Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Found your solutio (here: Nov 24, 2019 ). Did you have to adjust the length of the tension poles? It looks like your tent may be in line with the awning, my awning is offset a bit higher. Thanks for the ideas.

Bingo. I kept trimming the tent awning poles until they worked. Id say one pole was shortened by 10 inches and one by 8. I think yours is very similar to mine. Better relationship here in my walkaround video. 9:20 in more specifically.

Pau Hana

Yeah..... Smitty have been hot and cold with their customer service. They have always been great with me, but there are several members who have had a hard time. Hopefully they get it sorted for ya shortly. How did the rear swing build go for you?

Swing out/bumper build went well. Thanks for asking and thanks for your help. Minor adjustment to be made at latch end still. Just a touch off and the latch doesn't go cleanly into the keeper. A bit of adjustment and it will work smoothly.

Also got the electrical and water systems in. Hitting the road Monday for a ten day trip. Pretty excited.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Swing out/bumper build went well. Thanks for asking and thanks for your help. Minor adjustment to be made at latch end still. Just a touch off and the latch doesn't go cleanly into the keeper. A bit of adjustment and it will work smoothly.

Also got the electrical and water systems in. Hitting the road Monday for a ten day trip. Pretty excited.

I made a mistake of my own when I welded mine.
I did not count on the weight with the tire on it and it swings in about 1/2 inch below the latch but I just lift it up to engage the latch.

Pau Hana

I made a mistake of my own when I welded mine.
I did not count on the weight with the tire on it and it swings in about 1/2 inch below the latch but I just lift it up to engage the latch.

Yup. My issue is at the top. Pressing down helps...a little. But you gave me an idea. I'll try loosing the tension bolts on the pivot. I have them set pretty tight anyway. I had visions of my kid getting smashed the carrier and the rear compartment.:oops:

trae

Adventurer

What did you do for water? Mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pau Hana

What did you do for water? Mind sharing?

The water system is basically a dumbed down copy of Ebrabaek's set up. This is a temporary set up meant to get us on the road Monday. It is a tongue mounted tank(15 gallon) and pump. The shower is in a pelican box for travel but it hangs by means of two magnets when deployed. I removed the factory shower handle and mounted a length of chain so it fits nicely in the box and hangs evenly and easily wherever.

My plan is to mount the tank(s) under the tongue and/or as far to the rear as possible. The water pump will be in the tongue box where the electrical and battery are located. Basically the tongue box will become a utilities cabinet. Before anyone says it, I am aware water and electronics don't mix. ;) I plan a sealed divider to keep the pump and electrical away from each other in case of hose/ connections failure. I also plan on all the fancy quick connecters for gas and water connections.

trae

Adventurer
The water system is basically a dumbed down copy of Ebrabaek's set up. This is a temporary set up meant to get us on the road Monday. It is a tongue mounted tank(15 gallon) and pump. The shower is in a pelican box for travel but it hangs by means of two magnets when deployed. I removed the factory shower handle and mounted a length of chain so it fits nicely in the box and hangs evenly and easily wherever.

My plan is to mount the tank(s) under the tongue and/or as far to the rear as possible. The water pump will be in the tongue box where the electrical and battery are located. Basically the tongue box will become a utilities cabinet. Before anyone says it, I am aware water and electronics don't mix. ;) I plan a sealed divider to keep the pump and electrical away from each other in case of hose/ connections failure. I also plan on all the fancy quick connecters for gas and water connections.

In all the RVs I've seen peviously (trailers, tent trailers, etc) electrical lives right next to the pump, due to space constraints. I think you'll be fine ?‍♂️.

Did you build a custom swing out or use a smittybilt jeep swingout like Ebrabaek?

Kraxler

Looks like Habitat will be coming out with their water tank solution for the trailer shortly. At least there is a drawing of it and saying that pre orders will be taken soon.

trae

Adventurer
Costco special, a Unique Portables fridge.

It fits nearly perfect into the slide with the plastic feet off. I’m considering cutting the back off the drawer with an angle grinder. Thoughts?

7d3d1bec11a8d28072e58a3f0d8033b4.jpg

a1b919fbba8c48909c061b9090ce72d9.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Costco special, a Unique Portables fridge.

It fits nearly perfect into the slide with the plastic feet off. I’m considering cutting the back off the drawer with an angle grinder. Thoughts?

7d3d1bec11a8d28072e58a3f0d8033b4.jpg

a1b919fbba8c48909c061b9090ce72d9.jpg

You might also try to prop up the unit inside the box. If not, I would most certainly cut the bucket to make it work. That is a very heavy drawer, and you could also consider making one from composites..... :) :) :) :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Had a great time @ Silver Jack CG Colorado this past weekend. This little trailer is simply fantastic. This was however also the camp trip where we have concluded that we need to sell it as my wife is having a hard time getting up the ladder as she need hip surgery. :( :( :(
It have been a great ride and I am proud of what the little Smitty are capable of.

If anyone is interested just pm me. I will put it in the for sale section in a few days.

trae

Adventurer
Little trail booboo. We know the welds are poor at the tongue and now the awning bracket. Where else?

fcc40c1aeed6670af7370d8ddc8672e1.jpg

9487a96db28c7d7a5ac085bd4d0a5fa7.jpg

trae

Adventurer
That thing looks like it was pried apart.
What happened

Looks like the weld failed to me. See the second picture I posted above, with the awning hanging down. The awning was mounted using smittybilt brackets:

fcbe26dba5654931b80199653b90706e.jpg

Here’s a tighter crop from above image

60bafd67a0507c4b05a70c8666c13104.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles