Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

trae

Adventurer
For those of us without a hangar, does anyone have a suggestion for a cover? The pollen here is nuts. My trailer turned green.

Also, how do you all secure the trailer? Standard lock in the trailer tongue?

KPT4R

I want the simple route. I got a strut kit from https://habitatoffroad.com/
It includes 4 struts and all the mounting hardware. The instructions are good also. You need to drill holes for the lower mounting brackets. The rest is bolt on. I have the smittybilt RTT XL with the rhino rack 270 awning. Takes very little effort toe raise or lower.
When you mounted the Rhino Rack 270 Awning, were there any mods or changes you had to make to mount? Or can you mount it to the included awning bracket?

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I have a question for everyone with the ARK XO750 jack. In soft ground, grass or dirt is it easy to move the trailer around with it since the tongue weight is stupid heavy on the trailer? I want to change the jack, but if moving it around is still not possible maybe no need. With the stock jack and pavement or concrete the trailer is easy to move. Thanks

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I have a question for everyone with the ARK XO750 jack. In soft ground, grass or dirt is it easy to move the trailer around with it since the tongue weight is stupid heavy on the trailer? I want to change the jack, but if moving it around is still not possible maybe no need. With the stock jack and pavement or concrete the trailer is easy to move. Thanks

It is very easy in just about all other than deep mud to move the trailer with the XO750.

Kraxler

New Member here. I just bought the Scout Trailer and have it mostly set up ready roll. Been searching this thread for any info on mounting a Water Tank to the bottom side of the trailer. Has anyone found a good solution for that?

Other plans are to add a hot water heater system and electrical system, no experience with automotive electrical so this is going to get interesting!
I mounted 2 10 gal tanks in n the bottom of the trailer underneath the front compartments and a 9 gal between the axels. Plumbed together with an in demand pump mount d above the driver side swing arm. I have one outlet in the stove compartment and will add a second for a shower.

Pau Hana

No worries at all. I will get them for you tomorrow. :)

One more request if I'm not too late. Can you provide the measurement on the bumper from the hinge side of the trailer to the center point of the pivot hole? In other words, it looks like the pivot is past the side of the trailer about 3-4 inches for door opening allowance? Clear as mud?

I cut my bumper to a 66" inch length thinking I would be good or I could trim if needed to fine tune. If yours is about the same length then the measurement from the end of the bumper to center of the pivot hole would work too.

My tire carrier is not as wide as yours and I am probably going to have to add a longer latch extension than yours. But that pivot location will determine the length of the extension needed.
Again, I'm in no rush! Appreciate your willingness to help!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Three questions for you ebrabaek.
1. How long did the bumper end up being? I have a 66" piece of 3"x3" square tubing and am thinking I have more that enough stock to work with.
2. I plan to "notch" the 3" tube to accommodate the receiver extension. This will remove three sides of the tubing while leaving one side that will "rest" on top of the receiver extension. Of course a weld will go all around my cuts for a solid attachment of the bumper to the receiver extension. Did you cut the square tube into two equal pieces and then weld each on the either side of the receiver?
3. How much flat bar (thickness) did you have to add to get the latch to the correct height to match the arm?
Thanks.

62.5 inches wide 3x3 inch bumper.
You can actually cut a square hole front and back and leave top and bottom and then insert the hitch carrier through..... wink wink... :)
There is enough room.
5 inch extension on the swingarm latch.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
One more request if I'm not too late. Can you provide the measurement on the bumper from the hinge side of the trailer to the center point of the pivot hole? In other words, it looks like the pivot is past the side of the trailer about 3-4 inches for door opening allowance? Clear as mud?

I cut my bumper to a 66" inch length thinking I would be good or I could trim if needed to fine tune. If yours is about the same length then the measurement from the end of the bumper to center of the pivot hole would work too.

My tire carrier is not as wide as yours and I am probably going to have to add a longer latch extension than yours. But that pivot location will determine the length of the extension needed.
Again, I'm in no rush! Appreciate your willingness to help!

No worries at all.
3.5 inches. I'd go 4 but I can open my door 140 deg.
Right.... smitty sent me two swing carriers. One was linger than the other by perhaps 7 inches.
I choose the longer one.
If you start welding and mounting the bumper it will be easy to fab and align the rest.
Make sure you fab the bumper low enough to allow for the rear door to open.

Pau Hana

62.5 inches wide 3x3 inch bumper.
You can actually cut a square hole front and back and leave top and bottom and then insert the hitch carrier through..... wink wink... :)
There is enough room.
5 inch extension on the swing are latch.
Hope this helps...

Thank you! Yes thought about having a fabricator cutting a hole for the receiver. That would look great and add straight. I could get a hole close but was concerned about getting the two holes lined up correctly.
I ended up cutting a notch in the tubing to accommodate the receiver. I left one side that will rest on top of the receiver. Worked out well. The rear door clears the bumper but the gasket rubs when passing over the bumper. So I have a bit of material to remove, about 3/16" of an inch for the clearance to be (almost) perfect. It was angle grinder surgery to get the notch cut and I left extra material to remove and get a correct fit without getting into (removing) the metal that will rest on top of the bumper.

I was thinking that looked like 3-4 ". So I had already made my mark at 3.5". I think I'll follow your recommendation and go with 4" Perfect.

Funny about the longer carrier you used. When I lined mine up this morning I was looking at an extension of 12". So with yours being 7" longer and the added 5" extension I am right on track with everything. I truly appreciate your time.

I'll try to post pics of everything later to pay it forward for the next person who does this.

Have a great weekend!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thank you! Yes thought about having a fabricator cutting a hole for the receiver. That would look great and add straight. I could get a hole close but was concerned about getting the two holes lined up correctly.
I ended up cutting a notch in the tubing to accommodate the receiver. I left one side that will rest on top of the receiver. Worked out well. The rear door clears the bumper but the gasket rubs when passing over the bumper. So I have a bit of material to remove, about 3/16" of an inch for the clearance to be (almost) perfect. It was angle grinder surgery to get the notch cut and I left extra material to remove and get a correct fit without getting into (removing) the metal that will rest on top of the bumper.

I was thinking that looked like 3-4 ". So I had already made my mark at 3.5". I think I'll follow your recommendation and go with 4" Perfect.

Funny about the longer carrier you used. When I lined mine up this morning I was looking at an extension of 12". So with yours being 7" longer and the added 5" extension I am right on track with everything. I truly appreciate your time.

I'll try to post pics of everything later to pay it forward for the next person who does this.

Have a great weekend!

That is fantastic. It is a bit of work, but truly a game changer for the little Smitty. You will like the end result. :)

trae

Adventurer
I spent a couple of hours trying to install toungue reinforcements. It looks like I didn't have enough load washer sent:

1589774526868.png

The other thing is my new tent (OVS Nomadic 4) trying to figure out if I need to add aditional bracing for the overhangs.

1589774544262.png

trae

Adventurer
Extra bracing never hurts. I got 4 extra from Smittybuilt so I have a total of 8 holding my XL RTT. So far no sagging issues.

Good to know. How are they attached to the bottom of the tent? I figure I’ll contact ovs to see if they can sell me more of these rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I spent a couple of hours trying to install toungue reinforcements. It looks like I didn't have enough load washer sent:

Call them. I have had nothing but good results with their customer service.

The other thing is my new tent (OVS Nomadic 4) trying to figure out if I need to add aditional bracing for the overhangs

I added 2 pieces of 1" aluminum square tubing from lowes for the overhang of my XL tent. I used self tapper screws into the tent to keep it in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles