Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Left hand tray slide of main box sheared it’s latch lock nub.
ff888f88eee0f633ae89dd8687f62a55.jpg
66dbf388b6739dd1d277b8b5cb8d0c7d.jpg

I have a call into customer support I’m careful not to overload those trays and I get downright medieval whenever my kids start leaning on stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KPT4R

So made an upgrade to the trailer today. Found out that ARK makes another offroad jack that is higher then the other ones I have seen on here. Its max height is 32.5inches which works great with my truck and trailer set up. I am running 35" tires on both. This model has the tires straight down instead of to the back and the tires are bigger. Its quite a bit more money but has some cool features like a ratcheting moving setup. Model number ARK XO500R if anyone is interested.

View attachment 642041
THis looks much better than the stock jack. I've been looking for an upgrade. Considered the Trailer Valet 5x so i can easily wheel it into a storage spot in my yard that isn't possible to back into. The Trailer Valet 5x is awesome, but the bolt pattern doesnt fit the mounting plate, and it is very heavy. Does this work well for moving the trailer around? How about weight, is it reasonably comparable to the stock jack?

Also, does the bolt pattern on this match the welded mount plate on the trailer? Or did you have to do anything to be able to mount it up?

KPT4R

Has anyone out there reinforced the tent rack on their trailer? I am thinking of putting some cross members between the two rack bars to square them up and add some stability. I thought I had seen a mod someone did on here, but can't find it in the thread!

I am considering picking up the CVT Denali Hybrid RTT. It's a pretty big footprint and one of the largest on the market, and I'm worried it might need some extra support. Bonus if anyone has thoughts on the CVT Denali Hybrid tent vs. the Gen 2 Smittybilt Overlander XL. Have narrowed it down to one of those two options. I had the early model of the GEN 1 Overlander XL from Smittybilt and it wasn't great quality. started falling apart on me and had to jimmy rig several repairs. Finally sold it and am getting something new, but the low price of the Smittybilt is still tempting me.

trae

Adventurer
Has anyone out there reinforced the tent rack on their trailer? I am thinking of putting some cross members between the two rack bars to square them up and add some stability. I thought I had seen a mod someone did on here, but can't find it in the thread!

I am considering picking up the CVT Denali Hybrid RTT. It's a pretty big footprint and one of the largest on the market, and I'm worried it might need some extra support. Bonus if anyone has thoughts on the CVT Denali Hybrid tent vs. the Gen 2 Smittybilt Overlander XL. Have narrowed it down to one of those two options. I had the early model of the GEN 1 Overlander XL from Smittybilt and it wasn't great quality. started falling apart on me and had to jimmy rig several repairs. Finally sold it and am getting something new, but the low price of the Smittybilt is still tempting me.

We have the 4 person OVS tent, which is a clone? same factory? as Smittybilt XL and it's been doing just fine on stock rails. The overhang on either side was concerning to me initially, but there have been no issues so far. Some folks have reinforced their roof racks earlier in this thread, you'd have to go back pretty far.

jojackc

THis looks much better than the stock jack. I've been looking for an upgrade. Considered the Trailer Valet 5x so i can easily wheel it into a storage spot in my yard that isn't possible to back into. The Trailer Valet 5x is awesome, but the bolt pattern doesnt fit the mounting plate, and it is very heavy. Does this work well for moving the trailer around? How about weight, is it reasonably comparable to the stock jack?

Also, does the bolt pattern on this match the welded mount plate on the trailer? Or did you have to do anything to be able to mount it up?

I did have to modify the new unit to get it to match up with the mounting plate. It wasn't more then drilling out four holes and then using a jig saw to cut the metal in-between the original holes and the new ones. It is way heavier then the original jack the shipping label says 63lbs. The ratcheting works pretty good to move the trailer around, its just kinda slow.

jojackc

If you didn't like the quality of the Gen 1 I wouldn't buy the Gen 2 the quality is gonna be close to the same. Just a new design. That said also remember you can buy two of the new Smittys for the price of one CVT.

ebrabaek

Adventurer

I modded mine with extra 2 inch members.
The build is embedded in here.
If you search under my username it might pop up faster.
I had a tepui kuggeneim xl ruggedized so it was heavy and in need of a more spread out foot print.

trae

Adventurer
Wow that's beautiful setup @Wynn . What's the story with that little window in the genny compartment?

Here's my setup. Renogy 100 watt portable, with a homemade 1250Wh LIFePo4 battery in the tongue box:

1616018730331.png

Wynn

Wanderer
Wow that's beautiful setup @Wynn . What's the story with that little window in the genny compartment?

Here's my setup. Renogy 100 watt portable, with a homemade 1250Wh LIFePo4 battery in the tongue box:

View attachment 648743

Great shot! It was to cover switches and outlets but now just a quick access hatch to the battery compartment and charge point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles