Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

Have any of you guys or gals purchased the Habitat Off Road On Board Water System? Didn't get any response the last time I asked so maybe no-one had purchased or received theirs yet. Just curious if anyone had any experience with or thoughts about the system?
I would buy it if I could but I own the old style trailer where the front end might fall off. So it won't work with my trailer, make sure you have the new version or it won't work.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
How are you guys measuring tongue weight?

I’m trying to buy some new springs for my xterra to compensate for the insane tongue weight . My spare tires already on the back and the front space has light items in the box. Fridge and batteries are in the back right tray and the tent is as back and centered as I can make it. I will have 10 gal water and ten gal gas in tanks in the tire rack.

I’ve seen 350-400 lbs mentioned in the thread with a few outliers higher and one carbon fiber aficionado I believe under 300.

With the bigger kids us and the dog I was looking at plus 500lb springs to get me back up to level but I know I’m swinging in the dark without numbers.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ebrabaek

Adventurer
How are you guys measuring tongue weight?

I’m trying to buy some new springs for my xterra to compensate for the insane tongue weight . My spare tires already on the back and the front space has light items in the box. Fridge and batteries are in the back right tray and the tent is as back and centered as I can make it. I will have 10 gal water and ten gal gas in tanks in the tire rack.

I’ve seen 350-400 lbs mentioned in the thread with a few outliers higher and one carbon fiber aficionado I believe under 300.

With the bigger kids us and the dog I was looking at plus 500lb springs to get me back up to level but I know I’m swinging in the dark without numbers.

Thanks

To be exact..... :)

Pau Hana

I will probably do my own system that one seems a bit high to me
I agree with the high price comment. However, I am pretty burnt out on project type stuff right now. We are just wrapping up a major remodel and addition to our home. A "bolt-on" project sounds about my speed right now.? I have a water system mounted on the tongue right now but would like something "tucked" down under. This option looks about right to me. But being as I am I don't like to make purchases without some knowledge of what peoples experiences/ thought are about them.
Others in this thread have some pretty awesome undercarriage systems but I am not in a place to take on a fab project right now.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
You specifically are the carbon fiber ninja and I have no hope of even a poor copy of what you have and can do

I will be happy to help, should you one day wanna give it a go.
It is not as hard as it looks but does take a lot of time.

jarrodreno

I agree with the high price comment. However, I am pretty burnt out on project type stuff right now. We are just wrapping up a major remodel and addition to our home. A "bolt-on" project sounds about my speed right now.? I have a water system mounted on the tongue right now but would like something "tucked" down under. This option looks about right to me. But being as I am I don't like to make purchases without some knowledge of what peoples experiences/ thought are about them.
Others in this thread have some pretty awesome undercarriage systems but I am not in a place to take on a fab project right now.

I've gotten the light mounts, jack mounts, and cargo rack from Habitat... everything has been top quality. Super great communication and company to order from. I would get the water tank but I have the older model Scout so I'll be modding it up myself with a couple tanks underneath. I'd love to just buy a bolt on system though. I had seen someone either on here or on Instagram that got the water thank and was raving about how awesome it is.

NMBruce

Adventurer
Just found this thread, I have seen some great stuff so far and it’s making me think about stuff I can do to my home built M416 trailer. I have used my trailer for 6 years now with a “Lock n Roll” hitch, but thinking of going to a Pintle hitch. I am adding a Tuffstuff Alpha RTT and thinking about the rise in center of gravity.
What hitches are you using and why?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Lunnete eye with a combo ball and Pintle hook

I swap the ball in for distance then the lunette eye for the trail. I put a scooter tire in there too to minimize the bang n rattle it works great for me :)

Also does anybody have any more tongue weights to report??

trae

Adventurer
I've travelled some rough forrestry roads, no issues with the trailer. When is it time to upgrade to hitch?

hudsonjt

I wanted to add exterior LED lights to the trailer to light my kitchen and surrounding campsite. Initially I was going to mount spots on the exterior at different points of the trailer, instead, I went with a more flexible approach. I purchased three lightbars, a dimmer switch, and all the wiring to plug into my 12 volt plug (in my panel)
It turned out really great! I spent less than $80, and each light bar has a magnetic back and i can move them around the trailer depending on where I want the light. When i pack up, they stow away so i dont worry about theft or damaging them on the trail. Maybe not ideal for everyone, but this solution works perfectly for me...
Here is a link to the site, spoke to Chris.. he's pretty helpful
https://www.hardkorrlighting.com/
Where did you get the table that sits on the fender?

Superpanga

Hey guys,

Pretty sure I just digested 184 pages of this amazing thread, but wanted to see if I could get any feedback on pulling a Scout with a 2 door jk. Right now I have everything in the JK, with a RTT and I am trying to assess moving to a trailer to get that high weight off the jeep and regain interior space- rooms for dog, etc.

Love what you guys have been doing to this little workhorse and want to jump in, as long as I can haul it!

Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles