Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

misubisu

Disaster struck today.
I was driving down the highway at 100 kph and all of a sudden, I could see the top of the trailer in my rear view mirror...
The only thing that stopped the trailer dragging on the road, is the jerry cans full of petrol wedged between the main trailer and the tongue box.
For the record; the trailer is 1,110kg fully loaded with a 110kg tongue weight.
Considering the trailer is rated at a much heavier weight that that, this should not have happened.
View attachment 564050View attachment 564051
So... how's Smittybilt when it comes to claiming warranty... in Australia ???
I've just been contacted by JeepKonection where I purchased the trailer from... Smittybilt have contacted them and advised that they are sending a new draw-bar for the trailer... where JeepKonection will then replace it for me.
Unfortunately, the new draw-bar will likely not arrive until around June, so I won't be doing any camping for a while... but at least the trailer will be at the same standard as the newer trailers.
Other issues that the failure caused: The handbrake cable has stretched and possible the brakes are prematurely worn or damaged. The lights wiring is damaged as the trailer lights were not working correctly after the failure.
I still have to get the trailer to the place where the repairs will be carried out... a distance of approx 150 kilometers. Hoping I won't be out of pocket for that expense!
I'll report back after the repairs have been completed, and let you know the result!

TwinStick

Explorer
Tongue weight is just one aspect here. I say what others have said, someone went overboard with the grinder on the welds but I also think that it is just under built in that area.

I am no engineer but there is front to back stress, up & down stress, twisting L&R stress. By unloading the front, it creates a stress when vehicle & then trailer hit a bump at highway speed. Weight of trailer may be constant but changing weight distribution can also change stress points. I do not think you did anything wrong. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of total trailer weight. I think it is simply under built in the A frame area. Hope they get you fixed up & fix their issues or it may put a hurtin' on their business.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Looks like the NHTSA put a recall in on the trailer. But its because of it missing a proper GVWR label/Vin number. Not because of the tongue breaking. It says all owners/dealers would be notified before Dec 3 2018... funny Smittybilt or 4wheel parts never once contacted me lol.

I was contacted by SB june of 2019, but with an offer to get a vin decal. I chatted with them regarding the above mentioned issue, and the guy I spoke with was sorta vague in that regard. Nothing about a GVWR. Did not think it was needed as it was sold as a kit. It does however have such rating..... 3300
pounds I think but I could be wrong.

misubisu

but I also think that it is just under built in that area.
I totally agree with you TwinStick. The trailer is definitely under designed in this area.
The fact that over grinding a couple of welds can case catastrophic failure is a clear indication of poor design.
And they knew there was a weak spot. because on the two bends there is that extra very small plate added to the join on both side bends. This plate has ripped in two like it wasn't there. This trailer is advertised and sold as an off road trailer and although I have driven it on plenty of dirt roads, and several that were pretty rough... I have never taken it off road! Clearly it would have fallen apart a lot sooner if I had.
I regret buying the trailer now... I wonder what else is under designed. Waiting to fail. Even when it is fixed, that will always be in the back of my mind.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Just a reminder, the tongue box is not dust proof. After 200 miles on the Camino del Diablo the box was filled with dust and the items I had on top were covered in sand.

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_140324561_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200208_140324561_HDR.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200208_140327587_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200208_140327587_HDR.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200208_140348523.jpg
    IMG_20200208_140348523.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 79

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Some pictures from a recent trip on the Camino Del Diablo. Other than putting 26" tires on the trailer, I need to figure out how to get it to ride level. I'm thinking a 4 inch riser either on the truck side or on the trailer side. Whatever works the best.

IMG_20200204_120151491_HDR.jpgIMG_20200204_120916979_HDR.jpgIMG_20200204_134308096.jpgIMG_20200204_150816063_HDR.jpg

The recall only pertained to vehicles sold with tires and wheels as they were complete vehicles and required a VIN. kits sold without tires and wheels were a parts kit so no VIN required for selling parts.

I believe a TSB was sent out for trailers might have the weld ground smooth and all trailers should have the reinforcement plates installed. Does not apply to 2019 models.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
The recall only pertained to vehicles sold with tires and wheels as they were complete vehicles and required a VIN. kits sold without tires and wheels were a parts kit so no VIN required for selling parts.

I believe a TSB was sent out for trailers might have the weld ground smooth and all trailers should have the reinforcement plates installed. Does not apply to 2019 models.

I did not get a TSB but that could because SB saw that I had modded and welded mine myself.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I had to call them up. Mine was built in March 2017.. welds are good (well not ground down.. good is subjective). They did not call me either, presumably because my welds were not ground down. But they sent me the kit anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles