Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

McDowra

Observer
We ended up with the Darche 270 awning and mounted it to the intended awning risers. Darche awning came with brackets to mount it.

I flipped the provided mounts so the "flange" was inboard of the risers and mounted the brackets to the now unobstructed horizontals.
Could you post a picture please?

thardin68

Could you post a picture please?
I dont have any detailed pics of connections, but have a deployed photo. I'm 2,500 miles away and trailer is stored and inaccessible, sorry

Here is Darche hardware kit with 270 awning
0025402_eclipse-270-awning.jpeg

Here is a deployed shot
20190801_073458.jpg

Here is a shot of it mounted, but not a detail shot. You may be able to zoom in on the flange I refer to being reversed on the post that you mount the awning to...
20190721_201806.jpg

Grak

Air tank for the tires. I have a compressor but it is sometimes nice to have a bit stored.
Specially if you have to seal a bead.
Oh. Yeah I have a Powertank, I just assumed you were doing something unique and clever like the other ideas on your trailer lol

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Oh. Yeah I have a Powertank, I just assumed you were doing something unique and clever like the other ideas on your trailer lol

Ha.... Right. I really did not plan on it, but as the O2 tank was to be thrown away on inspection last month on the plane, I simply could not refuse the idea of hacking a green bottle on the smitty. So lemme ask.... Do you find the powertank helpful in storing air, or is it depleted after only a few seconds.
Reason I ask is I am considering upping the compressor to a Viaair 400P auto, which turns off and on automatically. The idea was to plug it to the tank and just let it rim in auto, and then just discharge from the tank to each tire, and compressor takes care of itself.

thardin68

Ha.... Right. I really did not plan on it, but as the O2 tank was to be thrown away on inspection last month on the plane, I simply could not refuse the idea of hacking a green bottle on the smitty. So lemme ask.... Do you find the powertank helpful in storing air, or is it depleted after only a few seconds.
Reason I ask is I am considering upping the compressor to a Viaair 400P auto, which turns off and on automatically. The idea was to plug it to the tank and just let it rim in auto, and then just discharge from the tank to each tire, and compressor takes care of itself.
Powertank is a CO2 system. Co2 stored at high pressure with a regulator tailored to the hobby. I have used them for years wheeling and I can usually fill my (4) 37" Toyo's from 8-10psi aired down to my running pressure of 27psi about 6 times before I need a refill on a 10# tank. I have the Monster valves which make airing down all 4 tires very fast, maybe a minute for all 4. Airing up with the power tank and monster valves takes about 25 seconds each corner. Setting beads and running air tools are great withth is set-up.

I also run a single ARB pump mounted under hood, which I use for ARB locker and for airing up when I'm not in a hurry to save on CO2 (when there is beer in the cooler).

In my opinion, if you can afford a power tank and a small compressor, you are FAR ahead of where you would be with a compressor and tank. You have redundancy and FAR superior pressures to work with when needed. There are a million places to have the tank filled, but if you are moving fast on a long distance haul, having to wait a day for a refill could be a pain. But for a week trip or so, I cant imagine you would need to refill the tank....

misubisu

Got a 4 inch drop receiver for the trailer side and now it rides level with the Land Cruiser. I'm going to try and see if I can remove the extension and still open the rear tire carrier.

That trailer sure sitting a long way from the car!
Almost need a sign on the back of the trailer saying "Caution, Long load" ;-)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Powertank is a CO2 system. Co2 stored at high pressure with a regulator tailored to the hobby. I have used them for years wheeling and I can usually fill my (4) 37" Toyo's from 8-10psi aired down to my running pressure of 27psi about 6 times before I need a refill on a 10# tank. I have the Monster valves which make airing down all 4 tires very fast, maybe a minute for all 4. Airing up with the power tank and monster valves takes about 25 seconds each corner. Setting beads and running air tools are great withth is set-up.

I also run a single ARB pump mounted under hood, which I use for ARB locker and for airing up when I'm not in a hurry to save on CO2 (when there is beer in the cooler).

In my opinion, if you can afford a power tank and a small compressor, you are FAR ahead of where you would be with a compressor and tank. You have redundancy and FAR superior pressures to work with when needed. There are a million places to have the tank filled, but if you are moving fast on a long distance haul, having to wait a day for a refill could be a pain. But for a week trip or so, I cant imagine you would need to refill the tank....

I thought of going high pressure as this tank is hydro'd to 3000 psi and nominal pressure is 1850, but scratched the idea for the simple reason I wanted to be able to inflate it myself. I did look at the booster kits from power tank that would allow me to do that myself, but in reality with a f150 in the front of the smitty wont need to air down that much as that tractor aint too "jeep'ish" … :) :)

bshinn

I'll 2nd those comments. I have a 15# tank which turned out to be overkill, I also have an ARB Twin Air that I started with under the passengers seat. CO2 if you're in a hurry, compressor if you have the time and don't mind the noise.

LeadFreeBullets

Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.View attachment 521807View attachment 521807View attachment 521808View attachment 521809View attachment 521810View attachment 521811View attachment 521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

Hi can I ask you for some pictures of the bumper carrier mounting to the trailer
And is there any issues that have come up having it mounted with all the weight now that you have taken it out
Many Thanks Stan
Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.View attachment 521807View attachment 521807View attachment 521808View attachment 521809View attachment 521810View attachment 521811View attachment 521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

Hi can I ask you to post pictures of the bumper and tire carrier attaching to the trailer as would like to do this to my Smittybilt trailer
Also any issues with metal fatigue showing where you attached to the trailer
Many Thanks in Advance Stan

Kraxler

Hi can I ask you for some pictures of the bumper carrier mounting to the trailer
And is there any issues that have come up having it mounted with all the weight now that you have taken it out
Many Thanks Stan

Hi can I ask you to post pictures of the bumper and tire carrier attaching to the trailer as would like to do this to my Smittybilt trailer
Also any issues with metal fatigue showing where you attached to the trailer
Many Thanks in Advance Stan
So far no cracking or signs of metal fatigue. There are fairly large weld areas holding thing together. The mount is removable with three bolts. It's mounted to factory points. The hitch and the two d ring recovery pointsimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
77d08ab8236e32bebffc84458e11d497.jpg
1f3992b08e17053985bed5cad6f941fe.jpg
ba9808bc8e66c0a6276907fcb5881b3b.jpg
7494038a4fb7816f210626bb863c688b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bt00561

Got my boxes from RC Industries. They're really nice, made of aluminum. Sizes are 35x17x13 and couldn't fit better. I used the holes of the rib and the two eyebolts at the top of the side to secure them, along with a good coat of silicon.

View attachment 542635

View attachment 542636

I added the latches myself outside of the boxes so that when I open them there isn't any kind of mechanism inside.

View attachment 542641

Do you have a part number for these boxes? I looked through their stuff but looks like most of their boxes come with latches.

Catalanbull

Do you have a part number for these boxes? I looked through their stuff but looks like most of their boxes come with latches.
Hey,

RC Industries only make boxes to specs. I PM'd you the drawing they made for me to the specs I gave them. I couldn't be happier with the boxes, not cheap tho. They can also make them steel for about half the price.

Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles