! I’ll give that a try. Many thanks for the pro tip!

ebrabaek

Adventurer

I drilled two new holes in the SB bracket.
If memory serves me correct then I overlayd the ark bracket and two holes lined up and I just drilled two new ones in the SB bracket.

McDowra

Observer
For almost $9K I’m having a bunch of little issues with my trailer. I haven’t even brought it on the trail yet. The springs in my silver T-handle locks came out. The tongue box lock can’t be locked since there is too much play and you can wiggle it open (even when it’s locked). I got a replacement for the tongue box lock but same issue. Too much play and won’t secure.

I even had to add spacers to the drawer lock so it would function.

Have any of you had the same issues? Did SB help or did you have to find your own solution? Fabrication? If you buy a Honda Civic, the dealer generally doesn’t say 2 out of 4 door locks isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the ideas on everyone’s build. There’s a ton of info here.

2d9331be19c3873c3409dfb99d4f5d15.jpg
locked position

853e605833b19700d921dfc6ddbd5a58.jpg
upright locked position
9e237369c69a7d5fe1f30cb4588b8df3.jpg
drawer spacer
161396f37689b1b9527c185383553387.jpg
locked position with lots of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I adjusted a couple of the locks to make them tighter. I'll look and see what my front box lock looks like tonight

ThePlaid

I drilled two new holes in the SB bracket.
If memory serves me correct then I overlayd the ark bracket and two holes lined up and I just drilled two new ones in the SB bracket.

Thanks for the tip, ebrabaek! I'll give that a go. You really pioneered some great mods on your Scout. Hope you're enjoying your new rig as much!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip, ebrabaek! I'll give that a go. You really pioneered some great mods on your Scout. Hope you're enjoying your new rig as much!

Thanks.
It really was a joy and was it not because our two girls were now 15 and 23 and there were no room in the RTT I would have never sold it.
Then new rig is featured on my you tube channel and is nothing special but we are enjoying it.
The smitty experience did how ever propel plans for an all composite camper build as soon as funds are available.

jojackc

For almost $9K I’m having a bunch of little issues with my trailer. I haven’t even brought it on the trail yet. The springs in my silver T-handle locks came out. The tongue box lock can’t be locked since there is too much play and you can wiggle it open (even when it’s locked). I got a replacement for the tongue box lock but same issue. Too much play and won’t secure.

I even had to add spacers to the drawer lock so it would function.

Have any of you had the same issues? Did SB help or did you have to find your own solution? Fabrication? If you buy a Honda Civic, the dealer generally doesn’t say 2 out of 4 door locks isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the ideas on everyone’s build. There’s a ton of info here.

2d9331be19c3873c3409dfb99d4f5d15.jpg
locked position

853e605833b19700d921dfc6ddbd5a58.jpg
upright locked position
9e237369c69a7d5fe1f30cb4588b8df3.jpg
drawer spacer
161396f37689b1b9527c185383553387.jpg
locked position with lots of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my tongue box. If you look at the lid side there is a screw that holds the latch into position. You can try adjusting that to get it to latch. I did have to add another screw to it to keep if from moving out of place.

Pau Hana

Had a kinda fun couple 2 days. I was contacted by a production company looking for a trailer to use for a truck commercial. Spent two days on the set with cool people, pro mountain bikes, pro surfers, and pro kite surfers (for the background of the shots). The trailer was towed by a precision driver who never got over 15mph. Haha. They couldn't get the mountain bikes in the truck with the tailgate up (trailer tongue woulda smashed their truck on the tight turns they were driving) so I suggested a bike carrier on The Scout. Turned out looking pretty sick. They wouldn't give me the bikes after the shoot, I tried.
Here are some pics of trailer prep, the bike rack and the trailer on set.
tempImageh0svx8.pngtempImage8vWBxF.pngtempImageBtH7jt.pngtempImageWh4GYp.png

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Had a kinda fun couple 2 days. I was contacted by a production company looking for a trailer to use for a truck commercial. Spent two days on the set with cool people, pro mountain bikes, pro surfers, and pro kite surfers (for the background of the shots). The trailer was towed by a precision driver who never got over 15mph. Haha. They couldn't get the mountain bikes in the truck with the tailgate up (trailer tongue woulda smashed their truck on the tight turns they were driving) so I suggested a bike carrier on The Scout. Turned out looking pretty sick. They wouldn't give me the bikes after the shoot, I tried.
Here are some pics of trailer prep, the bike rack and the trailer on set.
View attachment 669572View attachment 669573View attachment 669574View attachment 669575
That's very cool.

robepa

has anyone put in heavier duty and or better quality slides in the back? One of mine failed this last weekend and the other is having issues.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
One of my slides broke and I’m still trying to get one hat works. First were wrong length, second set didn’t line up with the holes, third lines up locks shut but won’t lock in the open. Is the main box drivers side but had to go so here I am
56292ab6e78c6a94eddcf15a419ea6b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier