Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Looks like the weld failed to me. See the second picture I posted above, with the awning hanging down. The awning was mounted using smittybilt brackets:

fcbe26dba5654931b80199653b90706e.jpg

Here’s a tighter crop from above image

60bafd67a0507c4b05a70c8666c13104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang...... That is just incredible. Even with the worst welds in the world, that is simply incredible that it failed with such little stress on it. Prying the metal apart in the prior picture indicates veeeeery soft metal. Now if ya hung a airplane from it, I could understand, but an arb awning..... Not so much. Terrible. I am sure Smitty will send ya a new pair. Was it me, I would just weld one up for a few bucks. I am truly sorry your entrance to this brand and sport have been clouded already.

Kraxler

Moment arm. The heavy awning far out from the upright overloaded the welds. May be bad welds or just over their design. I mounted my awning right at the end of the 90, less moment arm.

trae

Adventurer
Dang...... That is just incredible. Even with the worst welds in the world, that is simply incredible that it failed with such little stress on it. Prying the metal apart in the prior picture indicates veeeeery soft metal. Now if ya hung a airplane from it, I could understand, but an arb awning..... Not so much. Terrible. I am sure Smitty will send ya a new pair. Was it me, I would just weld one up for a few bucks. I am truly sorry your entrance to this brand and sport have been clouded already.
Moment arm. The heavy awning far out from the upright overloaded the welds. May be bad welds or just over their design. I mounted my awning right at the end of the 90, less moment arm.

Well, maybe they designed it for a short awning (~25lb) vs a 270 degrees that's almost 75lb ?‍♂️. In any case, I dont want a replacement, I'd rather go with Kraxler's design.

Had a great time @ Silver Jack CG Colorado this past weekend. This little trailer is simply fantastic. This was however also the camp trip where we have concluded that we need to sell it as my wife is having a hard time getting up the ladder as she need hip surgery. :( :( :(
It have been a great ride and I am proud of what the little Smitty are capable of.

If anyone is interested just pm me. I will put it in the for sale section in a few days.

Dang looks like a fun trip. Will be sad to see you go with all your fine mods and knowledge! Good luck with the sale.

awning mount was designed to be pushed in during travel to prevent leverage on it, also was designed for the smittybilt awnings which are about 1/3 the weight of a fox wing. I have my fox wing bolted directly to the adjustable upright.

Kraxler

Sorry to see you go. Although I’m thinking of selling for the same reasons. Climbing up and down the ladder multiple times at night is getting harder for the wife.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Sorry to see you go. Although I’m thinking of selling for the same reasons. Climbing up and down the ladder multiple times at night is getting harder for the wife.

Yeah..... I am truly heart broken as I love the trailer, but my wife was in tears due to hip pain hopping up and down the ladder. Granted after her operation later this year she will be back and able after a long while, and according to her doc, ladder climbing is not on the approved list after hip replacement right away. It is for that reason, and that alone that we are calling it. It is a fantastic little unit, and someone will be very happy.... :) :)

Pau Hana

In all the RVs I've seen peviously (trailers, tent trailers, etc) electrical lives right next to the pump, due to space constraints. I think you'll be fine ?‍♂️.

Did you build a custom swing out or use a smittybilt jeep swingout like Ebrabaek?

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from a 10 day road trip. First time on the road for the scout.

To answer your question, I built the bumper and used a SB tire carrier. It's a different style tire carrier than Ebrabaek's so there was a little more modification involved. But it worked out perfectly. I was able to adjust the bolts at the pivot end and it opens and closes smoothly now.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
All of the builds on here are looking awesome. Here are a few photos of one of our latest Scouts that went out to California! Upgrades include dual Battle Born Lithium batteries, Redarc Manager 30, Switch-Pro PDM, 24 gallon water tank with pump and level monitor, swing-out tire carrier, Bilstein dampers, interior LED lighting, exterior lighting, awning lighting, rock lights, Batwing awning, swing-out shower curtain and the list goes on. Oh and a sink with hot water! It was a super fun build to do with a lot of custom touches.

Ryan

View attachment 595708 View attachment 595709

View attachment 595710 View attachment 595711

View attachment 595712 View attachment 595713

View attachment 595714

Looks great. Is the tire carrier available as a bolt on and if so how much?

Kraxler

Just saw that the Habitat off road water tank is available for pre order. $999 for he tank with skid plate. You can also get it with pump and faucet.

jojackc

Just saw that the Habitat off road water tank is available for pre order. $999 for he tank with skid plate. You can also get it with pump and faucet.

I was so excited for this. But looking at it, it is only for the updated trailer with the new draw bar design. Which means about 99% of us on here can't use it. We all have the ******** draw bar that's gonna cost us a tow one day.

I was so excited for this. But looking at it, it is only for the updated trailer with the new draw bar design. Which means about 99% of us on here can't use it. We all have the **** draw bar that's gonna cost us a tow one day.
not if you installed your support brackets.

robepa

My concern is the tongue weight on this trailer is already high. Given the location I would estimate 25-50% of the added weight to be on the tongue. Assuming 250 lbs when filled that would increase the tongue weight by 60-125 lbs. Maybe @RyanHeller can give us an answer? Great to see products for the scout.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I thought long and hard about installing an under the frame water tank. It would lover the CG, and be out of the way, thus very conveniant. I would not have mind at all to fab it. The two factors that brought my tank inside the front was:
1: Protection from ground strikes. This trailer is extremely capable to go literally anywhere, and as I fabbed the rear bumper, I was concerned about the jack striking the ground, so I made them so they can turn horrizontal in case you have to forge crazy up and overs. I felt by putting a tank under I would deminish the capability of the unit. Now I, off course, never took the trailer to that potential, but I could have.
2: Cold temp impacts. I do camp and have in the past down to 19 deg F with winds at 60 mph. Yep, I got caught at 10600 feet, but never the less, all water was frozen. There was a foot of snow and ice pelets next morning, and the little generator was running at 15% chugging along to deliver power to my 200 watt ceramic heater in the tent. Gen was about covered with snow but running and exhaust was clear. I did have a 5 gallon water tank in the back of the car and that was not frozen. At that point I determined that if I did a tank install, it had to be enclosed and protected from any of the elements.

I fully understand that this may not happen to anyone and dont at all mean to pick on the design under the belly at all, I just wanted to share what went into my design and thoughts. I did also consider just to pay an aluminum fabricator to build me a box of the same design I ended up with but in aluminium. I reconed that about a grand as in Colorado is very expensive, and the composite box cam in less than that in materials. I simply cannot say enough about the convenience and practicality of having a big roomy box up front. IMHO this is what the aftermarket guys should be offering as a second. The first is the rear tire swing carrier. Once that spare is out of the way, then an aluminum box. Then you can customize it just as you would like.
Now back to the regular scheduled program.... :) Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles