Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Flatland_XJ

Finally figured out a more permanent solution for power.

105ah lifepo4 custom battery in the tongue box (orange toolbox, so I can move it between vehicles)

Battery box connects via anderson connector to a fuse box inside the genny compartment. Next step is some switches and lights. What have you all done for permanently mounted lights?

cf0f53a975fcc98e917f3599815527ab.jpg

36c73b860dbbb3f357b35b7716858254.jpg

a3a6d0137a1be79d4f741846fa7b2fe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have led strips in the mounting rails for the tent. Also installed rock light underneath the trailer and lights in each cabinet. I mounted tongue boxes over both fenders, one for power the other for additional storage

trae

Adventurer
I have led strips in the mounting rails for the tent. Also installed rock light underneath the trailer and lights in each cabinet. I mounted tongue boxes over both fenders, one for power the other for additional storage

Any pictures of your tongue boxes?

Silverback07

Adventurer
I did. I took the hub assembly into a local trailer place and they had nothing to match up to it that included an integral brake. But they manufactured HD trailers, and didn't have a lot of hub parts that small. I just put adapters on it and called it good.

mmrocek

Observer
Went up to northern AZ (Sedona) to do the annual Broken Arrow, Soldiers Pass and Schnebly Hill trails day. Here are some photos of my trailer setup. The yellow top storage box is where my ARB Elements fridge usually sits, but a friend is using it right now. Am I the only one that never uses the trailer stabilization jacks?

IMG_0022.JPEG

IMG_0043.JPEG

IMG_0046.JPEG

jojackc

I use my rear jacks all the time. I can never find level land to park on where I camp lol. So I use them to level the trailer out so I'm not sliding out of bed in the middle of the night.

robepa

I use my rear jacks all the time. I can never find level land to park on where I camp lol. So I use them to level the trailer out so I'm not sliding out of bed in the middle of the night.
I use mine almost every trip, I added a bar to mount a mud flap and a different jack as well so I don't have to use the adapter piece. this makes it more stable as well. I added on on the front opposite the jockey wheel, with this setup I can level and stabilize the trailer on almost any ground or change a tire.
1620665303169.png1620665876236.png

Last edited:

Catalanbull

Has anyone out there reinforced the tent rack on their trailer? I am thinking of putting some cross members between the two rack bars to square them up and add some stability. I thought I had seen a mod someone did on here, but can't find it in the thread!

I am considering picking up the CVT Denali Hybrid RTT. It's a pretty big footprint and one of the largest on the market, and I'm worried it might need some extra support. Bonus if anyone has thoughts on the CVT Denali Hybrid tent vs. the Gen 2 Smittybilt Overlander XL. Have narrowed it down to one of those two options. I had the early model of the GEN 1 Overlander XL from Smittybilt and it wasn't great quality. started falling apart on me and had to jimmy rig several repairs. Finally sold it and am getting something new, but the low price of the Smittybilt is still tempting me.
Have you made a move with the CVT Denali Hybrid? I'm looking at the regular one, not the Hybrid, but the Denali too. My second option is the Tepui Autana. I like them both because the annex seems like it can be used as an extra room and on top there's a ton of room. Anyone has experience with either?

Pau Hana

Have you made a move with the CVT Denali Hybrid? I'm looking at the regular one, not the Hybrid, but the Denali too. My second option is the Tepui Autana. I like them both because the annex seems like it can be used as an extra room and on top there's a ton of room. Anyone has experience with either?

We have an Autana 3. It's perfect for two but will sleep 3. That's without the annex. With the annex on my wife and I will sleep up top and our 12 year old son sleeps down below in the annex on a full size cot placed behind the ladder. Plenty of space and the cot doesn't interfere with going up and down the ladder. We have two dogs that sleep down in the annex area too and still have plenty of room.

Catalanbull

We have an Autana 3. It's perfect for two but will sleep 3. That's without the annex. With the annex on my wife and I will sleep up top and our 12 year old son sleeps down below in the annex on a full size cot placed behind the ladder. Plenty of space and the cot doesn't interfere with going up and down the ladder. We have two dogs that sleep down in the annex area too and still have plenty of room.
How does it sit on the Scout? How long does it take to set it up/set down (including the awning)?
Thanks!

trae

Adventurer

Same. If you’re sleeping on top you gotta use em. I usually use one flat jack on the front and one in the back rather than using the wheel.

There’s a company that sells the mounts for the jacks to go on the front wall of the trailer. Thinking of picking them up this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverback07

Adventurer
I mounted my jacks to the tent support by welding on some jack mounts from etrailer. Up out of the way, not going to drag on anything. Doesn't weigh enough that I am concerned about impacting the COG.

IMG_4321 (Large).jpg

Pau Hana

How does it sit on the Scout? How long does it take to set it up/set down (including the awning)?
Thanks!

We love it. The Autana sits well and looks like it was made for the trailer. IMHO. We have an Ayer 2 on a smaller trailer and it would be way too small on the Scout.

We have the Habitat Off Road strut kit to lift the tent to full set up height after traveling. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to raise and secure it by myself. Then its as simple as opening up the tent and placing the awning rods. The annex takes about 10 minutes to zip on but I take my time and it probably could be done in 5. Never timed it.

Tried to upload pics but was having trouble resizing. I'll try to figure it out and post some.

Catalanbull

I figured it out. Both pictures show the crossbars raised to full height. We lower it for traveling. In the night pic you can see the shadow where the cot sits and how the annex deploys perfectly at the raised height.View attachment 660825View attachment 660826
Wow that tent looks amazing, and as you say, it really looks made for the Scout. I ended up getting the CVT Hybrid Rainier with the extended fly. I spoke with CVT and gave them dimensions of the scout and they thought the Denali would be too big, but that the Rainier would be perfect. It'll get me some time to get a buddy with enough muscles to help me mount it on the trailer, but when I do I'll post pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles