Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Crushjkur

It depends on what your needs/wants are. We had ours a little over 2 years and enjoyed it. It's pretty much bare bones so its an open canvas for sleeping arrangements, electrical, water, and what ever else you might want to add. I have a 2012 JKUR on 35's and it handled it ok with the stock gears, not saying a regear wouldn't help it just wasn't necessary for us.

We sold ours because I was getting tired of setting up/taking down the roof top tent with the annex. Most of our trips are 1 or 2 nights and both of our kids are still to little to be much help and need to be watched over so I was having to do everything by myself. Our new trailer isn't near as rugged but setup is 10-20% as long which means more time enjoying camping with the family.

Great thank you for the information we have been camping out of the back of our 2012 JKUR on 35’s for almost 8 years. We have two boys 10, and 14 and a dog. We are just looking for something with an easier set up. We have rented a Teardrop a few times and loved it. But that is not an option at this time. I like the barebones and add what we need aspect of the trailer. We are thinking of doing a road trip for the summer. The Jeep is not big enough for that. So looking for something that will work. Thank you again for replying. What is your new trailer?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Great thank you for the information we have been camping out of the back of our 2012 JKUR on 35’s for almost 8 years. We have two boys 10, and 14 and a dog. We are just looking for something with an easier set up. We have rented a Teardrop a few times and loved it. But that is not an option at this time. I like the barebones and add what we need aspect of the trailer. We are thinking of doing a road trip for the summer. The Jeep is not big enough for that. So looking for something that will work. Thank you again for replying. What is your new trailer?
No problem. With the CVT tent on the Smittybilt it would take me around an hour to get camp all set up and about an hour and a half to tear it all down. We would leave the annex attached to the tent and had quite a bit of stuff that we would fill the annex with once it was set up. If we were doing a quick night I could have it set up for sleeping in under 20 minutes.

We got an Intech Explore. Much faster set up and still tough enough to get to the interior of Big Bend Ranch State Park.

Attachments

• 20200308_191242_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    20200308_191242_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 102

McDowra

Observer
Worked on our trailer kitchen today, going to start working out of the rear now that our new 270 awning covers it. Also added a propane tank just for the kitchen. Really like having the door open to driver’s side 7A902D3F-8525-427A-A258-BEED639C413D.jpeg068507F8-FEE8-4F22-B5C6-D7DBA634FD0D.jpeg911FB2FB-D709-4F99-9F8D-24E91289F11F.jpeg

Pau Hana

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. 13mm ball end struts. 29.5" extended and 85lb lift capacity. The work perfectly to lift a CVT Mt Rainier summit and awning

Thanks for the info Flatland. And for the Amazon links you provided in the following posts. I just now finally got through all 174 pages and have enough information to crush my credit rating. ? I picked up my Scout trailer on Wednesday and am excited to get it put together! Getting it off the flatbed trailer without ramps or a forklift was an experience! Ordered and already received the lift kit from Habitat I'll be looking at mounting options.

trae

Adventurer
Worked on our trailer kitchen today, going to start working out of the rear now that our new 270 awning covers it. Also added a propane tank just for the kitchen. Really like having the door open to driver’s side

What bracket did you use for your propane tank? And what's that big tube? Water tank?

Grak

Has anyone had any sag issues towing? I’ve got a 2 door Jeep JL, and wondering how it well it will hitch up were I to rent one for a few days.

Flatland_XJ

Has anyone had any camber issues with your trailer. Finally got mine fully loaded and now the tires have some negative camber

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Has anyone had any camber issues with your trailer. Finally got mine fully loaded and now the tires have some negative camber

Yes.
I have never been able to get a 0 camber.
2.5 deg negative is what I measured.
Been like this from the beginning.
I dont think Smitty did the geometry correct when they designed it.
Anyway after consulting with a couple of local trailer guys they say anything less than 5 deg. Is no worries.
I may move the stops a bit and re weld it on there sometime to get it back.

Flatland_XJ

I never noticed it having anything until I got it loaded down with gear. I havent checked the angle yet, but its definitely noticeable now. I know that a slight negative camber will help it track better. I found the cam bolts for the adjustment.

And I agree about them not doing the math correctly on this. I've been toying with the idea of removing the suspension entirely and putting in a Timbren system which would also give me room for a large water tank

Kraxler

Has anyone had any sag issues towing? I’ve got a 2 door Jeep JL, and wondering how it well it will hitch up were I to rent one for a few days.
I have a 4 door wrangler. No issue towing. Interstate, dirt trails, no issues. Load properly, keep your distance and be aware of longer stopping distance and you should be fine. Be aware of the max tow weight of the 2door.

McDowra

Observer
What bracket did you use for your propane tank? And what's that big tube? Water tank?
This is the mount I used for the tank 5lb Mount . The big tube holds all the poles for my OZ tent and my 23zero 270 awning and various other things. I may eventually get another one and make a water tank out of it, junk yard let me have it for 20.00 . Here is Kitchen I am working on to have in the corner of the 270 awning. Best thing we have done is reverse the door.Kitchen.jpg

Csteele

So after reading this forum completely twice, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a scout trailer. After several weeks of fighting with shipping, I got the trailer in and built. Now it’s time to start modifying the trailer.

My issue is I’m no electrician and trying to figure out running electric. Right now I do not plan on putting a solar panel. I’ve tried to follow some of the previous post, however I’m making sure I have the correct components.

I picked up the noco genius gen 1, fuse block, master throw switch, lights and water pump for shower. If I plug in for shore power/generator am I going to need a relay to switch from battery power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trae

Adventurer
This is the mount I used for the tank 5lb Mount . The big tube holds all the poles for my OZ tent and my 23zero 270 awning and various other things. I may eventually get another one and make a water tank out of it, junk yard let me have it for 20.00 . Here is Kitchen I am working on to have in the corner of the 270 awning. Best thing we have done is reverse the door.

Thanks for the link. The tank costs $40 canadian, and the bracket to hold it costs $150 canadian. I guess economies of scale? ?‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles