Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

thardin68

Hi all, I am trying to plan some things out here in Panama while my trailer is stashed in the USA. Would anybody with a 1st generation scout be willing to take some measurements for me? I was hoping to get a "clear" measurement between the two swing arm suspension connectors. essentially, how much room is in between them?

I am trying to fit a long narrow water tank between the suspension points and I'm wondering if we have 13" to get it through there.

Hi all, I am trying to plan some things out here in Panama while my trailer is stashed in the USA. Would anybody with a 1st generation scout be willing to take some measurements for me? I was hoping to get a "clear" measurement between the two swing arm suspension connectors. essentially, how much room is in between them?

I am trying to fit a long narrow water tank between the suspension points and I'm wondering if we have 13" to get it through there.

are you talking about the plates that the swing arm attaches to? from head of cam bolt to head of cam bolt is 9.095" inner edge of trailing arm is about 11 3/4" apart

id put the water tank a little more rear in the boxed area right behind the hitch.

max coupler is my go to. the lock n roll has had problems. max coupler also makes an extended version which i have found works very well if you need to ad a little length to the tongue.

thardin68

are you talking about the plates that the swing arm attaches to? from head of cam bolt to head of cam bolt is 9.095" inner edge of trailing arm is about 11 3/4" apart

id put the water tank a little more rear in the boxed area right behind the hitch.
Thank you sir. Appreciate it. I agree, toward the rear is better, but I had found a tank that was long and 13" wide I thought maybe would squeeze up through the suspension arms. No go there. I have exhausted the cheaper off the shelf options and will likely build one for the rear of the trailer out of Stainless.

We want 2 tanks actually. I have a Tesla S-type battery and a small electric heater that we will use to recirculate through one tank until desired shower / dishwashing temp is reached (thinking 5 gallons). We will transfer water from a larger tank into that one when desired for hot water. Drinking water will be carried in External tanks mounted to the vehicle.

robepa

I have the Max Coupler, it has been fine but I tire of lining up the pin and getting it thru the Yoke. If you are on flat ground it isn't too bad, but if you end up needing to decouple the trailer to get thru a spot in the trail it can be very difficult to get that pin back in. My wife picked up a 4Runner and rather than buy yoke ($140) I am going to switch over to the Cruise Master DO35 - V3PLUS. It looks like the DO35 is $325 before shipping and the 2nd pin is $60. Generally speaking I have been highly impressed with South African and Australian products, while overlanding is a bit of a recent trend here they have been doing it for much longer.

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
I have the Max Coupler, it has been fine but I tire of lining up the pin and getting it thru the Yoke. If you are on flat ground it isn't too bad, but if you end up needing to decouple the trailer to get thru a spot in the trail it can be very difficult to get that pin back in. My wife picked up a 4Runner and rather than buy yoke ($140) I am going to switch over to the Cruise Master DO35 - V3PLUS. It looks like the DO35 is $325 before shipping and the 2nd pin is $60. Generally speaking I have been highly impressed with South African and Australian products, while overlanding is a bit of a recent trend here they have been doing it for much longer.

I was wondering about how annoying it would be to deal with the small pin for max coupler. Considering going to a pintle setup. Much cheaper, but I'm worried about the offroad noise.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I was wondering about how annoying it would be to deal with the small pin for max coupler. Considering going to a pintle setup. Much cheaper, but I'm worried about the offroad noise.

You get used to it, to me not a big deal, dealing with the thread the needle situation PITA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I've lost a bearing dust cap. Smittybilt tells me I need a cap with an outer diameter of 1.810" but I cannot find one to save my life. Has anyone a suggestion?

Thanks!

McDowra

Observer
Anyone have a link to a water tank that will fit between the suspension with out hanging too low? Maybe a 10-15 gallon model, Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles