Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

trae

Adventurer
How have you routed your wiring? I imagine the battery lives in the tongue box, how do you get the wire out of it and through to the main compartment? Grommets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McDowra

Observer
How have you routed your wiring? I imagine the battery lives in the tongue box, how do you get the wire out of it and through to the main compartment? Grommets?

My batteries are in the box, I came out the bottom and run under trailer to main box

GeoTracker

Mine's in the box as well, I routed out the back with grommets to the main box. Sealed the grommet with Permatex as well.

trae

Adventurer
My batteries are in the box, I came out the bottom and run under trailer to main box

Nice that’s what I was thinking too. Did you just leave the hole or silicone it or something? I’d like to make sure that there’s no water/dirt ingress.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Nice that’s what I was thinking too. Did you just leave the hole or silicone it or something? I’d like to make sure that there’s no water/dirt ingress.

I used either aviation proseal or the permatex ultra black adhesive from any auto store.

McDowra

Observer

I used a grommet and silicone to seal the hole

trae

Adventurer
I thought long and hard about installing an under the frame water tank. It would lover the CG, and be out of the way, thus very conveniant. I would not have mind at all to fab it. The two factors that brought my tank inside the front was:
1: Protection from ground strikes. This trailer is extremely capable to go literally anywhere, and as I fabbed the rear bumper, I was concerned about the jack striking the ground, so I made them so they can turn horrizontal in case you have to forge crazy up and overs. I felt by putting a tank under I would deminish the capability of the unit. Now I, off course, never took the trailer to that potential, but I could have.
2: Cold temp impacts. I do camp and have in the past down to 19 deg F with winds at 60 mph. Yep, I got caught at 10600 feet, but never the less, all water was frozen. There was a foot of snow and ice pelets next morning, and the little generator was running at 15% chugging along to deliver power to my 200 watt ceramic heater in the tent. Gen was about covered with snow but running and exhaust was clear. I did have a 5 gallon water tank in the back of the car and that was not frozen. At that point I determined that if I did a tank install, it had to be enclosed and protected from any of the elements.

I fully understand that this may not happen to anyone and dont at all mean to pick on the design under the belly at all, I just wanted to share what went into my design and thoughts. I did also consider just to pay an aluminum fabricator to build me a box of the same design I ended up with but in aluminium. I reconed that about a grand as in Colorado is very expensive, and the composite box cam in less than that in materials. I simply cannot say enough about the convenience and practicality of having a big roomy box up front. IMHO this is what the aftermarket guys should be offering as a second. The first is the rear tire swing carrier. Once that spare is out of the way, then an aluminum box. Then you can customize it just as you would like.
Now back to the regular scheduled program.... :) Cheers.

I feel the same way. How about getting a flat tank on top instead?

- 4 inches high, 32x19" @ 10 gal https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/324/10-gallon-rectangle-poly-tank-rb323
- 6 inches high, 53x27 @ 35 gallons https://www.recpro.com/35-gallon-rv-water-tank-53-1-2-x-27-x-6-elkhart-plastics-epi-3022/

And there's many inbetween. Any reason not to get a custom pancake tank?

ebrabaek

Adventurer

- 4 inches high, 32x19" @ 10 gal https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/324/10-gallon-rectangle-poly-tank-rb323
- 6 inches high, 53x27 @ 35 gallons https://www.recpro.com/35-gallon-rv-water-tank-53-1-2-x-27-x-6-elkhart-plastics-epi-3022/

No reason not to at all.
It really is what would suit you.
We have been camping g for a long time and knew that for us (family of 4) if we had 5 gallon of RO drinking water and 12 gallon of all purpose water that would keep us for 4 days.
Most of our trips were 2 to 3 days and so we could always just refill the system if the CG had water available.
Kinda like the battery we are minimalists. For us the 35 A/he battery were replenished fine running all systems unless it was an all day with storms.
12 gallons were plenty for us.
No reason you could not stick in a 30 gallon tank if that is what would work with you.
Polypropoline tanks are more resistive to off road bouncing as they flex really well but difficult to successfully weld. So we chose ABS plastic for the easy of that purpose.

jojackc

I would love to have the 35 gallons sitting up top. I have thought about that a lot. But I am not sure Smittybilt wanted 280lbs sitting on top of that thin metal box they made.

Bulwinkle

I've been lurking around for a while and have thought about building my own trailer, I've even started drawing it up in CAD. But I've got a 2 and 4 year old that I want to take camping more and I've decided that it would take me years to complete it. So, I've been eyeing the trailers in the for sale section and trying to sell my Harley to fund a trailer. Then I remembered the Scout trailer and it's got a pretty good price point.

Does anyone have one or had their hands on one? I like that its got the front side doors and pull out drawers vs. the general 416 design with just the rear door/gate. But it looks like the axle is too far back because of this. It seems like it would be hard to get a 60/40 distribution.

Forgive me if there is already a review of one on here, I searched but didn't find any.
I have been working on one for the last year. It is the new model. The fit and parts were better than expected. Just been out fitting with electrical for fridge and solar. It is heavy and rugged. The 270 awing is now on it. I have some other photos if you are interested. Have not taken it our for a full shake down yet. Had plans to go to Moab in March.. and then things changed for everyone. I fabricated the rear bumper and swing. Wanted to get the spare to the back and have some fuel options.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 129

trae

Adventurer
I have been working on one for the last year. It is the new model. The fit and parts were better than expected. Just been out fitting with electrical for fridge and solar. It is heavy and rugged. The 270 awing is now on it. I have some other photos if you are interested. Have not taken it our for a full shake down yet. Had plans to go to Moab in March.. and then things changed for everyone. I fabricated the rear bumper and swing. Wanted to get the spare to the back and have some fuel options.

Nicely done! Any close ups of the bumper?

trae

Adventurer
I would love to have the 35 gallons sitting up top. I have thought about that a lot. But I am not sure Smittybilt wanted 280lbs sitting on top of that thin metal box they made.

If the tank is flat and wide, the pressure will be evenly distributed, no? I'm out of my depth here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles