Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Hey guys,

Pretty sure I just digested 184 pages of this amazing thread, but wanted to see if I could get any feedback on pulling a Scout with a 2 door jk. Right now I have everything in the JK, with a RTT and I am trying to assess moving to a trailer to get that high weight off the jeep and regain interior space- rooms for dog, etc.

Love what you guys have been doing to this little workhorse and want to jump in, as long as I can haul it!

Ian

It depends on your gear ratio. The 3.21 gears is 1,000 pounds, so I would not tow with it. The 3.73 and 4.10 gears are 2,000 pounds. That is also if you have the factory tow upgrades. I would be ok with towing it with the 2000lbs gear ratios as long as you are careful on how you loaded it and how much stuff you bring. The max GVWR of the trailer is 3306 with the dry curb weight of 1543. So it limits how much stuff you can load into the trailer.

trae

Adventurer
Didn't realize 2 door JK has such a low payload. Is it because of it's short wheel base?

The scout is quite heavy for it's size so I'd err on the side of caution. Looks lik JK has a max tongue weight of 200lb? Scout is quite a bit heavier than that too.

WandererLX570

I've gotten the light mounts, jack mounts, and cargo rack from Habitat... everything has been top quality. Super great communication and company to order from. I would get the water tank but I have the older model Scout so I'll be modding it up myself with a couple tanks underneath. I'd love to just buy a bolt on system though. I had seen someone either on here or on Instagram that got the water thank and was raving about how awesome it is.

How do you get in touch with them? I've called, emailed, Facebook messaged, FB commented and I can't get a response at all. I was beginning to think they went out of biz.

Superpanga

It depends on your gear ratio. The 3.21 gears is 1,000 pounds, so I would not tow with it. The 3.73 and 4.10 gears are 2,000 pounds. That is also if you have the factory tow upgrades. I would be ok with towing it with the 2000lbs gear ratios as long as you are careful on how you loaded it and how much stuff you bring. The max GVWR of the trailer is 3306 with the dry curb weight of 1543. So it limits how much stuff you can load into the trailer.

Thanks! I have 3.73 / 2k limit, had hoped the dry weight would be a little lighter. The limit on the 2door is rough. I might give a look at the venture xv3. It is all aluminum and dry weight is about 900lbs. I do love seeing what is happening with these Scouts though!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

I don’t believe those “towing upgrades” are available for the 2-door. The restriction on weight is more about the wheelbase.

mmrocek

Observer
Special thanks to Midnightsun and Drifta for inspiring this kitchen build. I was gifted the Blackstone 22" griddle and though it took some doing, got it to fit. Also added LED lights, USB, and outlet.View attachment 638081

Well done on the kitchen, just one question. Are you not worried about the flames/heat from the stove/griddle hitting the wood on each side? I think I would attach a piece of aluminum on the side of the wood. just a thought. Looks great and functional though!

jojackc

So made an upgrade to the trailer today. Found out that ARK makes another offroad jack that is higher then the other ones I have seen on here. Its max height is 32.5inches which works great with my truck and trailer set up. I am running 35" tires on both. This model has the tires straight down instead of to the back and the tires are bigger. Its quite a bit more money but has some cool features like a ratcheting moving setup. Model number ARK XO500R if anyone is interested.

20210212_102640.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
Thanks for the headsup. I bent the factory jack. Not on 35's but 34's and I was having no luck finding something to work. Thanks again.

Oh, where did you buy it?

Wynn

Wanderer
Well done on the kitchen, just one question. Are you not worried about the flames/heat from the stove/griddle hitting the wood on each side? I think I would attach a piece of aluminum on the side of the wood. just a thought. Looks great and functional though!
That's a good point. I'll see how it does on the next outing and will install a thermal break if needed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles