Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

trae

Adventurer
fyi, you can adjust the parameters of the arctic to get better efficiency. They do not advertise it though as its too complicated for most people to understand. ITs pretty decent on eco mode and can be setup to be better if you dont have it constantly being opened. I have one of them next to my ARB, they only hold drinks and run all year, the SB does cycle a little more or maybe i notice it more because its louder. I do have a total of 3 SB (2014 is the oldest, there was an update in 2018 circuit board and programming to run more efficient and i see the difference) 2 ARB ( oldest in from about 2002 newest is 2018), indel B and a few other off brands.

Indel b has one that will fit, i just didnt like it because the controls were in the back on the model i have. All of them use the same BD 35f compressor. so programming and insulation is what makes the most difference in them.

That's good to know. It seems like there are a handful of compressors on the market, but the assembly quality varies. There are a number of cheap fridges on amazon but they suffer from quality issues -- much like SB Arctic.

We are a fam of 4..... but eat like 6... ha. Seriously.... my wife and I and a 14 and 21 yo girls.
The engel is good for about 3-4 days.
We sure could use a bigger one but could not get ourself to get the Smitty arctic as there have been mixed reviews and a larger power consumption.

If i may ask -- do you pack your fruits/vegies/produce into the fridge as well or is it mainly meats/dairty/etc that lives in there? 3-4 days is realistically how long we go for, so it'd work.

Speaking of SB Arctic, the dimensions listed on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2789-Arctic-Fridge-Freezer/dp/B00S9G7LFE) are 28.2 x 23.5 x 15.7 inches which larger than the genny compartment accroding to SB: 13.75" x 23.75" x 25.5". What gives? Is SB Arctic truly a drop in fit?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
That's good to know. It seems like there are a handful of compressors on the market, but the assembly quality varies. There are a number of cheap fridges on amazon but they suffer from quality issues -- much like SB Arctic.

If i may ask -- do you pack your fruits/vegies/produce into the fridge as well or is it mainly meats/dairty/etc that lives in there? 3-4 days is realistically how long we go for, so it'd work.

Speaking of SB Arctic, the dimensions listed on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2789-Arctic-Fridge-Freezer/dp/B00S9G7LFE) are 28.2 x 23.5 x 15.7 inches which larger than the genny compartment accroding to SB: 13.75" x 23.75" x 25.5". What gives? Is SB Arctic truly a drop in fit?

Actually, we went to Wallymart a couple of years ago and got their softsided Ozark Trail round cooler. It fits perfect into the side box. We store veggies in that. The right side box as a matter of fact is for chips and other edibles. This way only things that have to be refere'd will go in the Engel...… Including bieeeeer… ")

they fit for me, maybe the Internets are wrong on specs. you do know the size of the generator drawer has changed slightly over the years but should fit. They changed the height and air cut outs a while back.

Attachments

• SB dimensions.jpg
    SB dimensions.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 34

trae

Adventurer
Hi Richard.
From what I understood, it could be used as either gen, or fridge. I do not have a good one picked out, that fits, yet. It is a tight space wrt with and depth to a certain extend, and I have not found a good alternative to the Smitty arctic fridge, which does fit right in. I have been close to pulling the trigger on the smitty several times, but are a bit intimidated by the terrible reviews it has gotten. Amazon has it right now for $467, which is a crazy price....arrrrgggg.
On to your question. I have not drilled any vents yet, so what you see is what I have from the factory. I currently have a heat sink fridge, but it pulls 4.7 amps and does in fact emit a lot of heat, but the compressor style should not need a vent to remove heat. Or at least in theory. :) :)
I think I will work on that after I decide what to do wrt the fridge purchase.

Erling

@ebrabaek sorry to bring back this post from way back. still looking at fridges -- is smittybuilt arct2789 supposed to be a dropin?

According to https://www.quadratec.com/products/96010_4000_07.htm it's 30in x 23in x 15in which wouldn't fit.

SB Arctic is supposed to be a copy of Indel B TB51A which amazon shows as 24 x 14.8 x 22.8 inches which is also too big.

Is this the fridge you have?

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Added some L-track to the top for holding gear. used 10 bolts per rail with large washers and sealed underneath. I also have the stud mounts to add cross bars if needed. This is on thing I have been meaning to do and now that I have the time I finally got around to it.

20200328_145450.jpg20200328_145456.jpg20200328_150214.jpg20200328_184038.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
@ebrabaek sorry to bring back this post from way back. still looking at fridges -- is smittybuilt arct2789 supposed to be a dropin?

According to https://www.quadratec.com/products/96010_4000_07.htm it's 30in x 23in x 15in which wouldn't fit.

SB Arctic is supposed to be a copy of Indel B TB51A which amazon shows as 24 x 14.8 x 22.8 inches which is also too big.

Is this the fridge you have?

No worries at all Trae. I actually has the Engel marine 40qt. It needed just a bit of propping up to fit. Smitty only makes on arctic fridge. Their unit will fit as a drop in. I have seen it on a couple occasions where it does in fact fit right in. I am not sure wrt the Indel B, but I have heard other s talking about the fact that the arctic is just a rebranded Indel B. I am sorry that I cant be of more assistance. Perhaps someone else can chime in???

trae

Adventurer
Gotcha thanks. At this point, I'm just gonna wing it (when the situation improves a bit) with a fridge I'm eyeing. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Interesting that SB claims their fridge is 52 qt and yours is 40qt but required some "finesse" :)

Kraxler

Added some L-track to the top for holding gear. used 10 bolts per rail with large washers and sealed underneath. I also have the stud mounts to add cross bars if needed. This is on thing I have been meaning to do and now that I have the time I finally got around to it.

View attachment 576351View attachment 576352View attachment 576353View attachment 576354
How did you run your electrical wires from the top to the trailer box? I haven't figured out a way to do it without them blowing in the wind while driving.. Thanks.
Nice setup.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Gotcha thanks. At this point, I'm just gonna wing it (when the situation improves a bit) with a fridge I'm eyeing. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Interesting that SB claims their fridge is 52 qt and yours is 40qt but required some "finesse" :)

That is because their fridge is quite taller than mine. I have seen both and theirs are bigger for shure.
Theirs are the best fit, but I just inserted a 2 inch block of foam on the bottom of the drawer and I was rocking it.

trae

Adventurer
That is because their fridge is quite taller than mine. I have seen both and theirs are bigger for shure.
Theirs are the best fit, but I just inserted a 2 inch block of foam on the bottom of the drawer and I was rocking it.

Fair point. Anyway, this is just me procrastinating. Have all the gear ready to go; there are a few places I know that are snow free but would be irresponsible to go right now. So just procrastinating and dreaming of a time I can actually go camping with the fam.

garrett93

Observer
So my trailer jack broke once before and it's starting to feel weak again. Instead of another warranty I was just going to upgrade. Has anyone upgraded the front trailer jack, if so what'd ya go with?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
So my trailer jack broke once before and it's starting to feel weak again. Instead of another warranty I was just going to upgrade. Has anyone upgraded the front trailer jack, if so what'd ya go with?

Several of us have. You have to fish back several threads though. I went with the ark 750.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles